[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Convince me to buy a big green egg

chester

Scenario:

Lake cottage. Probably 15 weekends a year. I grill out about 4-8 times a weekend. Friends/family 1/3 of that. Othersise only 2-4 of us. I'm a hugh Weber guy. Generally just keep the coals hot all day and get them going when I want to cook. Will never use gas and am very reluctant to use an egg. Have never smoked, but am willing to learn - and would still be a very small part of the use.

Talk me into it.

Or link to the other talks, I'm a lazy ba$tard.

BTW - can I leave it outside 24/7/365 snow and rain? (With a cover of course)

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had an Egg for only about 21 months, so not as long as some here. I had a Weber charcoal grill before that and learned to smoke on that. My wife was very, very reluctant to spend the money on an Egg. After about the first month, she came around. Now she loves it. It didn't find it much different from using the Weber, except that I'm able to control the cooking temperatures much more precisely, and I don't burn through nearly as much coal (nor am I having to replace coal as often).

You can easily keep the coals warm by closing the vents so only a little air flows through. There is a learning curve in figuring out how best to get the temperatures set the way you want, but it's part of the fun. I'd also be willing to bet that you will smoke more often once you see how little effort it takes. Every other week I throw a whole chicken on the Egg for 75-90 minutes -- to smoke it, I just throw on the fire a couple chunks of wood I've soaked for a couple hours. That's it.

I built a table for my Egg, and during the winter when it rains all the time, I just keep it covered with a tarp. In the summer I use it probably 4-5 times a week. In the winter, only about once or twice a week. Still, it's easily one of the best purchases I've ever made.

I don't burn through nearly as much coal (nor am I having to replace coal as often).

You can easily keep the coals warm by closing the vents so only a little air flows through. There is a learning curve in figuring out how best to get the temperatures set the way you want, but it's part of the fun

This is a big way to convince me, as we cook all our meals at the lake on the grill and keeping coals hot thoughout the day is a major plus.

Also, grilling is always more enjoyable/fun :wacko:

Not that I'm going to buy one, but if I was, what would be the best way to go about that bef/ore this grilling season. Best prices/shipping/etc. Not that I'm interested or anything.

I have had my BGE for about a year.

I use the BGE probably weekly during the summer. It can get really hot - 650 degrees or more. Using a plate offsetter to allow for indirect heat means you can also use the BGE for smoking or even baking and it can do pizzas.

My baby back ribs take about 2 hours and are the favorites of the family of anything I cook outdoors. I also often smoke pork shoulders for pulled pork. It is wildly popular when I do it and it is great for a big gathering since two 8-pound shoulders cook down to about 8 total pounds of meat and can feed a lot of people. My only problem is so many people want me to give them some of it.

BGE are much more expensive than a Weber. But they get a lot hotter and they are easier to control the temperature for hours at a time. Using chunk charcoal means less ash and great flavor. And you can use it in so many ways - baking, broiling, grilling, smoking, etc. I almost always fire it up when I have people over in the summer.

You've heard the Emerald song call to you and you ask me to convince you to sing? The Egg, among other things, embodies all that is honest and pure. Look into yourself--really look. Honestly look. You have one foot upon The Path and one foot remains in the monochromatic world of mundane grills and boring food.

You say openly and honestly that you never use gas. You wish the coals to be hot all day. You have never smoked meat. And you are a "weber guy." Why then do you ask about The Egg? This is the time for honesty. As a "weber guy," you know that something is missing. You know that in a very real and literal way, you hunger for more--more flavor, more ease, more love. The Egg has always been waiting for you but up until now, you did not seek it out because you were not ready. And now, well now you hear the song.

I once smoked a large pork butt for 26 hours continuously. Not once did I need to add charcoal to The Egg. Not once. Perhaps you would like to sear a steak? The Egg will rise to 800 degrees so that you may do so.

Before I heard the Emerald song, I had only ever owned a gas grill. I say this to you openly--and honestly. I had never smoked any meat. And I was empty inside.

I have a reputation for frugality. The "cost" of The Egg brought fear. How can this admittedly beautiful piece of ceramic cost so much? Could I find the true worth?

And honestly, my only true regret was that it took me so long to place my second foot upon The Path. What is the price of true happiness? What is it 'worth' to you? That is the question you must answer for yourself.

As for me, I regularly smoke all kinds of meat. I grill regularly. I have done pizzas, desserts, seafood, and vegetables on The Egg. I regularly roast the the Thanksgiving turkey on The Egg. I have maintained temperatures of 200-210 degrees for hours upon hours upon hours. My son won first prize for his 5th grade science project with The Egg when he burned various woods and predicted how fast the wood would burn based on wood density. The Egg is all this and more.

You must ask yourself why there is such a devoted and loving following of The Egg. Why do individuals who will not benefit in any financial way praise The Egg to others so strongly? Why do so many make the pilgrimage to Atlanta in October for Eggfest? And most importantly, you must ask yourself are you ready to take that next step onto The Path. Whatever decision you make, The Egg will be there--enveloped in Emerald smoky love--waiting for you.

why do these things have to be so expensive? my grill is wasting away b/c of the saltwater pool and am affraid the egg would erode there too. Scared to spend the money :wacko:

Your fears are baseless. The Egg will not erode. I never cover my Egg. It is humid in Florida. It rains much in Florida. My gas grills rusted out and died. The Egg does not. Maybe you are not afraid The Egg will erode--maybe, deep down, you are afraid it will not erode. Some things cannot be explained. Some things just are.

Your fears are baseless. The Egg will not erode. I never cover my Egg. It is humid in Florida. It rains much in Florida. My gas grills rusted out and died. The Egg does not. Maybe you are not afraid The Egg will erode--maybe, deep down, you are afraid it will not erode. Some things cannot be explained. Some things just are.

LoL.... the saltwater in the pool has eaten my metal furniture (albeit cheap furniture) and my grill parts. But the egg seems tough. I think the thing would look great in the backyard. And yes, maybe I am scared of the price a little.... :wacko:

Unemployment is at an all time high here in GA, buy a freaking egg so that one more Georgian won't be laid off. Thank you.

I would take it into the garage over your winters. NOTHING from GA can withstand those cold temps.

You've heard the Emerald song call to you and you ask me to convince you to sing? The Egg, among other things, embodies all that is honest and pure. Look into yourself--really look. Honestly look. You have one foot upon The Path and one foot remains in the monochromatic world of mundane grills and boring food.

You say openly and honestly that you never use gas. You wish the coals to be hot all day. You have never smoked meat. And you are a "weber guy." Why then do you ask about The Egg? This is the time for honesty. As a "weber guy," you know that something is missing. You know that in a very real and literal way, you hunger for more--more flavor, more ease, more love. The Egg has always been waiting for you but up until now, you did not seek it out because you were not ready. And now, well now you hear the song.

I once smoked a large pork butt for 26 hours continuously. Not once did I need to add charcoal to The Egg. Not once. Perhaps you would like to sear a steak? The Egg will rise to 800 degrees so that you may do so.

Before I heard the Emerald song, I had only ever owned a gas grill. I say this to you openly--and honestly. I had never smoked any meat. And I was empty inside.

I have a reputation for frugality. The "cost" of The Egg brought fear. How can this admittedly beautiful piece of ceramic cost so much? Could I find the true worth?

And honestly, my only true regret was that it took me so long to place my second foot upon The Path. What is the price of true happiness? What is it 'worth' to you? That is the question you must answer for yourself.

As for me, I regularly smoke all kinds of meat. I grill regularly. I have done pizzas, desserts, seafood, and vegetables on The Egg. I regularly roast the the Thanksgiving turkey on The Egg. I have maintained temperatures of 200-210 degrees for hours upon hours upon hours. My son won first prize for his 5th grade science project with The Egg when he burned various woods and predicted how fast the wood would burn based on wood density. The Egg is all this and more.

You must ask yourself why there is such a devoted and loving following of The Egg. Why do individuals who will not benefit in any financial way praise The Egg to others so strongly? Why do so many make the pilgrimage to Atlanta in October for Eggfest? And most importantly, you must ask yourself are you ready to take that next step onto The Path. Whatever decision you make, The Egg will be there--enveloped in Emerald smoky love--waiting for you.

I HAVE SEEN THE LIGHT!!!!! :wacko:

All these years, I had convinced myself that all I need is a Weber and a Barrel Smoker. I had convinced myself that "working the fire while drinking beer" was an essential part of the grilling and smoking experience. I thought that the kids playing in the ashes was "cute". I thought that serving delicious smoked foods in the tradition of Kansas City BBQ was good.

But I was wrong.

My eyes were open, but now I can see. I can see that my road to ultimate enlightenment leads me to The Egg. While on my journey to the store, I shall slide into my Birkenstocks, jump in the Volkswagen Jetta, and crank up some Dave Matthews. After pulling through the drive through at Starbucks, I shall go to the local Outdoor Living store and get on my knees and pay homage to this glorious Egg. I shall then arrange delivery and set up.

Thank you unta, for showing me the way.

I HAVE SEEN THE LIGHT!!!!! :wacko:

All these years, I had convinced myself that all I need is a Weber and a Barrel Smoker. I had convinced myself that "working the fire while drinking beer" was an essential part of the grilling and smoking experience. I thought that the kids playing in the ashes was "cute". I thought that serving delicious smoked foods in the tradition of Kansas City BBQ was good.

But I was wrong.

My eyes were open, but now I can see. I can see that my road to ultimate enlightenment leads me to The Egg. While on my journey to the store, I shall slide into my Birkenstocks, jump in the Volkswagen Jetta, and crank up some Dave Matthews. After pulling through the drive through at Starbucks, I shall go to the local Outdoor Living store and get on my knees and pay homage to this glorious Egg. I shall then arrange delivery and set up.

Thank you unta, for showing me the way.

I am unsure if you mock me or are in earnest. But know, whichever it is, The Egg waits for you...patiently...lovingly...and eternally.

Scenario:

Lake cottage. Probably 15 weekends a year. I grill out about 4-8 times a weekend. Friends/family 1/3 of that. Othersise only 2-4 of us. I'm a hugh Weber guy. Generally just keep the coals hot all day and get them going when I want to cook. Will never use gas and am very reluctant to use an egg. Have never smoked, but am willing to learn - and would still be a very small part of the use.

Talk me into it.

Or link to the other talks, I'm a lazy ba$tard.

BTW - can I leave it outside 24/7/365 snow and rain? (With a cover of course)

Alternative to the BGE

http://www.grilldome.com/eshop/product_inf...;products_id=49

Had one of those prior to the BGE, got up to 550 degrees and cracked.

ETA: Actually it was my dad's, I was having a party at his house while home form college my senior year. We were drunk cooking some backstrap on it. Drunk not paying attention to the temp gauge. went over to get the back strap off, lifted the lid and it just fell off backwards because the thing had cracked, it was at +/- 550 degrees. The poor little back straps were crispy little pieces of meat, we ate it anyway.

I had to replace it and bought him the BGE, that was 13 years ago.

Edited by SEC=UGA

good to know. I have a friend that has one (bought it after researching both) and he loves it. NO problems at all after 1 year of use. Either way the difference between a grill and these smokers in night and day.

This is one of the best threads I've ever started.

So where do I get the best deal on the d@mn thing?

I guess the best place to start would be here:

http://www.biggreenegg.com/contact.html

Visit local dealers and see what they are charging; perhaps play one against the other. It's a tough economy right now--put that to work for you.

http://www.biggreenegg.com/

scroll down and read the disclaimer on the right below the facebook Icon.

http://www.biggreenegg.com/locator/results_list.php?statename=Wisconsin&state=WI&statesearch=Go' rel="external nofollow">

or click here for local dealer

Swimrite Pools & Spas

5705 Highway 93

view map

Eau Claire WI US 54701

Edited by SEC=UGA

Seems like the hardest part is actually buying one. You pretty much have to go local because the damned things are so heavy and they're very protective about their dealerships. There was really not much of a "shop around" option for us because there were so few dealers. Mind you, my wife got mine for me as a gift, so she pretty much handled all of that.

I can't say enough about how amazing it is and, oddly enough, the fact that you use so little charcoal is among the most amazing things. When you're done, shut 'er down and the fire just goes out, right away, leaving you with enough coals to grill again. So, the cool thing about that is that you just don't need to worry about how much to put in. Just put plenty in there and know that, if you put too much in, you'll just have it for next time.

I've only begun to scratch the surface in terms of my Eggolution. It's not really grilling season and I've been working a lot of late, so we haven't done much on it.

But I can't wait for spring when I can really get going. I expect to grill 3-4 nights a week at that point.

Seems like the hardest part is actually buying one. You pretty much have to go local because the damned things are so heavy and they're very protective about their dealerships. There was really not much of a "shop around" option for us because there were so few dealers. Mind you, my wife got mine for me as a gift, so she pretty much handled all of that.

I can't say enough about how amazing it is and, oddly enough, the fact that you use so little charcoal is among the most amazing things. When you're done, shut 'er down and the fire just goes out, right away, leaving you with enough coals to grill again. So, the cool thing about that is that you just don't need to worry about how much to put in. Just put plenty in there and know that, if you put too much in, you'll just have it for next time.

I've only begun to scratch the surface in terms of my Eggolution. It's not really grilling season and I've been working a lot of late, so we haven't done much on it.

But I can't wait for spring when I can really get going. I expect to grill 3-4 nights a week at that point.

Um, I'm still waiting for my delivery order!?!? :wacko: