[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Potentially Dangerous Ice Storms

Rovers

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You, my friend, are going to be a popular person! :wacko:

Oh, I'll try to get everybody I can tomorrow. But my boss wont send us out if the weather gets too bad. I guess somebody wrecked a truck a couple of years back and they had to shut down 50 Hwy for 3 days while they burned off the propane on the truck. So if you dont order and get your propane tomorrow you probably wont get it for a couple of days.

What I dont like is the aftermath. I have gotten stuck in peoples driveways 3 times last week. One time I got stuck this week I talked a farmer with a tractor into pulling me out. While I was hooking up my chain he backed right into the front of my truck. I was about a half second from being in a wheelchair. So the storm dont bother me that much, its the snow, cold and muck I will have to deal with in remote areas for the next week or two.

So the storm dont bother me that much, its the snow, cold and muck I will have to deal with in remote areas for the next week or two.

You won't have to worry about me. I'm staying in my own little remote area. :wacko:

BTW, forecasting 12-16 inches with more in the SE parts of KC ... we're south-central ... plus 1/2 inch of ice to start it all off ...

I don't understand why mainstream weather media is so slow with stuff like this. I first knew about it almost two days before I started this thread. I guess they don't like to forecast storms until they have a better handle on how it is going to track, but it was always clear that this would be a storm of historic proportions. I think it's a disservice. Of course some people won't prepare, but things like gas and oli deliveries could have been moved up for those who heed the warnings.

It was always obvious that there would be a wide swath of severe icing conditions stretching across the middle of the country. Top that off with local governments like mine who are doing nothing to clear the storm drains. The ice will freeze everything solid, then comes torrential rain. The water has no where to go except for basements. Property damage here is going to be very bad.

Oh well, could be worse... at least we aren't in Australia. Queensland is already under water, now they have a hugh cyclone bearing down on them. They are about to get another foot of rain.

I don't understand why mainstream weather media is so slow with stuff like this. I first knew about it almost two days before I started this thread. I guess they don't like to forecast storms until they have a better handle on how it is going to track, but it was always clear that this would be a storm of historic proportions. I think it's a disservice. Of course some people won't prepare, but things like gas and oli deliveries could have been moved up for those who heed the warnings.

It was always obvious that there would be a wide swath of severe icing conditions stretching across the middle of the country. Top that off with local governments like mine who are doing nothing to clear the storm drains. The ice will freeze everything solid, then comes torrential rain. The water has no where to go except for basements. Property damage here is going to be very bad.

Oh well, could be worse... at least we aren't in Australia. Queensland is already under water, now they have a hugh cyclone bearing down on them. They are about to get another foot of rain.

12-20 inches of snow in chicago.

Driving to teh Super Bowl on Thursday will be very very exciting. :wacko:

Just got me some new tires for the monster truck, Bridgestone Dueller AT REVO II 285/75/R16, put 75K miles on the last set. 500# of fresh cut pecan in the back for weight, BRING IT ON! :wacko:

But $1000 for 4 tires? :tup:

My Blizzaks were $1,100.

But they are worth every penny.

the computer models are saying that are supposed to get 12-20 inches here in west Michigan

I'll believe it when I see shovel it.

:wacko:

I'm driving to WMU in Kalamazoo on Tuesday afternoon...should be melted by then, right? :tup:

Just got me some new tires for the monster truck, Bridgestone Dueller AT REVO II 285/75/R16, put 75K miles on the last set. 500# of fresh cut pecan in the back for weight, BRING IT ON! :wacko:

But $1000 for 4 tires? :tup:

Did you have the guys cut and load it for you?

12-20 inches of snow in chicago.

Driving to teh Super Bowl on Thursday will be very very exciting. :wacko:

By Thursday you might be OK. The first thing they get cleared are the interstates. You will be driving through areas that have no power though, and I don't know what sort of impact that might have. Be sure to fuel up before you go through areas with no power. Maybe have a spare gas can if you have a place to keep one.

Mizzou is now getting some ice accumulation. I'm going to take a guess... 450,000 will lose power by the time this storm is done. Some could be out for a long time because usually when storms like this hit, repair crews are brought in from nearby states. That won't happen this time. They will have too much to do in their own states. Still not as bad as the Quebec ice storm of '98, but pretty close. It's now a two day event instead of one.

Be happy if all you get is snow, no matter how much.

:wacko:

I'm driving to WMU in Kalamazoo on Tuesday afternoon...should be melted by then, right? :tup:

Um.... no you are not.

Tires? LMAO... not going to help when (if) you are driving on an inch of ice. Even if you put chains on... monster truck, meet ditch, ditch, meet monster truck.

By Thursday you might be OK. The first thing they get cleared are the interstates. You will be driving through areas that have no power though, and I don't know what sort of impact that might have. Be sure to fuel up before you go through areas with no power. Maybe have a spare gas can if you have a place to keep one.

Mizzou is now getting some ice accumulation. I'm going to take a guess... 450,000 will lose power by the time this storm is done. Some could be out for a long time because usually when storms like this hit, repair crews are brought in from nearby states. That won't happen this time. They will have too much to do in their own states. Still not as bad as the Quebec ice storm of '98, but pretty close. It's now a two day event instead of one.

Be happy if all you get is snow, no matter how much.

I would just like to say it was nice knowing all of you and it was just a matter of time until this world came to an end.

I guess it's just me but I don't get all worked up about all this stuff.