[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Email Spoof

General Itals

MY TERRIBLE ORDEAL!!!

I'm writing this with tears in my eyes,I came down here to London,United Kingdom for a short vacation unfortunately i got mugged at the park of the hotel where i stayed,all cash,credit card and cell were stolen off but luckily for me is that i still have my passports with me.

I've been to the embassy and the Police here but they're not helping issues at all and my flight leaves in less than 3hrs from now but am having problems settling the hotel bills and the hotel manager won't let me leave until i settle the bills,I'm freaked out at the moment.

G.I.......

I know a number of you received this email from me this morning. Thanks for the heads up. Feel free to send money if you want, but rest easy that I'm not stranded in London.

Kinda sucks because my contacts have been wiped clean as well as the last three months of my 'sent ' email file. I've changed my email password. What else do I need to do?

G.I.

I know a number of you received this email from me this morning. Thanks for the heads up. Feel free to send money if you want, but rest easy that I'm not stranded in London.

Kinda sucks because my contacts have been wiped clean as well as the last three months of my 'sent ' email file. I've changed my email password. What else do I need to do?

G.I.

Send me your routing and bank account number so that I can have access to your email.

My friend had the same thing happen to his Gmail account. The hackers changed the password so he couldn't even log in. He contacted Google. In order to have him prove it was his account, Google asked him some obscure question about his account that he could answer only if he had access to his account. He couldn't answer the question, so he had to start a new account.

FWIW, the 'Reply' addy has been changed from the correct one. The spoofer(ette) dropped the letter 'i' from the original.

Edited by rocknrobn26

I no longer have access to Facebook and my contact list in my Droid is gone. I'm assuming that this is because they are google related. Both my gmail and yahoo accounts were hacked.

Ugh, I've heard this happening more and more lately.

I no longer have access to Facebook and my contact list in my Droid is gone. I'm assuming that this is because they are google related. Both my gmail and yahoo accounts were hacked.

That sucks. The second time that my hotmail account got hacked, I closed it up. I still log into my Facebook using my non-existant hotmail account.

Have you run a couple of antivirus apps on your PC(s) yet?

Trendmicro has a free online one, and Panda Security as well.

I run Avast. We just got a laptop that we network to our desktop. The only think I can think of is that when I was setting that up and fooling around with it, is that I left a wrong port open. :wacko:

Me thinks it maybe wise for ALL members on the Hoarssss site to change their email addy and PW.

I'm sure it wouldn't hurt, but I don't think that this has put anybody else in jeopardy. I did have everybody in Homarrrrrrs set up as a contact group in my Yahoo account.

I'm sure it wouldn't hurt, but I don't think that this has put anybody else in jeopardy. I did have everybody in Homarrrrrrs set up as a contact group in my Yahoo account.

Perhaps, but if he has the PW or changed the PW on MFL, he could change the rest due to Admin rights.

I run Avast. We just got a laptop that we network to our desktop. The only think I can think of is that when I was setting that up and fooling around with it, is that I left a wrong port open. :wacko:

Maybe not depending on the strength of your password. The hacks have programs that try to gain access by varying common password patterns with a pretty good success rate.

Maybe if I use my example as an illustration...

I used AVG for a loooooong time. Just for the sake of being a techie, I ran HouseCall on my PC, and lo and behold, they found a couple of infected files specifically written for AVG, and that AVG did not "find". Many of these hackers know how popular AVG and the free antivirus apps are these days, so why not write a virus specific to the main free ones? I'm on Avast now too for the past few months, but I still run HouseCall on a regular basis. Can only help, IMHO.

GL.

And now that they have your friend's emails and info from your contacts, guess who's probably next... :tup:

Maybe if I use my example as an illustration...

I used AVG for a loooooong time. Just for the sake of being a techie, I ran HouseCall on my PC, and lo and behold, they found a couple of infected files specifically written for AVG, and that AVG did not "find". Many of these hackers know how popular AVG and the free antivirus apps are these days, so why not write a virus specific to the main free ones? I'm on Avast now too for the past few months, but I still run HouseCall on a regular basis. Can only help, IMHO.

GL.

And now that they have your friend's emails and info from your contacts, guess who's probably next... :wacko:

Thanks for the tip. Yeah, I hate that I have put others in this path. Am glad that no finincial accounts were put in harms way, though.

Shouldn't have the MFL password as it was different than my email passwords.

But the email I got was originated from MFL.

I guess they could have spoofed your yahoo acct and used your group list. Hard to say.