[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Duke vs. N. Carolina

electricrelish

Everything I've heard indicates that UNC will be next year's consensus pre-season #1 team... and that is even with the assumption that Barnes leaves. Both teams should be very good next year, but UNC not only loses less than Duke, they have a better class of recruits coming in, as well.

Duke will always be good, but its very difficult to replace 2 4-year all americans (not to mention Irving).

The word on the street is that Barnes is staying as well, announcement to come early next week.

That's been his story from the beginning and one that certainly seemed more and more the case with his somewhat slow start to the season. But top 5 is top 5 and that's hard to pass up. I hope you're right, though.

Duke's team should be interesting. Plenty of bodies at 4/5 (as the 3rd Plumlee joins this year to give them 4 guys at those positions), two guys who both could start for basically anyone at 2 (Curry and Dawkins) and the kid who wears #3 at the point. Nobody to play the 3 though. All the guards are way to small and all the bigs are way to oafish to play small forward.

Do any of the incoming guys play the 3?

Do any of the incoming guys play the 3?

They have Michael Gbinije coming in, from Richmond VA. I don't know much about him... I don't believe that he played in the McDonald's All-American game. He's 6'6" and just shy of 200 lbs... Of their four top-100 recruits, he's really the only one that fits the SF position perfectly. Austin Rivers (#1 overall) plays bigger than his dad, and is definitely more versatile... Listed as a SG, but handles well enough to play point if needed. Quinn Cook, out of the D.C. area, is a true PG, and will most likely start at that position next year. As you mentioned, the little Plumlee is the fourth.

I'm guessing they'll more than likely go with a 3-guard lineup, with the Plumlee's at the four and five spots. Cook, Rivers, and Curry, with Dawkins off the bench again, as the 6th man. Or, Dawkins starting, but then I'm not sure who they would sit. Rivers will start, for sure, but he's not a true PG (and neither are Curry or Dawkins).

Anyway, even though Duke has the #1 guy overall, I was just more impressed with the guys that UNC had playing in the McDonald's All-American game, overall. McAdoo (6'8") is another big strong kid that can play PF, and Hairston (6'4") was one of the better outside shooters in the game. Kentucky has a ridiculous class coming in, as well, but I like UNC's the best, out of the ACC schools.

Like you alluded to, Duke seems to load up at certain positions, and leave others (in this case, SF) unaddressed. Heck, in my opinion, that was one of their main problems THIS year... Nobody that could really play the 3-spot, and give Singler a breather from time to time. I firmly believe that one of the biggest reasons Duke lost most of the games that they lost this year, was because Coach K rode Smith and Singler into the ground. Played them both close to 40 minutes, consistently, and they simply didn't have any gas left in the tank, for the last few minutes. Not taking anything away from Arizona, or anybody else who beat Duke, but it was pretty obvious that fatigue played a factor.

Their 3-guard lineup (they used it this year, at times, with Singler at the 4) can be an advantage... But, only if they're shooting well. Otherwise, you're essentially asking a kid who is basically 6-feet tall (take your pick which one) to guard the opponent's small forward. On some teams, that isn't an issue (since there are a lot of teams out there that play three guards regularly). But, if that small forward is Harrison Barnes, or somebody with some size, it puts Duke at a disadvantage.

Riding his horses into the ground has always been K's biggest weakness. Or at least, that's what people point to the most. It's like the timeout thing with Williams.

Of course, let's be real, we're talking about two of the greatest coaches of our time here, so they may be on to something we're not. But those will be the "yeah but"s that will always be attached to these guys. K worrying too much about regular season and conference tourneys at the expense of wearing out his best players and Williams refusing to call a time out when his team is getting their ass handed to them during some stretch of the game.

• 2 weeks later...