[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Video Games; What are you playing lately?

Tford

Post-Christmas bump: Vidiots, what did your video game Christmas haul look like?

Yours truly picked up:

Skyrim for PS3

Zelda: Skyward Sword

Sonic Generations for PS3

Battlefield 3 (PC Download came with my new mobo)

Star Wars: The Old Republic MMO

Civilization 5 (Steam)

Bastion (Steam)

Haven't been able to try any as the World Junior Hockey Championship has been on and I was able to get tickets. Hope to get into some of these fairly soon.

Edited by Tford

• 2 weeks later...

Can't stop playing Skyrim right now.. Have Uncharted 3 and Batman:Arkham City on deck... I have some work cut out for me..

The game I am probably looking forward to most in 2012 is Diablo III. I don't currently have a PC powerful enough to play it on but it is rumored now to being in development for consoles.. We'll see. The next 'Witcher' game is coming out on consoles too. I heard that is a great line of single player RPG games. Anyone have an opinion?

1 major complaint about Skyrim, I have leveled pretty high, and now I feel like I am unstoppable and just running through the quests/dungeons without any challenge.

Did anyone else experience this?

Yup. Been playing on the hardest setting since about level 5. Now, at level 14 I can still die to a single bear. Those bears are mean bastards.

Yup. Been playing on the hardest setting since about level 5. Now, at level 14 I can still die to a single bear. Those bears are mean bastards.

I forget what level I am but I think high 30's. I spent alot of time leveling my skills and as they leveled up so did I. I'm pretty unstoppable right now but that's not a good thing. I'm getting bored of it because of that. I am basically going through the quest just to get the story and finish the game. Up to this point the game was amazing but I am losing interest fast :wacko:

Can't stop playing Skyrim right now.. Have Uncharted 3 and Batman:Arkham City on deck... I have some work cut out for me..

The game I am probably looking forward to most in 2012 is Diablo III. I don't currently have a PC powerful enough to play it on but it is rumored now to being in development for consoles.. We'll see. The next 'Witcher' game is coming out on consoles too. I heard that is a great line of single player RPG games. Anyone have an opinion?

Cant speak for Witcher 2, but the first one was pretty awesome. However, my PC sucked so it was very choppy and I never finished it. I look forward to part 2 if indeed it does come out on consoles.

I forget what level I am but I think high 30's. I spent alot of time leveling my skills and as they leveled up so did I. I'm pretty unstoppable right now but that's not a good thing. I'm getting bored of it because of that. I am basically going through the quest just to get the story and finish the game. Up to this point the game was amazing but I am losing interest fast :wacko:

Have you tried increasing the difficulty? I went to expert around level 20 and I'm thinking of bumping up again now that I am up to the mid 30s

Just finished Uncharted 3 and traded it in for Skyrim, which I was also able to find used. I'm holding off on Skyrim because I know what a time suck it is. I'll probably play Modern Warfare 3 next and then Zelda: Skyward Sword, which will be the first time I've turned on the Wii in probably a couple years.

I rocked Civilization 5 for about 3 hours while the kids were watching a movie.

I'm still a big sucker for this game. Not really much new in the game, maybe some AI upgrades perhaps and a graphics upgrade but largely the concept remains the same. That said, it's still my favorite turn-based strategy series of all-time.

I'm still a big sucker for this game. Not really much new in the game, maybe some AI upgrades perhaps and a graphics upgrade but largely the concept remains the same. That said, it's still my favorite turn-based strategy series of all-time.

The 1 major thing I remember is that range attacks are 2 tiles now also you cant stack tiles

Batman: Arkham City (Adventure, strategy, beat 'em up) - Violence, adult themes and language, not kid friendly.

Graphics: 5 out of 5

Controls: 5 out of 5

Story: 4.5 out of 5

Replay value: 4 out of 5

Finished Batman: Arkham City over the weekend.

Really well done all the way around for Rocksteady. The story is amazing, even if you aren't a comic guy. The graphics and realism of the prison city immerses you into the game and really makes you feel the part you are playing. Arkham City improves on everything that Arkham Asylum did well. Stealth, puzzles, tactics etc.

I liked the Grand Theft Auto feel that you get from a city that has so much chaos going on. The battle system flows even better than before and you can use your gadgets mid-fight. One downside was that I found that so many supervillains were trying to be worked into the story that it seemed weak or almost superfluous. That said, it's a minor criticism at best.

Would recommend a buy as the side-missions and campaigns are more than enough to justify the price beyond an already incredible story.

Am thinking of picking this up. I played the demo for Arkham Asylum and liked it. Do I need to play Arkham Asylum first, or can I just ujump right in to Arkham City?

Am thinking of picking this up. I played the demo for Arkham Asylum and liked it. Do I need to play Arkham Asylum first, or can I just ujump right in to Arkham City?

No, the story of Arkham City picks up a year or so after Arkham Asylum ends but honestly, the story continuation really only happens for one character. The controls are similar so you can cut your teeth on Asylum if you like but really, playing City before Asylum is no big deal.

I like turn based stragy games so much more than the RTS games. RTS games stress me out too much. It would be awesome if there were more turn based tactics type games that weren't so terribly anime

• 2 weeks later...
Can't stop playing Skyrim right now..

Level 7 Nord, dual wielding enchanted swords, the "companion" Housecarl the Jarl gave me for killing the first dragon & trying to build up enough bank to buy a house to store all my crap and a horse to move around a little quicker. Pretty awesome so far with what little time I've had to play. Loving the new interfaces over Oblivion & Morrowind.

ETA: :wacko:

Edited by rajncajn

Level 7 Nord, dual wielding enchanted swords, the "companion" Housecarl the Jarl gave me for killing the first dragon & trying to build up enough bank to buy a house to store all my crap and a horse to move around a little quicker. Pretty awesome so far with what little time I've had to play. Loving the new interfaces over Oblivion & Morrowind.

ETA: :wacko:

Just an FYI, your companions can die. I've gone through quite a few already. My favorite is the Mage who refers to himself in the third person. It nevers gets old.

How does Civ 5 compare to say, Rome: Total War?

So, how do y'all get past the better half to play these games? Do you just turn the mute on or wait until your marriage is mature enough where you don't care what the other is doing? :wacko: