[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Adam Wainwright

i_am_the_swammi

Flying back to STL today, but if true, a hugh loss for a team that, along with Carpenter, might have had one of the top-3 one-two punches in the National League.

Wishing him the best, but sounds like the worst.

Ouch :wacko: hate to see things like this happen...one of the best in the league no doubt...I wish him luck.

How does this affect Pujols signing ? With Wainwright out for at least 12-18 months and Carpenter being 38-39 when he returns what are the Cardinal's chance of contending in the next few years?

really depends on their ability to compete in the free agent market. While they may have some arms in the minors that could pan out, there is nothing that you'd feel comfortable saying "He's our #1 guy".

Being a small market team, that could be difficult. But surprisingly, their ticket prices are pretty modest, and they have a rabid fan base. I'm not sure they couldn't raise their prices a few bucks to generate some extra revenue to better compete. Stadium holds 45,000. $2 extra per ticket (which their fans would surely pay) x 81 home games = $7.3M extra. That turns a $6M/year pitcher (usually a solid #3) into a $13M year pitcher (bonafide #1).

But to answer your question, even if they figured out a way to bring in some solid pitching help, I'm not sure all those logisitcs would be in place before AP would have to ink his contract.