[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tartar Sauce? Really?

Rovers

I don't often cook as elaborately as some of you in this forum, as I mostly cook for myself. Quick, simple and easy is my preferred approach, but it also has to taste pretty good. I enjoy fish of all sorts from trout and flounder to swordfish and salmon. I usually keep tit simple, pan fried, broiled or breaded, but it always needs something more.

I make a simple tartar sauce that works for me. I dice up some kosher dill or half sour pickles, mayo, splash of vinegar and wasabi powder. Sometimes I'll add some garlic or diced hot peppers of whatever I might have, but the basic first 4 ingredients are really a tasty condiment for any simply cooked fish dish. Depending on how spicy you want it to be, add more wasabi. Even in small amounts, the wasabi gives it a somewhat unique and interesting flavor.

For a side dish, I like to make cheddar mac n cheese (not the Kraft stuff, home made) and throw in a lot of steamed veggies like brocolli florets, cauliflower, carrots or raw peas, and it makes for another quick, easy but tasty meal. I use Dreamfields pasta to cut down the carbs.

I look at all the trash in the tartar sauce the stores sell, and no wonder it tastes lousy and has a bad rep. Stuff is like slime. This version is pretty tasty.