[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Video Games; What are you playing lately?

Tford

Been working through a few games I've picked up since late last year as well as a couple old favorites from the Playstation store. Some of the games are obviously kid games, some aren't. Here's a quick rundown.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow (PS3 / Action-Adventure) - Single Player not for kids; Major Gore and Violence

Graphics: 5 out of 5

Controls: 4 out of 5

Story: 4.5 out of 5

Replay value: 1.5 out of 5

This is a beautifully designed game. From harsh winter storms to lush green forest, this game takes full advantage of a high definition TV. The last Castlevania game I had played previous to this was Symphony of the Night, another great game that you can pick up on the Playstation Store, so I had high hopes for this one. New to the Castlevania series is the God of War-like "normal sized guy versus amazingly large statue/monster/god". It's a fun boss battle but the climbing controls are clunky. Also new is the timing sequences to finish off bosses. It adds an interesting dynamic to an already interesting combat system. The combat setup is very fluid and easy to learn but hard to master. Unfortunately, after an amazing ending sequence with a great twist, there isn't much to do other than 110% complete the levels you've already beaten.

DC Universe Online (PS3 / MMORPG) - Kid Friendly but online, some violence (I probably wouldn't play the villain side with my kids)

Graphics: 3.5 out of 5

Controls: 3 out of 5

Story: 4.5 out of 5

Replay Value: 2 out of 5

Past the initial feeling you get from creating your own hero/villain and meeting all of the characters in the DC Comics Universe, I didn't really like this game. It's a monthly subscription MMORPG so the social aspect of the game is supposed to be very important yet everything in the game except for the very end doesn't need a group to accomplish. The social aspects of the game are very clunky for the PS3 but I'd imagine it would be better for PC. Finally, the game is too easy to get to the max level of 30 and is frighteningly boring after you get there. Worst part? You can't resell the game after you install it :wacko:

Donkey Kong Country (Wii / Platform) - Very Kid friendly, minor cartoon violence

Graphics: 3 out of 5

Story: 3 out of 5

Replay Value: 3 out of 5

Family Value: 4 out of 5

Great game for playing with kids. There is a two player option in the game where both monkeys can play at once but Diddy Kong can hang onto Donkey Kong's back when things get difficult. Diddy can still shoot enemies from Donkey's back but doesn't need to complete the jumping sequences. The game plays identically to the SNES versions of Donkey Kong Country with some creative twists on levels. Right along with the New Super Mario Brothers for the Wii, this game is perfect for a video game you can play comfortably with your kids.

Arc Rise Fantasia (Wii / JRPG) - Fairly Kid friendly but single player RPG, cartoon sword violence

Graphics: 2.5 out of 5

Controls: 3.5 out of 5

Story: 5 out of 5

Replay Value: 3.5 out of 5

In the veins of Tales of Symphonia, Arc Rise Fantasia is one of the few RPGs that Nintendo will actually let get to the Wii instead of sending the watered down versions of the games to the DS. The gameplay is not amazing and the graphics are not strong even for Wii. That said, if you like a linear JRPG with a decent story, this is a good game for you. I'm not done this one completely but I know that there is a New Game+ option which is fun for replay value.

Two Worlds 2 (PS3 / WRPG) - Single Player Not Kid friendly, Major Gore and violence, adult themes

Graphics: 4.5 out of 5

Story: 3.5 out of 5

Replay value: Not completed

This game is one I just started this weekend but I am hooked. It plays like a typical sandbox style WRPG with action elements in the fighting system. The game features many minigame-like trials for things like lockpicking and stealing so your actual timing and concentration affects your in-game skills. The story is about as non-linear as it gets, filled with a multitude of sidequests and bonuses. And like many WRPGs, your decisions in-game affect the future. Unfortunately, also like many WRPGs, the main goal is not clear and thus you find yourself not sure what to do frequently. I'm only 10 hours into this game but I'm really enjoying it.

Lego: Batman (Wii / Platform-Fighting-Puzzle) - Kid Friendly

Graphics: 2 out of 5

Story: 2 out of 5

Replay Value: 1 out of 5

Family Value: 4.5 out of 5

My twin boys are big into superheros like Spiderman, Batman, The Flash, Superman etc. so finding decent games that they can actually play are tough when most superhero games right now are too realistic and complicated for them to play. For a game that is aimed at kids, Lego Batman is surprisingly fun for me. I usually play as Robin while one of my boys plays as Batman. The "fighting" happens between Lego Batman or Lego Robin and the Lego Henchmen. No real violence here which is a big plus for family time. There is interesting dynamics with the Lego where you can build hovercraft and other next machines with spare Lego you find lying around. Big thumbs up from me for this game.

Super Hero Squad (Wii / Beat 'em up) - Kid-friendly, cartoon violence

Graphics: 3.5 out of 5

Controls: 3.5 out of 5

Story: 3 out of 5

Replay Value: 2 out of 5

Family Value: 3 out of 5

Point blank, this game isn't the greatest but I like the multiplayer because the kids can fight each other using Wolverine, Iron Man, Silver Surfer and The Hulk. The camera is clunky and the story mode consists of crushing an endless amount of goons for about 10 minutes before any real progress is made.

Alundra (PS1 / Action RPG) - Single Player not kid friendly, cartoon sword violence, adult themes

Graphics: 1.5 out of 5

Replay value: 1 out of 5

Loved this game for the Playstation 1 but never did finish it so I grabbed it from the Playstation Store. Fair warning here. This game is more puzzle solving and jumping sequences than Action RPG. This game can be incredibly frustrating when a puzzle kicks your ass but can be incredibly rewarding when you finally do solve the puzzle. A good buy for $5.

Other games I have but haven't played yet:

Borderlands DLC: General Zod

Disgaea 3

Front Mission 3 (Playstation 1)

Xenogears (Playstation 1)

Vagrant Story (Playstation 1)

Fallout: New Vegas

Dragon Age 2 (tomorrow; really looking forward to this one)

Still on Call of Duty - Black Ops.

I put it down for awhile, but then my students wanted me to start playing it with them.

I use it as a tool to encourage better work in the classroom - I'll only play with them if they have higher than a B in my class (I never use the headset when I play with them - too easy to get too friendly or slip out an Eff bomb after getting shot), and if they have anything less than a B and I see them on Xbox Live, I hold them in at lunch the next day and show them all of the classwork they could have been making up instead of playing video games the night before. Needless to say, I've lost a few Xbox Live friends :wacko:

I will say this, the game has gotten a lot more interesting for me. If you don't hold your own with these kids, for one game, they will never let you forget it.

I've been playing my way through Assassins Creed Brotherhood. The best game of the three AC games released so far. Beautiful graphics and the controls are less clunky than they have been in previous games. Lots of side quests and things available to do (bit of a timesink). So far the story is pretty good. The game isn't super challenging but I've enjoyed it so far. I'll probably finish up some side quests and then get back onto the main story. I need to run through this game so I can get started on Fallout New Vegas (another timesink). I have a few in my backlog though so we'll see what comes up. I'm probably 90% through COD black ops singe player and haven't tried the multi yet. I moved the PS3 up to the master bedroom and most of the time I'm playing when the wife is a sleep (baby still only sleep 2 hours at a time) so I can't really lay suppressive fire quietly. :wacko:

By far my favorite genre is car racing. I've been hooked on Need for Speed Hot Pursuit (PS3) for a couple months. The game really makes you feel like you're driving like a bat out of hell, and the crashes are awesome. Also the weaponry and police support (roadblock/helicopter) are cool features. I enjoy being the cop, but eventually I'll switch to racer and see if I can clear all the levels. There are some tracks that are so much fun I play them over and over even though I already earned Distinction.

By far my favorite genre is car racing. I've been hooked on Need for Speed Hot Pursuit (PS3) for a couple months. The game really makes you feel like you're driving like a bat out of hell, and the crashes are awesome. Also the weaponry and police support (roadblock/helicopter) are cool features. I enjoy being the cop, but eventually I'll switch to racer and see if I can clear all the levels. There are some tracks that are so much fun I play them over and over even though I already earned Distinction.

That Hot Pursuit series never gets old. I recall playing those back in the late 90s even, though not so much recently as I'm just addicted to RPGs... Nothing like trying to outrun the cops or run them off the road. :wacko:

My bro got me Red Dead Redemption Zombie night-something. I guess it's the stand alone version of some DLC for Red Dead. I just don't think I have enough time to go through all these sandbox games and still get back to shooting my buddies in COD.

I still play Left 4 Dead and Left 4 Dead 2 (PC) fairly often, especially when a couple of my friends stop by. I'd add Killing Floor, Borderlands and Magicka (PC) to those two but I haven't played any of them in a couple weeks. I just finished Golden Sun: Dark Dawn (DS) a couple days ago. Great game just like the previous two, though a bit easier than its predecessors I thought. I'm in the middle of replaying Final Fantasy 7 (PC) again, just playing a bit here and there. Also playing Elder Scrolls Oblivion (PC) off and on.

I have a few games I've obtained fairly recently but haven't even touched yet:

Metroid: Other M (Wii)

Final Fantasy: 4 Heroes of Light (DS)

Dead Space (PC)

Torchlight (PC)

Dragon Age: Origins (PC)

Alundra (PS1 / Action RPG) - Single Player not kid friendly, cartoon sword violence, adult themes

Graphics: 1.5 out of 5

Replay value: 1 out of 5

Loved this game for the Playstation 1 but never did finish it so I grabbed it from the Playstation Store. Fair warning here. This game is more puzzle solving and jumping sequences than Action RPG. This game can be incredibly frustrating when a puzzle kicks your ass but can be incredibly rewarding when you finally do solve the puzzle. A good buy for $5.

Man, I remember that game. I didn't finish it either. Must have been about 12 years ago.

Gadzooks, 12 years old or so now? Passed many hours with that and Tomb Raider 1 on the PS1 back in the day.

Almost 14 years. I actually remember when FFVII came out, back when I had the time to care. I had it for a week when my dog chewed through my controller cord and I had to send my PS1 to Sony to get it fixed. Took three weeks. I was so pissed.

I used to play a ton of games but now play maybe two or three per year. I've got a pile I keep meaning to get to, but they seem like such time sucks that I can't ever get started. I have a new appreciation for shooters that take 8-10 hours to finish. I can get my fix without having to commit to the game for a month or more.

I used to play a ton of games but now play maybe two or three per year. I've got a pile I keep meaning to get to, but they seem like such time sucks that I can't ever get started. I have a new appreciation for shooters that take 8-10 hours to finish. I can get my fix without having to commit to the game for a month or more.

FPS became my favorite for this reason. I play COD Black Ops online because you can literally play for 15min and stop..it's not like you have a story to follow, a save point to get to..quick and fun

I've been playing my way through Assassins Creed Brotherhood. The best game of the three AC games released so far. Beautiful graphics and the controls are less clunky than they have been in previous games. Lots of side quests and things available to do (bit of a timesink). So far the story is pretty good. The game isn't super challenging but I've enjoyed it so far. I'll probably finish up some side quests and then get back onto the main story.

I forgot that I have that one.

The combat system greatly diminished the first two games in the series. Once you get the timing down on the counter-attack, you can defeat swarms of attackers, which isn't challenging and isn't exactly an "assassin-like" ability. Have they fixed that?

Battlefield 2 (PS3) - I hate shooters, but this is just simply a great game.

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (PS3) - This is my favorite game to come out this generation.

Gears of War 2 (XBOX 360) - I only play this once in awhile now because of a few others that I know who play...otherwise, I would never play this.

I haven't been playing games much at all and when I do it's not for more than 2 hours max....

The combat system greatly diminished the first two games in the series. Once you get the timing down on the counter-attack, you can defeat swarms of attackers, which isn't challenging and isn't exactly an "assassin-like" ability. Have they fixed that?

It's much harder to take on groups, I even know people who refuse to go against swarms in Brotherhood....the best game of the series so far.

Yea, you can't just counter attack everyone. The kick is a bit over powered, but the fighting is better. The crossbows will get you too a lot and make it harder to just run from a scene. Everything is basically better than the previous games. That being said, the "call in extra assasins" function is like god mode if you haven't sent them off on contracts. So I don't use them much to make sure it's not too easy. Even after that, I don't die much. Not saying I'm good the game just doesn't have too many spots that you can't figure out or fight/flee your way out of. Still, the game is better than the first two. So if you liked them enough to finish the first two, the third is the most solid. I've actually heard the online mulitplayer is great but I haven't tried it yet. If you can find it for a decent price I think it's worth it.

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (PS3) - This is my favorite game to come out this generation.

I've really enjoyed the Uncharted games, but if they come out with another one and I still have to shoot someone 14 times with an AK at close range to kill them, I might give up on the series. I realize it doesn't have to play like counter strike but I just can't stand to shoot people 20 times each for them to go down.

Bit of a dead time right now. The NBA2k series is still my favorite, but the 2011 version may be the most difficult game to get good at that I have ever played. Married life has made it pretty much impossible. I'm still playing Mario Kart on the Wii, training for my new nephews who kicked my butt the first time.

Having played the COD series since #2, while the rest of my friends were all playing HALO, I'm officially burnt out. I only lasted about a week with the new game before I got bored. Traded it in shortly after.

Really excited for the new Tiger Woods game. FINALLY we get to play at Augusta!! Also excited for the new MX-ATV game due out in May, I believe.

Picking up the collector's edition Tiger Woods for the 5 extra courses. Cheap money grab DLC but 5 more courses is worth it I suppose.

I don't really like the way most games have DLC 2 days after it was released. Seems many games are going that way nowadays.