[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Potentially Dangerous Ice Storms

Rovers

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Snow is coming now. Predicting at least a foot today with 30-40mph wind gusts.

Got a 9:00 inspection, the winds are here and they say the windchill is between -20 ta-30 :wacko: i haven't had to use the fullface Carhartt yet but today looks like the day, plus the clients husband wants to follow every inch :evillaugh: i will go into polarbear mode :lol: i'll bring a hair dryer ta plug in outside to keep my camera workin :tup: pu$$y equiptment

Got a 9:00 inspection, the winds are here and they say the windchill is between -20 ta-30 :wacko: i haven't had to use the fullface Carhartt yet but today looks like the day, plus the clients husband wants to follow every inch :evillaugh: i will go into polarbear mode :lol: i'll bring a hair dryer ta plug in outside to keep my camera workin :tup: pu$$y equiptment

I don't get out of bed if it is under 19 degrees.

My aunt lives in Philly, I am sad to say we lost her last night. :wacko:

She turned on the weather channel, and saw a radar pic of the massive nationwide snow onslaught, she had an immediate bowel evacuation, followed by grade 2 cardiac arrest. She was deceased before the remote hit the floor.

My aunt lives in Philly, I am sad to say we lost her last night. :wacko:

She turned on the weather channel, and saw a radar pic of the massive nationwide snow onslaught, she had an immediate bowel evacuation, followed by grade 2 cardiac arrest. She was deceased before the remote hit the floor.

:tup:

For people like me this crazy weather we are having is a fantastic learning tool. I've been volunteering time with data collecting and I am somewhat floored at some of what I am discovering.

Most of the affected states went through their salt & sand reserves. It is anticipated that the states will need somewhere between 1.1 to 1.5 billion dollars to refill and/or pay off the additional salt & sand needed.

The roads in the affected states will see significant damaged from water freezing & re-freezing in cracks. It is anticipated that the states will shell out somewhere between 2.2 to 4 billion dollars to repair the damage.

The water mains are the biggest threat. It is anticipated that states will have to spend up to 4 billion dollars in primary water main pipe repairs and an additional 900 million to 1.2 billion in property repair (both private & public).

I don't get out of bed if it is under 19 degrees.

I'm under the bed with my iPhone, listening to bad 70's pop and weeping quietly to myself, just praying for the 1/16" sheet of ice to melt. My weather app says we're up to 31 degrees, so shouldn't be too much longer.

A Rovers Ice Storm Weather Tip:

Using a very large garbage bag, preferably 55 gallon, drape it over the top and aft side of the driver's side door on your vehicle. Try to prevent it from wrinkling, and close the door. Either have someone else inside (who obviously exits from the passenger side) or a little tape will do in preventing the bag from bunching up.

The bag will help to prevent any large ice buildup, and whatever ice does form will crack right off when you pull on the bag. It works. Then you can at least get inside and start running the defrosters. I've never tried this with a half inch of ice, but it has worked for about 1/4 inch before. The bag tends to blow around a little, which also prevents ice from forming very thickly.

Don't use any kind of weights on the roof to hold the bag in place, that's asking for a broken window. Close the door right on the bag.

A Rovers Ice Storm Weather Tip:

Using a very large garbage bag, preferably 55 gallon, drape it over the top and aft side of the driver's side door on your vehicle. Try to prevent it from wrinkling, and close the door. Either have someone else inside (who obviously exits from the passenger side) or a little tape will do in preventing the bag from bunching up.

The bag will help to prevent any large ice buildup, and whatever ice does form will crack right off when you pull on the bag. It works. Then you can at least get inside and start running the defrosters. I've never tried this with a half inch of ice, but it has worked for about 1/4 inch before. The bag tends to blow around a little, which also prevents ice from forming very thickly.

Don't use any kind of weights on the roof to hold the bag in place, that's asking for a broken window. Close the door right on the bag.

I always laugh when I see someone with trash bags on their car. Dumb.

For people like me this crazy weather we are having is a fantastic learning tool. I've been volunteering time with data collecting and I am somewhat floored at some of what I am discovering.

Most of the affected states went through their salt & sand reserves. It is anticipated that the states will need somewhere between 1.1 to 1.5 billion dollars to refill and/or pay off the additional salt & sand needed.

The roads in the affected states will see significant damaged from water freezing & re-freezing in cracks. It is anticipated that the states will shell out somewhere between 2.2 to 4 billion dollars to repair the damage.

The water mains are the biggest threat. It is anticipated that states will have to spend up to 4 billion dollars in primary water main pipe repairs and an additional 900 million to 1.2 billion in property repair (both private & public).

weather NAZI

TRY IRON WOOD......

Speaking of pecan any chance you can send me some? That shart turns into some cool looking bowls.

Meh, I was splitting red oak a couple weeks ago with a 3 pound felling axe, and got two truck bed loads, no need for a maul. And the logs are 36" in length... B!TCHES!!!!

Actually, after the second weekend of that I went to the Dr. because I thought I had a kidney stone... CT scan and 750 dollars later it turns out that I had strained the hell out of my lower back and abdomen on my left side. Time to start paying for fire wood again. At this point I'll gladly trade in my man card so long as I get to keep my AmEx....

Edited by SEC=UGA

Meh, I was splitting red oak a couple weeks ago with a 3 pound felling axe, and got two truck bed loads, no need for a maul. And the logs are 36" in length... B!TCHES!!!!

Actually, after the second weekend of that I went to the Dr. because I thought I had a kidney stone... CT scan and 750 dollars later it turns out that I had strained the hell out of my lower back and abdomen on my left side. Time to start paying for fire wood again. At this point I'll gladly trade in my man card so long as I get to keep my AmEx....

red oak is nothing......... we just let it freeze and it splits like 2 year old pine.

If you can't open your door, just poor some water on the seal, it will pop right open. Once the car is started, the ice comes off.

Wrapping trash bags over your windows? :wacko:

You would not want to try that on a half inch of ice, or you will need a garbage bag to drive to the glazier's shop. Stick with your axe.

Yeah, I know ice. I don't have roads that get plowed, or take out chinese.

Jan. 12-15, 2007: This storm caused catastrophic damage to the power systems in the eastern one-third Oklahoma, where ice accumulations were more than three inches in localized areas. Thirty-two deaths were linked to this storm: 19 perished in traffic accidents, eight succumbed to hypothermia, and three died due to accidental falls on the ice.

I was without power for 10 days. I know ice.

Next time you're wrapping a trash bag over your car, just know somewhere I am laughing at you.

Read more: http://newsok.com/oklahoma-ice-storms-2000...5#ixzz1CkCmnHHt