[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Anybody watch the free UFC on Versus last night?

Gopher

Let's put it this way... Of the five fights that aired, two ended in impressive knockouts, one in a submission, and the other two (the only two that went to a decision) were extremely bloody and full of action. In fact, I would go as far as to say that the main event (Diego Sanchez vs. Martin Kampman) was not only one of the bloodiest fights that I've seen in quite some time, it was also one of the most entertaining. Just goes to show that you never know what you're going to get in these UFC events... Some of the most hyped PPV cards in the past few years have ended up being duds, in terms of entertainment value, while some of the free events have been just the opposite.

Too bad Kampman took the loss, though, in a very narrow decision... He basically picked Sanchez apart for the entire 15 minutes, out-striking him by better than 2-to-1 (I think I read something like 97-45), and stuffed 13 out of 14 Sanchez takedown attempts as well. It was a prime example of judges rewarding someone for pushing the pace and being the aggressor, even though the other guy was far more precise and effective. As Kampman said, when asked by Joe Rogan whether or not he thought he had won the fight... "Just look at Diego's face." I've seen worse cuts in the UFC, but I'm not so sure I've seen a more battered face, overall, than what Sanchez had last night. For anybody who saw Diego get beat up by Penn last year, his face was pretty messed up that night, mainly due to a cut to his forehead (thanks to a Penn high leg kick)... This was WAY worse. Big cut on his forehead, both eyes basically had swollen completely shut by the post-fight interviews, and significant blood coming from his nose and mouth as well. To say that he was unrecognizable is not in the least bit an exagguration. Unreal.

Kampman was somewhat busted up as well, but like I said, he landed far more punches, and even though Rogan tried to talk it up throughout the fight (making it seem like Diego had Kampman in danger), Kampman was never really in trouble. He picked Sanchez apart, like a boxer would pick apart a non-boxer, basically. The fact that Sanchez was unable to take him down just shows that much more how Kampman was in control throughout the fight's entirety. I won't say he got robbed, because I do think Diego deserves all of the props that he has gotten for his heart and effort, but it's just very unfortunate for Kampman that the judges saw the fight the way they did.

Pic of Diego's face during the fight

Video of Sanchez after the fight

Sanchez clearly deserved the win for savagely beating Kampman's fists with his face for three rounds.

I've lost a great deal of interest in the UFC, much of it due to ridiculous judging. I think that they need to revamp the scoring system and make all fights five rounds.

Sanchez clearly deserved the win for savagely beating Kampman's fists with his face for three rounds.

I've lost a great deal of interest in the UFC, much of it due to ridiculous judging. I think that they need to revamp the scoring system and make all fights five rounds.

I think you're a bit off on Sanchez clearly winning. I think it could have went either way, but I saw Sanchez winning. The UFC has nothing to do with the juding. Thats the gaming board of whatever state they're in... Be it Vegas, California, or wherever. Dana White, nor do the Fertita brothers have anything to do with that.

I'm on board with revamping the scoring system. I still think what Pride did had a lot of elements that need to be implemented. The most importantly being that a takedown then lay and pray shouldnt get you anything. Takedowns+attacking or improving positioning I'm all for.

But taking someone down, getting in there guard and staying there does not make you the winner.

And I'm 50/50 on 5 rounds for everyone. I dont think there are a lot of HW that can go 5 rounds, and 90% of the time, by the 4th or 5th round nearly every fighter is gassed anyways. If you have a three round war going on, then I could see them having "overtime" type rules. At that point the three round fight would turn into a 5 rounder.

Sgt Ryan... In a non aggressive way, I'd like to hear what your opinions on this is.

It was a great card. Much better than any PPV I've seen in a long time. If I was scoring the fight Kampman would have won. While it was somewhat close Kampman was the better fighter and picked Diego apart. It appeared that Sanchez won over the judges because he pressed the action despite getting his a$$ handed to him. I can understand the frustration in Kampman's camp. Terrible decision. IMO, Diego looked very average throughout that fight. He looked heavy coming in, and bloody going out.