[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Convince me to buy a big green egg

chester

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Love it so far, but after getting to use it a bit (it's at our cottage, so it's retired till spring), I have 3 negatives.

1) top vent started rusting after 3 weeks.

Put it inside of the egg when you are done cooking while it is still hot and use the green ceramic cap to snuff out the coals.

2) Bottom vent is a pain in the rear. After a bit of soot got in the sliding area, they are difficult to adjust and they stick together.

I use a shop vac to keep mine clean. It seems when I scrape out the ash, I always make a mess on the patio so I vac the ash up and also give the egg a quick once over concentrating on the bottom door.

3) Really wish I'd have gotten an XL. Probably 40% of the time I used it, I could have used more space. If I'm just doing one item or cooking for 2-4 people, its fine. But when I'm doing corn on the cob, steak and baked potatoes for 10 people, I have to do them in stages and put them in the oven.

Have you looked into the grates that you can stack on top of each other?

That being said, I'll be building a table for it next year and have a list of about 6 or 7 egg accesories on my xmas list.

I have been reading here. It is the official egg forum and there are links to others. I have learned a ton.