[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

House GOP proposes $2.5 Trillion in cuts.

Perchoutofwater

As for the deficit, CBO shows that over the first three years of the Obama Presidency, 2009-2011, the federal government will borrow an estimated $3.7 trillion. That is more than the entire accumulated national debt for the first 225 years of U.S. history. By 2019, the interest payments on this debt will be larger than the budget for education, roads and all other nondefense discretionary spending.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
For those that complained about the GOP plan not addressing Medicare and SS, what do you think about Obama's new budget proposal?

I like his proposed budget. I think he's sticking his neck out a lot more than those in his base would like. As far as the GOP, they're the proclaimed deficit hawks, let them propose the Medicare and SS cuts. Why should Obama take the political fall out for pushing the GOP's agenda?

I like his proposed budget. I think he's sticking his neck out a lot more than those in his base would like. As far as the GOP, they're the proclaimed deficit hawks, let them propose the Medicare and SS cuts. Why should Obama take the political fall out for pushing the GOP's agenda?

so fixing the entitlement fiasco is now "the GOP's agenda"? why should obama put forth a responsible budget plan, it's all on them now, huh? see, that sort of thinking right there is why the problem never gets fixed. just pass that buck back and forth.

For those that complained about the GOP plan not addressing Medicare and SS, what do you think about Obama's new budget proposal?

Wait a minute. So taking the GOP to task for their constant we need to cut cut cut cut cut (oops, except for stuff that our constituents like) is equal to Obama not doing the same thing? :wacko: The GOP has made it their mantra to cut spending. So now Obama should suddenly espousing the GOP agenda? You DO know that Obama is a Democrat, right?

Hell, I am shocked to see Obama propose a budget with any cuts at all. But that is exactly what he has done. It has become commonplace to attack Obama for not doing what the Republicans want, yet Obama has CUT taxes, extended the Bush tax cuts and continued the wars in Iraq/Afghanistan. Hell, he has done quite a bit furthering the GOP agenda! yet he is stil the debbil . . . .

But I am sure that the GOP will now start working hard to come up with a fix to health care, cutting defense spending and medicare/medicaid and SS. Because their track record has been soooo reliable in cutting spending that matters versus window dressing cuts to things like NPR that keep the the uninformed happy and thinking that the GOP represents "real change and reducing our taxes and spending in wasteful Washington". :lol:

Obama going after SS and medicare medicaid is equivalent to the GOP endorsing same sex marriages, legalizing Josh Gordon and saying that illegal immigration is just hunky dory. That is to say . . . it aint gonna happen. Doesnt mean that it shouldnt be done, but that it is highly unlikely

The GOP/Tea leaves party campaigned heavily on cutting spending right? But they just didint mean the 95% of the spending that actually matters or that would keep them from getting re-elected? What a shocker! :tup:

so fixing the entitlement fiasco is now "the GOP's agenda"? why should obama put forth a responsible budget plan, it's all on them now, huh? see, that sort of thinking right there is why the problem never gets fixed. just pass that buck back and forth.

Maybe you werent paying attention during the last election cycle. Remember a movement called the "TEA party"? Remember how much they hate taxes? Did that mean the discretionary crumbs? Or does that mean the massive debt drivers? Didnt they say something about cutting down the size of gubmnet? I cant wait to see their proposals on SS, defense spedning and medicare medicaid!!

I think it's a very responsible budget plan and hopefully the start of a negotiation between both parties. The last time Obama brought up cost savings discussions regarding entitlement programs that affect seniors he was hit over the head with the whole "death panel" accusations from the right. Now it's time to hear from the right on how to tackle these issues.

Obama going after SS and medicare medicaid is equivalent to the GOP endorsing same sex marriages, legalizing Josh Gordon and saying that illegal immigration is just hunky dory. That is to say . . . it aint gonna happen. Doesnt mean that it shouldnt be done, but that it is highly unlikely

that is completely f'ing moronic. I can dig up quote after quote of obama talking (key word here) about the need to reform SS and medicare to make them solvent long term. here's one article written about that shortly after his inauguration.

"What we have done is kicked this can down the road. We are now at the end of the road and are not in a position to kick it any further," he said. "We have to signal seriousness in this by making sure some of the hard decisions are made under my watch, not someone else's."

right, and now two years later, gutless obama and his gutless knob-slobbers like barackpwallace are doing their absolute best to kick that can into someone else's court. pathetic. :wacko:

I find it interesting that Obama commissioned a blue ribbon panel to tackle the debt, and then totally ignores their recommendations in his budget. BP, the way you constantly defend the guy, and try to shift the blame to the GOP is ridiculous. Both parties are to blame, but which was the last one to suggest significantly overhauling SS?

I think it's a very responsible budget plan and hopefully the start of a negotiation between both parties. The last time Obama brought up cost savings discussions regarding entitlement programs that affect seniors he was hit over the head with the whole "death panel" accusations from the right. Now it's time to hear from the right on how to tackle these issues.

Surely you jest-The party of NO and very short memory?

I find it interesting that Obama commissioned a blue ribbon panel to tackle the debt, and then totally ignores their recommendations in his budget.

it's pretty simple. he's decided that two years of fiscal stalemate are in his best interests, and that having no plan to address the looming fiscal crisis is better for his reelection prospects than having a plan. after all, making sure the country doesn't go bankrupt in the not-too-distant future? hey, that's a "GOP issue" :wacko:

Obama won the Nobel Prize...that makes him smart or something. I'm sure he'll figure something out.

Perch, how much did that blue ribbon panel cost the taxpayers? :wacko: Or maybe it was "free"...like his healthcare.

Edited by TimC

washington post editorial board: obama punted

obama cheerleader andrew sullivan:

There is some hope, as David Brooks has noted. Those who want to save the useful things that government alone can do, while pulling back from the fiscal brink, have to

get behind an effort now being hatched by a group of courageous senators: Saxby Chambliss, Mark Warner, Tom Coburn, Dick Durbin, Mike Crapo and Kent Conrad. These public heroes have been leading an effort to write up the Simpson-Bowles deficit commission report as legislation to serve as the beginning for a serious effort to get our house in order. They’ve been meeting with 20 to 40 of their colleagues to push this along.

They have to lead, because this president is too weak, too cautious, too beholden to politics over policy to lead. In this budget, in his refusal to do anything concrete to tackle the looming entitlement debt, in his failure to address the generational injustice, in his blithe indifference to the increasing danger of default, he has betrayed those of us who took him to be a serious president prepared to put the good of the country before his short term political interests. Like his State of the Union, this budget is good short term politics but such a massive pile of fiscal bulldiaper dirt it makes it perfectly clear that Obama is kicking this vital issue down the road.

To all those under 30 who worked so hard to get this man elected, know this: he just screwed you over. He thinks you’re fools. Either the US will go into default because of Obama’s cowardice, or you will be paying far far more for far far less because this president has no courage when it counts. He let you down. On the critical issue of America’s fiscal crisis, he represents no hope and no change. Just the same old Washington politics he once promised to end.”

Both parties are to blame, but which was the last one to suggest significantly overhauling SS?

Are you talking about the "option" to "privatize" a "portion" of SS? Because I thought that was a drop in the bucket, but people would be stupid not to opt out of the government nonsense (that probably won't be there by the time I retire). Repubs controlled all 3 portions of gubment and still couldn't get that pushed through. All those photo ops of Bush looking through filing cabinets of IOUs from government to the people it's robbed over the years were wasted. They couldn't get enough of these greedy f-ers to stop future politicians from having the ability to raid the fund in the future. God, I hate the political process.

I find it interesting that Obama commissioned a blue ribbon panel to tackle the debt, and then totally ignores their recommendations in his budget. BP, the way you constantly defend the guy, and try to shift the blame to the GOP is ridiculous. Both parties are to blame, but which was the last one to suggest significantly overhauling SS?

Oh boy...how soon before BP comes in with his "both sides are wrong bs"? Love it when he gets exposed then shifts gear.

Who voted in favor of the panel's recommendations and who voted against, generating not one but two alternative reports?

Who voted in favor of the panel's recommendations and who voted against, generating not one but two alternative reports?

More Democrats voted against it than Republicans. Additionally I'd add that it had much broader support from the GOP congressmen that were not on the panel than it did from Dems not on the panel. Most of the GOP thought it was basically a good idea that needed some fine tuning. I believe it was Pelosi that said it was DOA.

More Democrats voted against it than Republicans. Additionally I'd add that it had much broader support from the GOP congressmen that were not on the panel than it did from Dems not on the panel. Most of the GOP thought it was basically a good idea that needed some fine tuning. I believe it was Pelosi that said it was DOA.

that is accurate, most of the dissent on the panel came from the left. the most prominent republican on the panel to vote against the bowles-simpson proposal was paul ryan, who no one can accuse of punting on these issues.

Even split, pretty much.

Votes:

For:

Sen. Alan Simpson, former Republican senator from Wyoming

Erskine Bowles, who served as chief of staff to President Clinton.

Tom Coburn (R-Okla.),

Kent Conrad (D-N.D.),

Dick Durbin (D-Ill.),

Mike Crapo (R-Idaho)

Judd Gregg (R-N.H.)

Rep. John Spratt (D-S.C.)

David Cote, the CEO of Honeywell International

Ann Fudge, the former CEO of Young & Rubicam Brands

Alice Rivlin, the former director of the Office of Management & Budget,

Against

Sen. Max Baucus (D-Mont.)

Reps. Paul Ryan (R-Wis.)

Jeb Hensarling (R-Texas)

David Camp (R-Mich.),

Xavier Becerra (D-Calif.)

Jan Schakowsky (D-Ill.)

Former Service Employees International Union President Andy Stern

Edited by Ursa Majoris

More on the Boner jet engine

George W Bush tried to cut this too. This is going to be a hugh test for the GOP new guys versus the GOP old guard.

It's small potatoes (isn't that what Dems say about $450 Million), but I'll be disappointed if it is not cut. If it isn't cut, it will prove that Boehner like Obama is nothing more than a politician trying to get re-elected. If that is the case I'll do everything that I can to see that he is not, or at the very least that someone else is speaker.

It's small potatoes (isn't that what Dems say about $450 Million), but I'll be disappointed if it is not cut. If it isn't cut, it will prove that Boehner like Obama is nothing more than a politician trying to get re-elected. If that is the case I'll do everything that I can to see that he is not, or at the very least that someone else is speaker.

It's 3 billion over a few years but the value of this issue is in the commitment to reducing the deficit that Boner displays. His problem is that it is in his own back yard but is an obvious candidate for cutting. I agree that in the greater scheme it is barely chips, never mind potatoes but symbolically, coming so early in the game, this is a hugh issue.