[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The "Official" American Idol Thread

Chief Dick

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I missed the first episode, but, have watched the last 3. I definitely miss having Simon on the show, but, the new judges aren't doing too bad. I think he will be missed more when they start singing live. The one story that got me was the young guy with the beautiful fiancee. He was planning to marry her, and she got in an awful car accident. They thought she was going to die, but, she pulled through. She is now severely brain damaged and disabled. The fiancee and the girl's mother are her caregivers. He said that he was about to give his vowels, and there was no way he was leaving her when she needed him most. He was also a damn good singer. They brought in the girl after the audition. I'm an admitted sap, but, that one got to me. :wacko:

Oh, and the Miss Tennessee girl......Wow :tup:

• 2 weeks later...

The contestant Holly Cavanaugh was the one that was really nervous at the Austin auditions but they let her through. She was a lot better in Hollywood last night and was passed through to the next round. The cool thing is that she sits behind my son in his High School Economics class. He doesn't really know her but still she is a local girl.

We were joking around with my son who said "I didn't want to tell you guys about her because I knew you would say I should ask her out." I told him "oh no, she's already out of your league now. You missed your shot when she was just a regular person."

The contestant Holly Cavanaugh was the one that was really nervous at the Austin auditions but they let her through. She was a lot better in Hollywood last night and was passed through to the next round. The cool thing is that she sits behind my son in his High School Economics class. He doesn't really know her but still she is a local girl.

We were joking around with my son who said "I didn't want to tell you guys about her because I knew you would say I should ask her out." I told him "oh no, she's already out of your league now. You missed your shot when she was just a regular person."

She's the one that cries at everything. We were talking about her and didn't think she's go too far into the competition without having a nervous breakdown. I wish her the best, but she really needs to calm down. I told the SO that there are probably alot of great singers in this world that we'll never know about because they are too scared to get up in front of a crowd.

The biggest one I've been wrong about is the boyfriend/girlfriend combo. I thought the guy was better than she was and they'd square off in the final 8 or so. He was cut last night and she made it. I couldn't believe it. It was awkward watching him try to sing his way back in and make a speech though.

She's the one that cries at everything. We were talking about her and didn't think she's go too far into the competition without having a nervous breakdown. I wish her the best, but she really needs to calm down. I told the SO that there are probably alot of great singers in this world that we'll never know about because they are too scared to get up in front of a crowd.

The biggest one I've been wrong about is the boyfriend/girlfriend combo. I thought the guy was better than she was and they'd square off in the final 8 or so. He was cut last night and she made it. I couldn't believe it. It was awkward watching him try to sing his way back in and make a speech though.

that dude was pathetic. he couldn't handle that his girlfriend made it through and he didn't.

didnt think I'd watch this season until I found out John Wayne Schulz (from my hometown) was in the mix. I dont know him personally, just his family. Last Thursday he made it thru the first Hollywood cuts even though they didnt show him on that episode. HIs cousin is keeping us posted about his progress on FB.

Has anyone ever explained why they have a group day when this is as far away from a group contest as you can get? I hate that stupid part. Can we finally skip this??? It's not American Idols...it's American Idol.

Yeah, really sucks for those who get stuck with a bad group and get the boot because of it or, just as bad, someone who sucks but makes it because they are with a strong group.

Has anyone ever explained why they have a group day when this is as far away from a group contest as you can get? I hate that stupid part. Can we finally skip this??? It's not American Idols...it's American Idol.

we were talking about this last nite too..i think it is to see how they deal with adversity :wacko:

The groups allow the judges to process them all much more quickly since it is more 4 people performing at a time. It is also a way to apply stress to the singers because if you cannot handle group day, you cannot handle the rigors of the competition or just that if general performing. That all said, I agree some people get a perk of a good group and others may be sunk by theirs but the judges do pick and choose from the groups.

I wish they would go ahead & let the whacked out chick off the hook. She flat out blew it tonight and still got through.

:wacko: As much as I hate to admit it, Drama queens are a big draw to the show. They always, ALWAYS let a few through. She'll get washed out of the fold during the big show.

There is definitely some talented kids this year. I'm also surprised how much I'm enjoying it with the new judges. I think Simon will still be missed once they really get it started.

There is definitely some talented kids this year. I'm also surprised how much I'm enjoying it with the new judges. I think Simon will still be missed once they really get it started.

disagree. i haven't missed him at all. after 9 years or so, it's not like there's anything from him we have not seen. tyler and j lo have been great.

disagree. i haven't missed him at all. after 9 years or so, it's not like there's anything from him we have not seen. tyler and j lo have been great.

I agree. Especially Tyler. He is really entertaining. Simon was just downright mean the last couple of years.

Kinder, gentler Idol is OK with me. Weird that Randy is now the mean one.

I like a number of the contestants' chances. You never know who will blossom in the competition.

As much as I felt for the kid being kicked out of the one group, I doubt he makes the final cut.

I think the new judges have been outstanding. The meaness is largely gone and I do not miss it. Lopez and Tyler both seem to want to help the singers and have already proven themselves as tremendous talents that know what they are talking about. They are the sort of judges the show should have had all along but I guess had to prove itself to merit getting them. I imagine Tyler and Lopez won't do it for more than a year or two and I'll miss them way more than Simon who IMO was so obviously bored with what he was doing was not a plus for the last couple of seasons.

I cannot believe they allowed the basketcase woman through but as someone else said, she is just there for the TV entertainment element. My son's schoolmate (Holly) made the top cut so far.