[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Calling Timmypg, Jackshi ...

billay

Its looking to be a little more competitive this time around.

Yes it is.

Gotta say, I was pretty bummed about Drew II bailing because I thought he could redeem himself a la Quentin Thomas a few years back. Everything was shaping up the same. Highly touted, never lived up to hype, replaced by better freshman player, starts playing well in back-up role, ends up being adored by same fan base who despised him earlier. The last part is the only one that we'll never know.

Didn't catch the game yesterday but maybe we won't miss him after all. And if you can't handle the demotion, don't let the door hit you on the way out. He'd have to be deluded to think it wasn't deserved because he simply wasn't getting it done. If you want to start, that's fine, but why not leave at the end of the year? NCAA-wise, it's no better leaving now.

At any rate, the talk at the SB party yesterday was very optimistic about our chances on Wednesday. We're certainly playing our best ball and Duke sure seems very beatable. I'm calling it right now. UNC goes into Cameron and steals this one.

I was told at the beginning of the season that my ad package got me 5-6 sets of Duke tix to any games I wanted but the MSU and UNC game were not included, of course. It would be fun to be there.

I was disappointed that Larry left, but not because of his value on the floor. There is no question that Larry Drew is a back-up point guard at best. Roy gave him every opportunity, and frankly, protected him as long as he could. After the miserable performance at Georgia Tech, Roy could no longer afford to coddle Drew. Marshall is hands down, a better point guard. He gets the ball to the big men when they need it, and where they need it. He pushed the ball up the floor, has great court vision, and can shoot the ball. Larry was a decent on the ball defender, but that alone could not outweigh the team's offensive struggles when Larry was on the floor. Its no coincidence that the Tar Heels have looked so much better since Marshal began to start. Yesterday, with a full share of minutes, MArshall set an all time UNC record for assists against a conference opponent and for a freshman.

The team will have to make some adjustments. Strickland, who has not had to play the 1 all year, will now have to play 6-10 minutes of it every game. According to reports, Drew was never a "committed" member of the team. He never stuck around to play with his teammates over the summer. He almost quit on the team at the beginning of the year, and just walked out on them in mid-season. He didn't tell any of his teammates that he was leaving. He didn;t tell his roomate. He had his daddy tell the coach. Frankly, I think his dad gave Roy an ultimatum after the BC game (Larry had 9 assists) to reinsert Drew as the starter or Drew was gone. Roy wasn't hearing it.

A lot has come out about the bad blood in the locker room during last year's implosion. Apparently Ed Davis had a bad attitude, Larry was a baby, Will Graves couldn't put down the bong, and Deon Thompson wasn't enough of a leader to pull the team together. Well, now Ed is gone, Deon is gone, Will is kicked off the team, and Larry quit. I think the last cancer of the 2009-2010 Tar Heels has been purged.

Make no mistake, K will focus on Marshall without mercy. Playing in Durham is unlike playing anywhere else. He may struggle mightily. But despite Larry's departure, the Heels are playing their best ball right now. They have absolutely manhandles their last 2 opponents, and are as ready to go into Durham as I could have hoped. I don't think there is any pressure on UNC to win the game, however. Should be fun.

Nice win Dookies. It was certainly a tale of two halves. UNC played hard and looked confident in the first half, while Duke came out uncharacteristically soft. Total turn around in the second, and we had no answer for Curry or Smith. Smith has made himself into a first rate basketball player. UNC is still young, and its darn near impossible to win in Durham with a freshman PG and no seniors. The game in CH should be good as well.

Bill and I got into this on fb, and I understand that there are certainly some positives to be taken from the game for Carolina, but I hope they're not satisfied with last night. I hope they're kicking themselves for letting a game they should have won get away. Because I don't think the 1st half was a fluke and they shouldn't either.

I guess my point is this; it would be one thing if last night happened a few weeks ago before Carolina started playing as well as they have been. Then you could truly be excited about giving a good team all they can handle in their own gym. But Carolina was playing top 10 basketball of late, their ranking was (and should be) reflective not only of the quality of play they were showing but also of the lack thereof they had been showing. And if they're going to be the team that I think they've shown they're capable of being, they need to be pissed off right now. Not down on themselves, mind you, but honestly pissed off at themselves for letting that game get away.

None the less, props to Duke and mainly Smith. Dude is an assassin and, if he manages to take them deep in March, deserves to be remembered among the Duke greats.