[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Very hard decision to make.

tbimm

As most of you know I went out on my own and started Tommy's Car Care. Things started out OK but have not stayed that way. Business has ground to a halt and due to the fact that I had very little to fall back on I have decided to close the doors for a bit. I am very against taking on a lot of debt and maybe that is short sighted but it is how I am. Luckily I was able to keep myself in a position where I don't have to break a lease nor do I have any hugh loans to repay. I just have to stop the bleeding before I end up owing the people who have helped me get started so much money that it ruins my name here.

Not real sure what my next move is but I will, as always, land on my feet.

I am very disappointed today. This was not an easy decision!

As most of you know I went out on my own and started Tommy's Car Care. Things started out OK but have not stayed that way. Business has ground to a halt and due to the fact that I had very little to fall back on I have decided to close the doors for a bit. I am very against taking on a lot of debt and maybe that is short sighted but it is how I am. Luckily I was able to keep myself in a position where I don't have to break a lease nor do I have any hugh loans to repay. I just have to stop the bleeding before I end up owing the people who have helped me get started so much money that it ruins my name here.

Not real sure what my next move is but I will, as always, land on my feet.

I am very disappointed today. This was not an easy decision!

That sucks, sorry to hear. You should be commended for wanting to make it right with those who helped you. Now get back out there and put your talents to work, save up and go at it again in a stable economy.

I am very sorry to hear this, dude. Here are two quotes that I draw inspiration from when I'm lost as to what to do next.

"Go back a little to leap further." - John Clarke

"It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed." - Theodore Roosevelt

And to be quite honest, going by the title of this thread I thought you were finally ready to take that leap and begin the hormone treatments for your gender reassignment surgery :wacko:

Your announcement along with Det's thread about telling his wife about the business really tells me more about the economy than all the talking heads on TV. Hang in there. Good things come to good people. :wacko:

Yeah I avoided Det's thread as I was agonizing over this decision when I read it. I did however call my GF to thank her for being my rock!

I am trying real hard to stay positive and be grateful for the fact that I have a very marketable skill set. Taking a quiet day here at the house and then going in to the shop for the next 4 days to wrap up all my responsibilities. Need to let all the customers know that their warranties will be honored and that I will be working at least weekends for myself to keep them on the road.

Meeting tomorrow with the owner of my parts house to make things right with them.

I really thought I could make this work. I finally have to admit that the current economy has beaten me for now! :tup:

I am very sorry to hear this, dude. Here are two quotes that I draw inspiration from when I'm lost as to what to do next.

"Go back a little to leap further." - John Clarke

"It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed." - Theodore Roosevelt

And to be quite honest, going by the title of this thread I thought you were finally ready to take that leap and begin the hormone treatments for your gender reassignment surgery :wacko:

Thanks for the laugh cliaz. Haven't done much of that lately.

Yeah, that really sucks man. I've never even had the guts to try something like that, so you are to be commended for that. I've always wanted to try. Hang in and give it another go sometime. My father in law always said everything happens for a reason. Keep your chin up.

As for the economy rebounding......... here in Ontario, Canada I'm hearing politicians say we're going to gain 100,000 jobs in manufacturing. I call BS, we've lost 10X that many manufacturing jobs here in the last 15 years. The good paying jobs are gone. The work can be done in state of the art facilities in Mexico for $5 a day and a hot lunch per worker(which is mandated by the Mexican Gov't). The times that I knew when I started working are gone and they'll never be back.

Is there anyway you can keep limited drop off and pickup hours, and continue operation during the lean times?

Yeah sort of. I would really like to keep things rolling but the overhead of the SHOP is really the last thing I can cut out of my budget. I won't let my health and life insurance go and I have a brilliant daughter in college who needs my help financially.

I quit drinking a long time ago and I am working very hard on quitting smoking as well. I don't eat out nor spend money on anything I don't have to have. I just don't know where else to cut back and still be able to have the shop available to me.

I over estimated my clientele and got screwed on a couple of mid range jobs. The money owed to me will probably come back to me but until business picks up in general I can't pay the rent and shop insurance. I won't stay in the shop without insurance as that opens my landlord up to liability.

It is not just me that is slow. All the shops in the area are begging for work. Problem is that people just don't have the money to spend so they are driving the cars until they die and then they just take the bus. The difference between me and the other shops is that they have been around long enough to have a bit of fall back money for the slow times. I just don't have that.

There are some other factors involved that I have not spoken openly about. This may wind up being a blessing in disguise. Just doesn't feel that way right now.

Yeah sort of. I would really like to keep things rolling but the overhead of the SHOP is really the last thing I can cut out of my budget. I won't let my health and life insurance go and I have a brilliant daughter in college who needs my help financially.

I quit drinking a long time ago and I am working very hard on quitting smoking as well. I don't eat out nor spend money on anything I don't have to have. I just don't know where else to cut back and still be able to have the shop available to me.

I over estimated my clientele and got screwed on a couple of mid range jobs. The money owed to me will probably come back to me but until business picks up in general I can't pay the rent and shop insurance. I won't stay in the shop without insurance as that opens my landlord up to liability.

It is not just me that is slow. All the shops in the area are begging for work. Problem is that people just don't have the money to spend so they are driving the cars until they die and then they just take the bus. The difference between me and the other shops is that they have been around long enough to have a bit of fall back money for the slow times. I just don't have that.

There are some other factors involved that I have not spoken openly about. This may wind up being a blessing in disguise. Just doesn't feel that way right now.

I do not know exactly what you do as far as car care goes so I am making an assumption here so if it is wrong, then ignore my post. Maybe you should contact UPS & Fedex to see if they would outsource their local fleets cleaning. You'd be surprised at just how many large corporations do this (I used to work for UPS and our landover facility did this w/ the permission of the local union).

Also, call up firehouses, EMS stations, local post office and places like that. Ambulance & fire trucks MUST been kept clean at all times. You would have to go there to perform any services but hey, it's a client.

Dunno, just throwing out ideas.

ETA: My assumption was car detailing

Edited by cliaz

A lot of it must be your area, my buddy owns a 4 bay tire and oil change + repairs shop here, they are doing very well.

Do you do the kwik lube thing? That keeps the wheels rolling and still lets you do the big $$$ jobs. Just a thought.

You are spot on with it being the area. We were behind the curve on the recession as we were still reaping the benefits (for lack of a better term) of the Katrina relief money. Now that the former administration has all that in their pockets we are feeling the pinch that most started feeling 3 years ago. The real manurety part of all of this is that I had decided when I started out if it got tough I would sell my motorcycle to keep things going when it got lean. Once that was stolen I no longer had the insurance policy against a lack of income.

I will revisit this in the near future but I am very skeptical about trying again in New Orleans. I have learned a lot about what it takes to run a business here and am not sure I am willing to jump through the hoops. Also as I stated in a previous post the crime is just starting to hit way too close to home. I am fairly certain that a relocation is in my future for many reasons.