[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Potentially Dangerous Ice Storms

Rovers

This massive storm system off of Oregon could be a very dangerous storm as it first moves southeast and turns over Oklahoma up the Tennessee valley and northeast from there. There will be a swath of potentially very dangerous ice storms between the rain and snow lines in this system.

While it can't be as bad as the Quebec ice storm of '98, which was a five day event, it still could be very nasty.

http://www.weather.com/outlook/weather-new...east_2011-01-28

Snow is one thing, but ice can be really destructive. The potential is there for significant danage to the grid with areas losing power for several days. Any above ground wire provided services could be interuppted for days as well. It all depends on just how it tracks and a combination of ground temps, the cold jet stream coming down from Canada and several other variables, but the potential destructive power this system has is scary. As much as one inch of ice could come down in some areas.

Just an early heads up for those who may be int the path of this thing. Might be a good idea to stock up on non perishables and make sure you have some kerosene if you have a heater. Batteries, radios, flashlights. Hand operated can opener. Wood for a fireplace if you have one. If you have been on the fence about buying a generator, this would be a good time.

It's always possible it's a false alarm, but I don't think so for people on the rain/snow line of this system. If nothing else, keep and eye on it. You can always use these items even if it misses, but being prepared could make life a lot easier if it is as bad as some amatuer meteorologists types I know have warned me about. I have learned to listen when they issue warnings. They are always days ahead of where mainsteam weather media is, and they are usually much more accurate.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are basically saying there are two options here in Philly:

Storm tracks south accross Virgina, and we get well over a foot of snow;

or it tracks north accross central PA, and we get several inches of ice.

Gimme the snow for 18 inches, Alex.

either way they'll shutdown the city for a week :wacko:

They are basically saying there are two options here in Philly:

Storm tracks south accross Virgina, and we get well over a foot of snow;

or it tracks north accross central PA, and we get several inches of ice.

Gimme the snow for 18 inches, Alex.

No kidding. Two feet of snow is better than an inch of ice. Several inches? Say goodbye to half the trees on your property and if you have overhead lines, power could be out for a week. Even getting into a vehicle would be difficult, never mind driving.

I just finished shopping. Yes... SPAM! and other canned goods, tuna, salmon, fruits, crackers, green bananas, anything that won't spoil and doesn't have to be heated or cooked, Parmalat milk. I will concentrate on consuming whatever is in the fridge and freezer the next few days. Maybe an over reaction, but it's all stuff I can eat sooner or later. Got a big cooler ready to get loaded and placed on the back porch if needed for whatever is left in the fridge. Gotta have mayo for tuna fish. Biggest worry would be bursting pipes if power goes out for a few days.

Like I said, could be a false alarm, but this system is likely to really fork a lot of people over with the ice. All depends on the track and other variables.

From what my friends are telling me, Philly and NYC are in the bulls eye for a major ice storm right now. There are about 5 different models, all computer based forecasting systems with their own independent forecasts. 4 of them say Philly and NY are forked. Only the euro model has it tracking further north which would mean a rainy mix instead.

No kidding. Two feet of snow is better than an inch of ice. Several inches? Say goodbye to half the trees on your property and if you have overhead lines, power could be out for a week. Even getting into a vehicle would be difficult, never mind driving.

I just finished shopping. Yes... SPAM! and other canned goods, tuna, salmon, fruits, crackers, green bananas, anything that won't spoil and doesn't have to be heated or cooked, Parmalat milk. I will concentrate on consuming whatever is in the fridge and freezer the next few days. Maybe an over reaction, but it's all stuff I can eat sooner or later. Got a big cooler ready to get loaded and placed on the back porch if needed for whatever is left in the fridge. Gotta have mayo for tuna fish. Biggest worry would be bursting pipes if power goes out for a few days.

Like I said, could be a false alarm, but this system is likely to really fork a lot of people over with the ice. All depends on the track and other variables.

From what my friends are telling me, Philly and NYC are in the bulls eye for a major ice storm right now. There are about 5 different models, all computer based forecasting systems with their own independent forecasts. 4 of them say Philly and NY are forked. Only the euro model has it tracking further north which would mean a rainy mix instead.

yeah just in time for my B'day! I am so done with this weather already.

Almost 80 here in Dallas today. Winter Ice Storm coming Monday night. I hate how the weather teases me with this sunshine.

That is the southern end of this system. The models are starting to show a more westerly track. That would mean the snow/ice line moves north. Still, someone is going to get a hugh ice storm, but Philly and NYC may escape the ice storm and this could be a rain event. Wash DC looks like it's going to get mostly rain. That would mean serious flooding combined with snow melt for much of the mid Atlantic and NE. One way or another, this storm is going to be a headache. It will be national news no matter how it tracks. Snow, ice, rain, floods.

That is the southern end of this system. The models are starting to show a more westerly track. That would mean the snow/ice line moves north. Still, someone is going to get a hugh ice storm, but Philly and NYC may escape the ice storm and this could be a rain event. Wash DC looks like it's going to get mostly rain. That would mean serious flooding combined with snow melt for much of the mid Atlantic and NE. One way or another, this storm is going to be a headache. It will be national news no matter how it tracks. Snow, ice, rain, floods.

New Huddle award: Best Amateur Meteorologist !!! :wacko:

This storm takes on historical proportions because of the number of people and states it will affect. The low from the gulf will supply it with a LOT of moisture. The more westerly the track, the less moisture it will get from the gulf, so that is the good news. It's still going to be very nasty. Lots of power outages and severe floods in places that don't flood very often. I'm concerned about my basement having a few feet of water in it now.

I have decided to try to clear the snow and ice away from the storm drains nearby my house. That might help a lot. Sure can't hurt.

updated forecast for Philly is a bit more optomistic. Still gonna get a ton of moisture, and it will start as snow and ice, but will change to all rain by mid-day Tuesday, then rain heavily into Wednesday as the storm brings warm air from the south (supposed to be 42 degrees here Wednesday). Then change back to snow on the back-end of the storm, but will be wet enough that it won't stick. Our biggest worry at this point is flooding, with all the new precipitation adding to all the existing snow that the rain will melt.

Weatherman said had it been all snow, we would have been forecasted for 2-3 FEET.

updated forecast for Philly is a bit more optomistic. Still gonna get a ton of moisture, and it will start as snow and ice, but will change to all rain by mid-day Tuesday, then rain heavily into Wednesday as the storm brings warm air from the south (supposed to be 42 degrees here Wednesday). Then change back to snow on the back-end of the storm, but will be wet enough that it won't stick. Our biggest worry at this point is flooding, with all the new precipitation adding to all the existing snow that the rain will melt.

Weatherman said had it been all snow, we would have been forecasted for 2-3 FEET.

Yes, I see the biggest threat to Philly/NYC now being flooding, and it could get very hairy. I am very disappointed that local governments have said (and done) nothing about getting storm drains cleared. I think parts of NJ and southern upstate NY are goind to experience severe flooding. There is anywhere from 1 to 3 feet of standing snow. 42 degrees and torrential rain could spell real disaster.

There is no way I can clear these storm drains with a shovel. I am going to sand bag the foundation and basement windows now, but I'm still pretty sure I'll get water in the basement anyway. I should probably just go buy a pump instead. I live near an intersection (one house away) that sometimes floods anyway. The houses on those 4 corners are gonna be forked. I'm a bit higher than they are, by a A couple of feet, anyway.

We really need to get a plow in here to clear the storm drains. I'll be talking to the neighbors about it sometime today. Maybe we can get something done. Little tiny rivers like the Ramapo could rise 40 feet in this mess. The Ramapo has done that before, and I think it will do it again, this week.

So you are saying that Detroit and Columbus are ok this week? :wacko:

I was in Chicago last week and while it was just cold, it did start snowing as I was boarding my plane Thursday. I remember thinking, I should pay a little more attention to where I might get stuck in the winter months! :tup:

So you are saying that Detroit and Columbus are ok this week? :wacko:

I was in Chicago last week and while it was just cold, it did start snowing as I was boarding my plane Thursday. I remember thinking, I should pay a little more attention to where I might get stuck in the winter months! :tup:

Absolutely not. Calling for snow the next three days and both cities mentioned above will get hit hard too.

Stop being a travel snob when you come to Chicago.

Absolutely not. Calling for snow the next three days and both cities mentioned above will get hit hard too.

Stop being a travel snob when you come to Chicago.

:wacko:

I'll be sure to post next time I'm in town!