[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Video Games; What are you playing lately?

Tford

I've been playing for a couple weeks. When I turn the game off at night, I realize I've had to take a piss for like two hours.

The Ritual Stone power that resurrects dead bodies to fight for you works awesome on dungeon bosses.

I had to take a break right after I got it because of work ramping up. I started back up right after my surgery. It was great to just lay on the couch for a week - doped up on percocets and playing Skyrim. I started over again with a new toon since I forgot a lot of things already. Normally, in the past I would play a sandbox game for a couple of weeks and then quit because I get so side tracked I wouldn't know what to do next. This time, i bought the big ass player guid and have been using Skyrim wikis and youtube videos to keep me on track with the main quest. Freaking love this game. Now I want to go back and re-do Elder Scrolls, Oblivion and the Fall out games.

Couple new games I've been playing lately are good enough that I justified a bump.

Borderlands 2 (Shooter/RPG; Singleplayer and online co-op)

Get this game. It improves on everything that Borderlands did well and carved out a lot of the BS. I sunk about 3.5 hours into this last night and I am very impressed.

The cel shaded appearance looks even better than its predecessor and the level progression allows for much more customization than previously. The comic nature of the game still shines through and will put a smile on your face more than once with its oddly placed humor.

I also found that the story of Borderlands 1 was picked up nicely but Borderlands 2 and allowed the player to quickly disengage from the old story into the new one.

PM me if you are playing PS3, I will play some co-op with you.

Also playing:

Tactics Ogre: Let us Cling together (PSP)

Fallout: New Vegas

Xenoblade Chronicles

Sonic CD

Sonic Generations

General Notes:

I dropped Diablo 3. It has become too much of a grind for my liking. I am very close to beating Diablo on the final difficulty but preparation to do so was becoming a full-time job. Not interested.

Phantasy Star Online 2 will completely ruin my life when it comes out in North America. I love this game and I have taken up a bit of Japanese reading in an effort to be able to read the text in the beta I have been playing.

I have successfully managed to avoid all sports video games for the first time in a long time. I used to buy one out of every three games for each major sport except basketball but this year I just can't get into it. I almost got suckered into golf.

Xenoblade Chronicles has become a bit of drag after a strong opening. I am not nearly as into it as I was a month ago. The story has slowed down and the fights has become too long and drawn out. I'm convinced that the end is near but I'm likely to leave this one on hold with Borderlands being as good as I had hoped.

I preordered two Nintendo Wii-Us. One to own and one to re-sell. The timing for the system release is in November so I am banking on a strong Christmas crowd and Nintendo's historically weak shipment numbers to meet demand to add a little holiday cash to my wallet. The launch lineup looks weak but could be bolstered by a new Mario game. I think the Wii-U could be a new standard if utilized properly.

Are you sure you are not a 13 year old asian kid?

I was curious because a couple years back I was playing WoW a lot. Wife was not happy and put me on restriction.

The other day a commercial cam on advertising the new wow extension... My eyes lit up, my wife glared at me.

MMORPGss were also a staple of my gaming diet from 1997 (AOL NWN), Ultima Online, EQ, WoW, Eve Online, Planetside, SW Empire Divided, SWTOR, ect. The problem is that the MMORPG has morphed from RPG style to Trolling/PVP/Grinding. So instead of calling them Massive Multi-Player Online Role Playing Games, the should be called Massive Multi-Player Online Repeatable Grinding Player Vs Player Games.

In Dec of 2011 I quit WoW because it was getting old and SWTOR came out. I played SWTOR (With Tford sometimes) from then until May of this year when I finally cancelled my account. It was better than I expected; however, the game content just felt empty and that it was more of a single player game. Once you got to end game there wasn't too much to do. So I quit that right when Diablo III popped up and played that until about 6 weeks ago. I'm on inferno, Act II and just got tired of the grinding and shelling out tons of gold just to get through one quest. So I went back to WoW to see how it was going. Horrible choice. This new expansion destroyed the game imo. The entire talent system was removed and you no longer have to train for talents/spells. You just automatically get them. The game has been dumbed down pretty hardcore.

I like eve online but it is a thinking mans game. It's a sandbox MMO and the community is very active. It's just so detailed that you can be overwhelmed. However, the graphics and ship battles are freaking awesome. The only draw back, when you lose a ship, it hurts. you have to go through the markets and buy a new one then re-equip it, ect, ect. And everything you do in the game requires you have a skill for it. It got old training all the time just to install a mining laser.

So, I'm making the transition from PC games back over to Console games.

Hater.

Although I will say that I am buying Dragon Quest Online the instant it come out. If that brands me as a 13 yr old asian, so be it.

Do you have an XBOX or PS III? I'm going to get Borderlands 2 and start playing. Everyone I know is jocking the Borderlands games (I've never played them).

Do you have an XBOX or PS III? I'm going to get Borderlands 2 and start playing. Everyone I know is jocking the Borderlands games (I've never played them).

I'm a PS3 guy. PM me if you want to throw down for some co-op. Borderlands is solid. I played through BL1 about three times. You will enjoy it.

I had to take a break right after I got it because of work ramping up. I started back up right after my surgery. It was great to just lay on the couch for a week - doped up on percocets and playing Skyrim. I started over again with a new toon since I forgot a lot of things already. Normally, in the past I would play a sandbox game for a couple of weeks and then quit because I get so side tracked I wouldn't know what to do next. This time, i bought the big ass player guid and have been using Skyrim wikis and youtube videos to keep me on track with the main quest. Freaking love this game. Now I want to go back and re-do Elder Scrolls, Oblivion and the Fall out games.

Two months later and I'm still playing. I want to finish it because my interest is waning, but I just spent three nights painstakingly leveling up my Smithing and Enchanting to level 100 so I could double enchant my dragon armor. :nerd:

Alright, my official rating for Borderlands 2: Horrible.

I play FPS so I'm used to the game mechanics but on the XBOX 360 the shooting/control/targeting isn't very good at all.

Really? Like you I've never played it but it seems to be the game everyone is talking about. It's really that bad though? Is the story worth a chit? Or is it more frustration than it's worth?

I probably shouldn't worry about it as I'm behind on games I want to play and there just isn't time with the wife and 2 small kids (I'm neither 14 or asian).

Really? Like you I've never played it but it seems to be the game everyone is talking about. It's really that bad though? Is the story worth a chit? Or is it more frustration than it's worth?

I probably shouldn't worry about it as I'm behind on games I want to play and there just isn't time with the wife and 2 small kids (I'm neither 14 or asian).

If you've played BL 1, it plays almost identical. Just a new story and sharper looking cel chading.

You either like Borderlands or you don't. Rent Borderlands 1 and if you like it, I would get BL 2.

If you've played BL 1, it plays almost identical. Just a new story and sharper looking cel chading.

You either like Borderlands or you don't. Rent Borderlands 1 and if you like it, I would get BL 2.

Seems reasonable. I'll still have to finish up Deus Ex HR on PC and then Assassins Creed Revelations on PS3 but maybe I'll try BL1 when I get some time.

I got that Skyrim 'hearthfire' download. On the surface, it might seem like very little for $5, but after getting raked over the coals in Vegas a couple weeks ago, I realized what a SNICKERSing bargain it is!

Next games up for me are Dead Space 3 and Bioshock 3.

Man, I have been working my way through BL 1 as a break from Skyrim. This game just keeps on going. It is awesome. I keep thinking the next area I unlock is going to be the end. Crazy lot of content.

Borderlands 1 was a lot of fun. The ending absolutely sucked though. After seeing that I refused to play it at all for a year or two, despite my friends' pleas to play it with them. I did eventually pick it up again and had fun with it, but I still think the ending sucks. I'm looking forward to playing Borderlands 2, but I'm waiting for a discount first (probably the Steam Christmas sale).

Oh, and I played the first one on PC, and I'll get the second one on PC as well. I can't stand playing a FPS on consoles anymore. The mouse and keyboard have spoiled me.

Borderlands 1 was a lot of fun. The ending absolutely sucked though. After seeing that I refused to play it at all for a year or two, despite my friends' pleas to play it with them. I did eventually pick it up again and had fun with it, but I still think the ending sucks. I'm looking forward to playing Borderlands 2, but I'm waiting for a discount first (probably the Steam Christmas sale).

Oh, and I played the first one on PC, and I'll get the second one on PC as well. I can't stand playing a FPS on consoles anymore. The mouse and keyboard have spoiled me.

:link: You might want to check out this thread on slickdeals for BL2. It sounds like it is a possible dubious source, but several people swear they have used them before and the steam keys registered fine with no issues. Probably not worth the risk (as I don't have time to play it anyway) but I considered it.

This is the reason why I'm not liking it. Console FPS are much harder to target and move around with instead of using a mouse and keyboard. I'm gotten better with the console but still get pissed when i can't target on one of the mobs. All they do is run around like crazy. I'm going to give it another week

This is the reason why I'm not liking it. Console FPS are much harder to target and move around with instead of using a mouse and keyboard. I'm gotten better with the console but still get pissed when i can't target on one of the mobs. All they do is run around like crazy. I'm going to give it another week

Stick with it Cliaz. Its a great game with a great sense of humor that offers an open world unlike any other FPS. Borderlands is not a pure FPS, so there might be a little tradeoff. Borderlands is to pure shooters what Burnout is to pure driving games (grand turismo sp?)

• 2 months later...

Grabbed a Wii U on release date. I like the concept and Wii to Wii U transformation is seamless. The Nintendo TVii have promise too but nothing released yet on that.

ZombiU is good but the tablet integration novelty wears off quickly. It's a decent to good horror survival game but the story isn't the best and sometimes the game can be pretty cheap. The panic that sets in as you fumble to enter a code while zombies are approaching is real and for that, the game is worth it if you like the genre.

Super Mario Wii U builds on the Super Mario Wii success. Basically the same game with different levels, Super Mario Wii U is a game that thrives on nostalgia and a surprisingly good multiplayer aspect. The tablet is incorporated into a time trial multiplayer mode that is kind of forced and not really the most fun.

I bought Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed for my boys but that's Christmas present so I haven't played it.

Also picked up XCOM: Enemy Unknown. This has quickly become one of my favorite games of late. If you haven't played to original XCOM, think Civilization meets military strategy game. Resource management, discovery trees, military strategy. This game is really different from the standard games that get published these days. It's turn based strategy despite having a firefight aspect to it. If you like Civilization, pick this game up.

Wrapped up Xenogears (PSOne) on my Vita again. I really enjoyed that game this time through. I was a teenager the last time I played it and I found it amazing how much of the story that I missed/didn't understand. So to that point, I grabbed Chrono Trigger PSOne remake for my Vita to play on the bus. I forgot how good this game really was/is. Remarkable story, amazing musical score, multiple paths for gameplay, multiple endings, original game concept (although the omniscient being trying to destroy the world is tired). This game was a Square Enix game before Squaresoft and Enix became one company. It's sad to see how awesome those two companies used to be compared to what they are now.

Finally, Star Wars: The Old Republic MMO went free to play recently. The story and gameplay is decent enough to give it a whirl even if I found multiplayer to be a bit lacking when I played. Thought about picking it up again but decided against it. I have too many unplayed games as is.

Currently being played:

XCOM: Enemy Unknown (PS3)

Borderlands 2 (PS3)

Chrono Trigger PSOne remake (Vita)

Tactics Ogre: Let us cling together (PSP)

Super Mario Wii U (Wii U)

Penny Arcade: On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness 3 (Iphone)

Final Fantasy Dimensions (Iphone)

On tap:

RAGE

Finish Fallout: New Vegas

Finish Xenoblade Chronicles

Last Story

Finish Zelda

Finish Skyrim

Front Mission Evolved

Finish Arc Rise Fantasia

Finish Sonic Generations