[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The country is broke, state and local govts broke

Brentastic

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How much do those old-school books cost that you force your students to pay for and then hope to get 1/10th on trade-in value. Biggest scam in college is this bull. You guys should spend the summer typing them up in a Word doc available for download.

I actually don't require students to buy textbooks. I put my lecture notes online and have them read papers that they can download for free from the course webpage.

But thanks for your suggestion. :wacko:

I actually don't require students to buy textbooks. I put my lecture notes online and have them read papers that they can download for free from the course webpage.

But thanks for your suggestion. :wacko:

You're missing out on the kickbacks from the publishers, aren't you?

isn't that all they're really asking the public employees in wisconsin to do?

I will say this again .... Its not about the money its about collective bargaining... if i was into conspiracies I would think it funny that the place were collective bargaining started is were the GOP is trying to end it.

Here Holy Roller, here's a dollar. Now let's go into the back room for a little me-time.

Not sure he can find time while working those 7.5 hour days for 2/3 of the year. :wacko:

You're missing out on the kickbacks from the publishers, aren't you?

:wacko:

As for textbooks, I agree that it is a complete scam that they come out with a new edition every year to try to force students to buy new books. I will mention at my university, they have initiated a policy of trying to hold onto old editions as long as possible so that students don't have to buy a new book.

I'll also mention that when I have used textbooks, I have placed a copy on reserve in our library so that students can go there and read it for free.

That's the point of graduating the change. If you have 20 years to go, your pension is much smaller but your contributions also shrink to nothing as time goes by. Those right on the end of their time would not be affected. Everyone in between would be on the graduated scale. Those with more than 20 years to go might get nothing but perhaps could get their contributions back over time in the form of increased wages.

The mechanics of it can be discussed but the bottom line is that the system is not sustainable...........but you can't just pull the rug out from people who have paid in for their entire careers.

Please tell me what rug is getting pulled out of people.

It is somewhat graduated - A person who is 52 is only going to pay this 5.8% for a couple years and retire with full pension. If you are right on the end of their time like you say they are barely affected.

These people are being selfish - someone at the end of their time would rather save 5.8% of THEIR own money and have some 25 year old lose their job.

I will say this again .... Its not about the money its about collective bargaining... if i was into conspiracies I would think it funny that the place were collective bargaining started is were the GOP is trying to end it.

Isn't the bill written in such a manner as to where they can collectively bargain for everything but salary increases which are pegged to grow with the CPI?

And this:

The legislation also requires collective bargaining units to conduct annual votes to maintain certification, a costly procedure, and eliminates the right of unions to have dues deducted from worker paychecks.

Isn't the bill written in such a manner as to where they can collectively bargain for everything but salary increases which are pegged to grow with the CPI?And this:

The legislation also requires collective bargaining units to conduct annual votes to maintain certification, a costly procedure, and eliminates the right of unions to have dues deducted from worker paychecks.

Thought it was the opposite?? Thought they could bargain for wages but still had the rules you mention above??? I believe they would lose the right to bargain for other items not wage specific. I am not 100% sure though??

Thought it was the opposite?? Thought they could bargain for wages but still had the rules you mention above??? I believe they would lose the right to bargain for other items not wage specific. I am not 100% sure though??

Kinda why I phrased it in a question. If any one can shed some light on it, I would be appreciative. Or if someone can google it for me...

You are correct. They can negotiate wages, that are tied to the CPI. The would lose the rights to bargain for everything else. Length of school day, when school is in session, sick time, benefits, vacation, pretty much everything else.

and Azz, I have been trying to sift through dozens of search pages that only reference the current problem without getting the number details of teacher unions effected versus the ones that Walker conveniently left out.

Please note I am on record that ALL public unions should be addressed, and that Walker copped out by only going after the teacher union and kept the benefits for the unions that supported him.

When I first started with the G, we had a room with six computers to do all of our database queries and report writing. This was for an office of 75+ agents. Now EVERY friggen agent has their own computer at their desk, and they whine like little biotches if it isn't working and they need to go to someone else's desk for a while.

All I had was a pager for YEARS and got all my work done and talked to everyone I needed to in a day, no problem. Now everyone has friggen Blackberrys. We used to use our radios and communication center to find each other in a rush.

I could go on, but you get the point.

Oh, that and the department of education, the EPA, the FCC and a few other agencies in their ENTIRETY.

Give me the scalpel and I could cut the budget in half! :wacko:

Finally a Brentastic post I agree with. (Although I don't hate our country, it just disappoints me sometimes.)

Trust me, in 10 years you're going to think back to all our bickering and realize I was ahead of the curve and a genius. My timing may not be the greatest but I know what I'm talking about.

That dumb bitch had a sign that read "I would rather be teaching". then get back to work!!!

They should be mad at the Democrats and Unions that lied to them about living in an unsustainable business model of a world. Reality sucks where stuff has to be funded and paid for without simply incurring more debt, don't it hippies? Just another case of people wanting stuff for free and not being able to deal with the fact that the politicians and unions lied to them all these years for their vote. You'd think as teachers that they would've been smarter than to fall for it. I would've raised my hand long ago and asked how we pay for this stuff if we have an economic meltdown and revenues shrink. I would've demanded the paperwork on a plan for this possible outcome. I'm guessing they just thought Democrats would always win elections and we could live in fantasyland with billions of dollars of unfunded promises. They should've stood up years ago when it flipped from being fully funded to the disaster it is today. Again, just a bunch of people that never wants to deal with reality until it's too late.

When the Democrats regain control, I hope these teacher demand and rally for tax increases to fund these programs as hard as they do today. My guess is they won't, of course.

Edited by TimC

When I first started with the G, we had a room with six computers to do all of our database queries and report writing. This was for an office of 75+ agents. Now EVERY friggen agent has their own computer at their desk, and they whine like little biotches if it isn't working and they need to go to someone else's desk for a while.

All I had was a pager for YEARS and got all my work done and talked to everyone I needed to in a day, no problem. Now everyone has friggen Blackberrys. We used to use our radios and communication center to find each other in a rush.

I could go on, but you get the point.

Oh, that and the department of education, the EPA, the FCC and a few other agencies in their ENTIRETY.

Give me the scalpel and I could cut the budget in half! :wacko:

TSA, Homeland Security, IRS.

Here's my proposals to save tax dollars for public schools:

-no buses.

I disagree. I'd force all students to use the bus. This would get the school run moms off the road, reduce congestion and stop idiot school districts spending money on expanding parking lots for the little darlings to park their cars.

Please tell me what rug is getting pulled out of people.

It is somewhat graduated - A person who is 52 is only going to pay this 5.8% for a couple years and retire with full pension. If you are right on the end of their time like you say they are barely affected.

These people are being selfish - someone at the end of their time would rather save 5.8% of THEIR own money and have some 25 year old lose their job.

I was thinking about pensions being reduced rather than contributions increased. IMO, the system sucks and pensions should be eliminated over time.

In your last sentence, isn't that the same argument in principle that liberals use in favor of higher taxes?