[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Video Games; What are you playing lately?

Tford

the Wench and I just fought our first dragon a couple days ago (at level 47)

is there any way to reset your skill point allotment. I'd love to be able to use the points I invested in destruction elsewhere.

:wacko: I think I tackled my first at about level 5. Of course it was with a lot of help. Still, even at level 17 it seems like they show up every time I turn around. How did you get so far into the game and not fight any dragons?

I haven't looked, but you can probably change your allotment thru console cheat commands. Not sure how it will affect the game though.

I buried Fallout 3 last week. Took forever to get through that game. Not because I didn't like it either, it was great but I always found myself distracted with other games. Even when I first got it, Borderlands stole my attention that same week. Another Bethesda sandbox masterpiece but the ending was a little weak for such a huge buildup.

I also reinstalled DC Universe online at the behest of my boys. The good news is that the game went Free to Play so no monthly subscription fee if you are ok with limited capabilities for money and storage etc. The free servers seem to be ok handling the volume of players with minimal disconnects. They also have some new content out that seems interesting. I may be wrong on this but I think you can download the entire game for free right now for both PC and PS3. It's worth a look if you enjoy action rpgs and comic books.

I decided to cancel my FFXIV online account until the 2.0 launch happens. The game is too dry to keep my interest solo and there aren't enough players in my level area to group with so I am taking a firm wait and see approach with this game.

Still dropping a ton of time into SWTOR. The story is unlike any I've ever seen in an MMORPG. Really well done by Bioware here.

In queue:

Skyrim (haven't fired it up, honestly I'm a bit scared given how many proclaim its addictiveness)

Zelda: Skyward Sword

Fallout: New Vegas

RAGE

Finish 3D dot game heroes

Finish Arc Rise Fantasia

Skyrim (haven't fired it up, honestly I'm a bit scared given how many proclaim its addictiveness)

I started this one and had to go out and buy the player's guide from Game stop. It's like 3 inches thick! And where I got bored with Elder Scrolls Oblivion and Fall Out 3, I'm pretty hooked on Skyrim so far.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Post 4th of July bump for the vidiots. What are you guys playing? What games are you getting excited for?

I ended up picking up a PS Vita for Father's day. My company bought me a gift certificate to Future Shop as thanks for responding a wildfire situation we had near one of our fields. Made sense to pick up a handheld for little out-of-pocket cost. That said, the game selection is pretty weak but the remote play option to play PS1 classics out of your PS3 and any downloadable PSP game makes it a little more palatable.

I decided to not reinstall FFXIV despite the updates. I'm not 100% convinced that the game is salvageable even after watching some of the youtube videos. I also have a growing pile of kid-friendly games that are piling up. Sonic Generations, Sonic CD, Sonic Adventure, the new Kirby game (not the crappy yarn game either) etc. Tough to invest a ton of time into those games but they are good for a quick pickup-and-play during the day when I have a spare moment.

I decided to hang it up in Star Wars: The Old Republic. It just wasn't fun for me anymore. End game PVE is too easy, PVP is boring. The WoW formula works but I'm not sure that the Star Wars universe was the best place to apply it.

In the last couple months, my gaming resume reads as follows.

Got 2 characters in Star Wars: The Old Republic to lvl 60.

Finished Mass Effect 3

Put about 30 hours into Fallout:New Vegas

Got to Act 2 Inferno in Diablo 3.

Got to lvl 5 on the Phantasy Star Online 2 Japanese Open beta

Started Xenoblade Chronicles

Put about 20 hours into Zelda: Skyward Sword

Downloaded Final Fantasy Tactics: Lion War onto my PS Vita and got about 10 hours into that.

For those who enjoyed Phantasy Star Online for Dreamcast/Gamecube, there is a Japanese Open Beta of PSO2 available free for download. I am playing it currently and it is incredible. If you want some instructions on how to download the game and get through the menu without knowing Japanese, let me know. My kanji is sketchy at best but there are good guides available.

Mass Effect 3 was good but I did think that the ending was a bit thrown together. The gameplay is stellar and save for the ending, it is every bit the dominant game story-wise that Mass Effect 2 was. Multiplayer is fun but can be buggy. It has a HALO type feel to it.

Diablo 3 is fun; it recaptures the dungeon crawler spirit of the old games. The auction house seems to remove a lot of the grinding aspect of it which can be good or bad depending on your outlook. The final difficult is tough as nails. I'm stuck right now and can't proceed without a party. Big downside for the game is that you need an internet connection to play even if you only plan on playing single player.

Xenoblade Chronicles might be the best JRPG I've played in 10 years. And for the Wii no less! Those who enjoy a good JRPG with a quality story and decent gameplay should pick this one up. It's for Wii only unfortunately but the graphics really don't suffer that much. It still looks pretty good and it plays like the old Grandia games. Made by the same guys that made Xenogears/Xenosaga, I have really high hopes for this one once I get into it deeper.

Games/DLC I'm getting geared up for:

Dragon Quest Online (Wii/Wii U)

Harley Quinn DLC for Batman: Arkham City

Mass Effect 3 extended ending DLC (This is free!)

Borderlands 2

Two Worlds 3

Grand Theft Auto 5

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas 2

On the queue for me:

Finish Skyrim

Finish Skyward Sword

Finish Fallout: New Vegas

Finish Xenoblade Chronicles

RAGE

Front Mission Evolved

Finish Arc Rise Fantasia

I decided to hang it up in Star Wars: The Old Republic. It just wasn't fun for me anymore. End game PVE is too easy, PVP is boring. The WoW formula works but I'm not sure that the Star Wars universe was the best place to apply it.

I also quit SWTOR. It felt too much like a single player game to me. I grouped all of one time in the 5 months I played it. Too easy and not enough freedom to go your own way. They would be better of keeping the franchise strictly single player and stay away from the mmorpg genre. I am back playing LOTRO and running through my epic quest line in Mirkwood and Dol Goldur. :nerd:

Mass Effect 3 was good but I did think that the ending was a bit thrown together. The gameplay is stellar and save for the ending, it is every bit the dominant game story-wise that Mass Effect 2 was. Multiplayer is fun but can be buggy. It has a HALO type feel to it.

I also Just finished Mass Effect 3. Really enjoyed it, and from the talk about the ending, I was expecting a lot worse when I got there.

Edit: I just went back

and tried for a different ending, only to realize that, even though I made a different choice, it was exactly the same. Now I get it.

:lol:

Edited by montster

• 3 weeks later...

So is Skyrim one of those games where if I play for only 60-90 minutes a night for 3-4 nights a week, it'll take me a couple months to finish? Not that that's a bad thing -- I just want to know if it's one of those games that take a really long time to complete because even the side quests are interesting.

I've been playing for a couple weeks. When I turn the game off at night, I realize I've had to take a piss for like two hours.

The Ritual Stone power that resurrects dead bodies to fight for you works awesome on dungeon bosses.

I just started playing Rift about a week ago. Got a free license from Gamestop powerup rewards which came with 30 days of play time. I am an old WOW vet, was raiding up till WotLK before I quit playing MMOs for a couple years. If you are looking for a WOW type game with more customization of characters, classes, skills, etc. I highly recommend it. Leveling is a bit faster than what I remember from WOW. Best part of the game are the random outdoor rifts that are going on constantly. They take several players to close the rift as you are fighting waves of mobs. There seems to be a pretty healthy community willing to run things all the time. I am enjoying it quite a bit.

I'm anxiously awaiting Borderlands 2 but the next game I'm getting is New Super Marios Bros 2; which I'll have to beat within a week so I can post a review to me site. Thankfully, I'm only doing the second opinions on Borderlands 2 so I can spend a bit more time with it.

• 1 month later...

Couple new games I've been playing lately are good enough that I justified a bump.

Borderlands 2 (Shooter/RPG; Singleplayer and online co-op)

Get this game. It improves on everything that Borderlands did well and carved out a lot of the BS. I sunk about 3.5 hours into this last night and I am very impressed.

The cel shaded appearance looks even better than its predecessor and the level progression allows for much more customization than previously. The comic nature of the game still shines through and will put a smile on your face more than once with its oddly placed humor.

I also found that the story of Borderlands 1 was picked up nicely but Borderlands 2 and allowed the player to quickly disengage from the old story into the new one.

PM me if you are playing PS3, I will play some co-op with you.

Also playing:

Tactics Ogre: Let us Cling together (PSP)

Fallout: New Vegas

Xenoblade Chronicles

Sonic CD

Sonic Generations

General Notes:

I dropped Diablo 3. It has become too much of a grind for my liking. I am very close to beating Diablo on the final difficulty but preparation to do so was becoming a full-time job. Not interested.

Phantasy Star Online 2 will completely ruin my life when it comes out in North America. I love this game and I have taken up a bit of Japanese reading in an effort to be able to read the text in the beta I have been playing.

I have successfully managed to avoid all sports video games for the first time in a long time. I used to buy one out of every three games for each major sport except basketball but this year I just can't get into it. I almost got suckered into golf.

Xenoblade Chronicles has become a bit of drag after a strong opening. I am not nearly as into it as I was a month ago. The story has slowed down and the fights has become too long and drawn out. I'm convinced that the end is near but I'm likely to leave this one on hold with Borderlands being as good as I had hoped.

I preordered two Nintendo Wii-Us. One to own and one to re-sell. The timing for the system release is in November so I am banking on a strong Christmas crowd and Nintendo's historically weak shipment numbers to meet demand to add a little holiday cash to my wallet. The launch lineup looks weak but could be bolstered by a new Mario game. I think the Wii-U could be a new standard if utilized properly.

Took gog.com up on an offer recently and bought Baldurs Gate I and II, Icewind dale I and II, Planescape in a package download deal for ~ $30. Playing BG I and 2 w/ EasyTutu mod and widescreen mod. Helps refresh the experience as the last time I played these games was around 2003 I'd guess. Just picked up Minsc. :)

My son requested Just Cause 2, and I've played that a bit. The engine is similar to Grand Theft Auto but mostly limited to shooting, blowing stuff up, driving, flying and skydiving. Not a whole lot of complicated missions to get into, just mindless, wanton destruction. :tup:

The grapple hook is a fun little twist.

Edited by billay

No malice intended...

TFord, how the fu(k do you have time to play all these games?

None taken and a fair question.

I ride a commuter bus for 45 minutes into work and 75 minutes back home. Minimum 2 hours a day to play handheld games and PS1 classics that fit on my Vita when I'm not napping.

When I'm not at the office, I'm on the road checking out fieldsites. The sites I visit are usually fairly isolated so there isn't much to do by way of nightlife. I usually bring a console with me and bang out a couple hours a night for something to do.

I don't watch TV at all. We don't even have cable. I watch my football with NFL Gamepass and the wife and kids watch Netflix and whatever else makes it to the Apple TV. When most people are laying around watching the tube for an hour here and there, I play video games.

Lastly, I simply don't sleep as much as everyone else in the house. My kids are still young enough that they need 12 hours of sleep. My wife usually goes to bed well before than me also. Easy to mix in 3-4 hours of gaming every odd night.

I typically don't play games at all during the day at home (unless the odd time I play with my kids) but when I'm by myself or it's at night, it's my go-to.

None taken and a fair question.

I ride a commuter bus for 45 minutes into work and 75 minutes back home. Minimum 2 hours a day to play handheld games and PS1 classics that fit on my Vita when I'm not napping.

When I'm not at the office, I'm on the road checking out fieldsites. The sites I visit are usually fairly isolated so there isn't much to do by way of nightlife. I usually bring a console with me and bang out a couple hours a night for something to do.

I don't watch TV at all. We don't even have cable. I watch my football with NFL Gamepass and the wife and kids watch Netflix and whatever else makes it to the Apple TV. When most people are laying around watching the tube for an hour here and there, I play video games.

Lastly, I simply don't sleep as much as everyone else in the house. My kids are still young enough that they need 12 hours of sleep. My wife usually goes to bed well before than me also. Easy to mix in 3-4 hours of gaming every odd night.

I typically don't play games at all during the day at home (unless the odd time I play with my kids) but when I'm by myself or it's at night, it's my go-to.

I was curious because a couple years back I was playing WoW a lot. Wife was not happy and put me on restriction.

The other day a commercial cam on advertising the new wow extension... My eyes lit up, my wife glared at me.

I was curious because a couple years back I was playing WoW a lot. Wife was not happy and put me on restriction.

The other day a commercial cam on advertising the new wow extension... My eyes lit up, my wife glared at me.

MMORPGs were a staple of my diet in my university days. I played way too much FFXI and WoW.

Finally, I decided that enough was enough and I sold my accounts. Easiest way to quit cold turkey.

I've always been a vidiot but the time demand on MMORPGs is too much. I like games that I can drop an hour on and stop.

MMORPGs were a staple of my diet in my university days. I played way too much FFXI and WoW.

Finally, I decided that enough was enough and I sold my accounts. Easiest way to quit cold turkey.

I've always been a vidiot but the time demand on MMORPGs is too much. I like games that I can drop an hour on and stop.

I still have my accounts and am paying for them monthly... Haven't played in two years.