[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Potentially Dangerous Ice Storms

Rovers

I would just like to say it was nice knowing all of you and it was just a matter of time until this world came to an end.

I guess it's just me but I don't get all worked up about all this stuff.

Posting from California perhaps?

There was a much smaller ice storm a couple of years ago mostly in Kentucky that resulted in almost 40 deaths. The death toll from this storm will be much, much higher. I guess if you don't lose power for a week or more, no biggie.

As for me, being an amatuer weather tracker, it's an historic storm. Blizzards, ice storms, floods... affecting more than half of the lower 48. I bought a sump pump today. Hopefully with the pump, I won't get more than a few inches of water in my basement, but all bets are off. It may pour in faster than I can pump it out. Then, there is no place to pump it to.... the sewers are blocked.

Insurance claims are going to be higher than what most hurricanes cause. Divest any stocks in the insurance biz today. Seriously.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would just like to say it was nice knowing all of you and it was just a matter of time until this world came to an end.

I guess it's just me but I don't get all worked up about all this stuff.

That is becasue we are from Canada . . I mean Wisconsin. Weather like this is referred to on the news as "balmy" . . .:wacko:

:wacko:

I'm driving to WMU in Kalamazoo on Tuesday afternoon...should be melted by then, right? :tup:

the storm isn't supposed to hit west Michigan until late Tuesday night--so if you are coming in from the north-east (say from Quebec) you will be ok.

If you are coming in from the south-west, you be done f'd

(Also, as for me, I still don't think we are going to get a foot of snow in Grand Rapids)

The Weather Channel just said that this storm with lake effect snow could dump 3 feet on Chicago with high winds and drifting to 8 feet. :tup:

Maybe a flooded basement won't be so bad after all. :wacko:

Oh, more good news... another smaller storm following this one. It's now going to be a 3 day event.

You got robbed.

Why don't you call and get a quote on the same tire and size I listed. Or feel free to check tirerack.com, go ahead sissy. Brock brock brock BRECOP!!!

These are 8 ply 80PSI with 3400# load capacity each. Oh, did I mention the last set were on the truck for 75,000 miles?

Come on smarty pants, show us you so smucking fart.

Posting from California perhaps?

There was a much smaller ice storm a couple of years ago mostly in Kentucky that resulted in almost 40 deaths. The death toll from this storm will be much, much higher. I guess if you don't lose power for a week or more, no biggie.

As for me, being an amatuer weather tracker, it's an historic storm. Blizzards, ice storms, floods... affecting more than half of the lower 48. I bought a sump pump today. Hopefully with the pump, I won't get more than a few inches of water in my basement, but all bets are off. It may pour in faster than I can pump it out. Then, there is no place to pump it to.... the sewers are blocked.

Insurance claims are going to be higher than what most hurricanes cause. Divest any stocks in the insurance biz today. Seriously.

Nope. Wisconsin

Don't get wrong I will prepare for this storm - I plan on getting up maybe 30 minutes early tomorrow and Wednesday so I can drive slower and still get to work on time. :wacko:

I am not saying you can't load up your cellar with canned goods and have sand bags surrounding your house - I am just thinking you are blowing it a bit out of proportion - I sure hope I am not wrong but I don't think I am going to go out and start moving my 401k money around if I find out I have a fund heavy in insurance.

Why don't you call and get a quote on the same tire and size I listed. Or feel free to check tirerack.com, go ahead sissy. Brock brock brock BRECOP!!!

These are 8 ply 80PSI with 3400# load capacity each. Oh, did I mention the last set were on the truck for 75,000 miles?

Got the same set a week ago for $750.00. ibtch.

Got the same set a week ago for $750.00. ibtch.

Only on the huddle can a snow thread turn into a tire tickle fight.

:wacko:

No kidding. Two feet of snow is better than an inch of ice. Several inches? Say goodbye to half the trees on your property

Most houses here still have the Bradford pears that were planted when this development was built, 11 years ago. Thankfully ours does not. But the whole neighborhood smells like bad cooch for about 2 weeks every March. I'll be interested to see if any of them split from the ice. They are trash.

Nope. Wisconsin

Don't get wrong I will prepare for this storm - I plan on getting up maybe 30 minutes early tomorrow and Wednesday so I can drive slower and still get to work on time. :wacko:

I am not saying you can't load up your cellar with canned goods and have sand bags surrounding your house - I am just thinking you are blowing it a bit out of proportion - I sure hope I am not wrong but I don't think I am going to go out and start moving my 401k money around if I find out I have a fund heavy in insurance.

Wisconsin gets off easy in this one. The snow, even a blizzard is no big deal. I would not be concerned at all if all I was going to get was snow, even two feet. Pain in the buttocks, but merely an inconvenience.

We have 3 feet of snow on the ground, and I think on Wednesday we'll get over an inch of rain, maybe two, possibly even more with temps near 40. All of the storm drains are blocked with ice. The plows put 6 foot piles of snow and ice on top of the drains. All that rain and snow melt has no where to go. I am only going to sandbag the basement windows, not the whole house. I am resigned to getting a few feet of water in the basement. I've put stuff up on blocks like the washer and dryer, but I don't know if that will be enough.

The people who will get the worst of it are the ones who WILL be without power for days, some for a week or longer in fridgid temps. The folks living on the snow/rain line who will get an inch of ice are the ones who are really up the creek. I loaded up on canned foods while I still thought NY would get the ice, not the rain. Looks like that was an unecessary precaution now. That was in case of losing power for an extended period.

So sure, stting in Wisconsin I would not be worried either. All you will get is some snow. Meh.

Editted to add: I have family in the insurance biz, actually in re-insurance, they insure the insurance companies against losses believe it or not. Yes, they suggest divesting insurance stocks because of this storm. Utility companies carry insurance for storms like this. Home owners too. The claims will go into the stratosphere with this thing. Now if 5% of your 401k is in the insurance biz, fine. But if you have 50k in insurance stocks... sell, if you still can. They have probably already dropped.

Edited by Rovers

Australian Insurance Stocks Drop as Queensland Floods Worsen

<a href="http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/g/a/2011/01/10/bloomberg1376-LETWL30YHQ0X01-51L5LH21K1JJGLO75GN3Ban Me ForeverJ5J.DTL" target="_blank">http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?...75GN3Ban Me ForeverJ5J.DTL</a>

You best believe that insurance stocks can drop after large scale events like this one, or this storm. Exteneded loss of power across a swath 100 miles wide and almost 2000 miles long will result in claims that run into billions. Supermarkets put in claims for food spoilage. Accidents. Burst pipes, flooded homes, power authority claims for repairs and loss of income, roof collapses, even freakin tree damage... the claims will make the hurricane claims look paltry in comparison except perhaps for Katrina, but this will surpass Katrina in claims no problem. Not even close.

From the Wall Street Journal after Katrina:

Insurance Payouts

Insurance and reinsurance stocks took a beating on expectations of huge payouts. Indeed, damage estimates range upward of $20 billion, though there are many questions that have yet to be answered because insurance companies haven't been able to send assessment teams to the area.

http://online.wsj.com/article/0,,SB1125781...7131103,00.html

Edited by Rovers

I just caught a satellite image of the midwest and NE.... You guys are SCREWED!!!! RUN, RUN LIKE HELL!!!!!!

I'm surprised Obama didn't tell you guys to evacuate, he must hate white people.