[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Chicken and Chicken Andouille Gumbo

Kid Cid

Ms Cid and I made this yesterday as part of our own little personal Mardi Gras celebration. I've had plenty of gumbos before but I had no idea this one was going to come out as good as it did.

http://www.corrundum.net/post/Chicken-and-...ille-Gumbo.aspx

Chicken Andouille is completely cooked before it get sold. All you need to do is to reheat it. Regular andouille is not. If using regular andouille, simmer for 45 minutes to make sure the sausage if completely cooked.

Not sure about that...Andouille is a heavily smoked sausage that rarely needs much additional cooking. I get mine from Jacobs and wouldn't even think about doing anything to it before throwing it into gumbo.

ETA: I wouldn't think about doing anything to it, unless I wanted to get some of the flavor from the fat to use in the roux, which I guess I usually do.

Edited by Seattle LawDawg

Not sure about that...Andouille is a heavily smoked sausage that rarely needs much additional cooking. I get mine from Jacobs and wouldn't even think about doing anything to it before throwing it into gumbo.

ETA: I wouldn't think about doing anything to it, unless I wanted to get some of the flavor from the fat to use in the roux, which I guess I usually do.

Interesting. If you notice, I don't actually do anything to the andouille before throwing it in. I simmer the chicken version to heat it through and I do suppose to extract some of the spice and flavor from it into the stock that has been combined with the roux. However, there isn't a lot of fat in the chicken version. There is plenty of fat in the regular version and as such, it would take longer to render more of that into the stock. So I stand by my assertion of additional time for the regular version of andouille even if I did screw up the reasoning behind it.

Grandma's chicken, sausage & oyster gumbo is still the best I've ever had.

That may be but all this post tells us is that your grandma is a good cook. Did she ever teach anyone else in the family to make it? Could you share that recipe with us?

if you're not going to use okra (sinner), a lot of people will at least use gumbo file to get that true gumbo consistency. it adds kind of a cool, very unique and authentic flavor as well. you don't want it to boil though, better to sprinkle it on the rice before you add the gumbo.

not sure I love the idea of frying chicken to put in gumbo. for me, short cut method is to use some boneless chicken, season with tony chacere's or something, grill quickly to sear and then cut up (and use canned chicken broth). a good non-shortcut method if you don't have stock already made is to make stock with a whole chicken, tear the meat off the bones to use in the gumbo, and use the stock.

Edited by Azazello1313

That may be but all this post tells us is that your grandma is a good cook. Did she ever teach anyone else in the family to make it? Could you share that recipe with us?

I was only bragging. :wacko:

Sorry but gumbo without okra is soup. That's what makes it gumbo.

Trinity

Edited by rajncajn