[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Gotta vent

Kid Cid

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was wrong, you deserve every bit of punishment this place can dish out on you. Pray you never lose someone close to you in this or any fashion only to have someone point blame at you when there is no cause for it. What you continue to do, even after asked by several to stop, even after apologizing, is well beyond anything I've ever witnessed on these boards and I've been here way longer than I care to admit. I can't recall ever seeing anyone here act with less class than what you have.

You're wasting your breath, every time he gets called out for something stooopid that he posts he ignores the thread. More of the same here I'm sure. Either that or he'll narc on someone for something.

You're wasting your breath, every time he gets called out for something stooopid that he posts he ignores the thread. More of the same here I'm sure. Either that or he'll narc on someone for something.

I realize that now. The Huddle community and it's owners don't deserve this kind of BS & for that I apologize to everyone here for my outburst, save one. Thanks Hugh.

Edited by rajncajn

You guys are effing unreal.

For starters, like Opie says, not all cyclists are alike. The thing is, most "a-hole cyclists" do nothing more than slow down traffic. Sure, some are reckless, but most are just annoying. "A-hole motorists" who are fed up with "a-hole cyclists" do far worse, like run them off the road. In other words, essentially all the retribution that motorists take on the cycling community is dangerous (and yes, blaring your horn just as you pass a cyclist is dangerous) And therein lies the problem. Despite the fact that my group and I 1) don't ride in packs larger than about 10, 2) make a point of avoiding major roads (because, trust me, it's every bit as unnerving to have a car up your ass as it is to be in a car following a cyclist), and 3) always call out to each other when there's a car and do our damnedest to get over as far as possible as soon as possible. Despite all this, we might be the group that some aggressive prick comes across after having endured one too many a-holes on a bike, so we may be the group that they buzz past, throw something at, or worse.

As far as why we ride at rush hour. Like you, we have jobs. So, besides weekends, we can either ride in the morning or in the evening. Trust me, again, if we had it our way, we'd ride at 10am when nobody is on the road. I can't make this point enough, it is far worse being a cyclist on a busy road than it is a motorist. As a cyclist, you've got nothing the "ghey clothes" you're wearing to protect you. That said, very few of us have the luxury of being able to avoid at least one or two major roads to get to the better roads to ride.

There's a bit of perspective that those of us who ride have on those of you who don't. We're both motorists and cyclists. So, we understand both sides of it. You all, quite obviously, do not and should really shut your hole about most of this. Not the least of which is your lack of understanding about the clothes. Just because a pair of gym shorts and a t-shirt is fine for the 3x times per year you hop your cruiser and ride around the neighborhood, does not mean that's gonna cut it for a long ride. As for the "moose knuckle" and "man-boobs" bit, you guys are just making this crap up in an attempt to one-up each other in this little circle jerk of d-baggery. Yes, I think it's pretty effing funny seeing a fat dude in cycling clothes. We call them medicine balls. But, at least in every region I've lived, most guys who rock cycling gear are not fat. Also, cycling shorts have a massive pad at the crotch that, at very least, hides the view from behind. You really have to be looking for it, and I'd like to suggest that if you're riding that close to a cyclist (which you shouldn't be), you keep your eyes on the road rather than on his package. That's the part that really gets me. Every time this topic comes up, there's at least as much about the clothes as there is about the behavior. It's funny and pathetic at the same time. Get the hell over it.

And, then there's the other side of the coin. Hot women in cycling clothes. And there's at least as many of them as there are fat, hairy effers who offend your delicate sense of aesthetic. Get behind one of these ladies in a pace-line and it's pretty nice. Mostly because their shorts are also shorter. Again, very nice indeed.

Keggerz, I wish we had more bike paths where I live, but we don't. We've got one glass-strewn trail that's a few miles long that cuts through one of the most dangerous parts of town. Forgive me if I look elsewhere for my riding spot. Mostly, I wish we just had bike lanes. Because, like you, I also pay taxes.

So, our version of "share the road" means, every now and then, you're going to have to wait a bit to get around us. It seems like your version of "share the road" is "stay the hell of my g-damned road!" Sure, it makes for a better story when "every time you come across cyclists, they ride in a pack of 40 and don't get over, causing you to go 20 mph for 20 miles", but be honest, what you're really complaining about doesn't happen that way very often at all. Again, I've lived in cycling-heavy communities for most of my life and, while you think I might be more tolerant of a-holes on bikes, it's actually the opposite, because not only am I going through the same frustrations as a motorist that you are, I'm doubly pissed because I know that this guy is giving me a bad name and fostering the level of hate shown in this thread that may end up endangering me. Yet, despite this, I just don't see the crap that everyone insists is happening, seemingly all the time.

But you guys are right, Opie is the real dick here. Your little circle jerk of d-baggery and championing of border-line dangerous behavior is totally cool.

For starters, like Opie says, not all cyclists are alike. The thing is, most "a-hole cyclists" do nothing more than slow down traffic. Sure, some are reckless, but most are just annoying. "A-hole motorists" who are fed up with "a-hole cyclists" do far worse, like run them off the road. In other words, essentially all the retribution that motorists take on the cycling community is dangerous (and yes, blaring your horn just as you pass a cyclist is dangerous) And therein lies the problem. Despite the fact that my group and I 1) don't ride in packs larger than about 10, 2) make a point of avoiding major roads (because, trust me, it's every bit as unnerving to have a car up your ass as it is to be in a car following a cyclist), and 3) always call out to each other when there's a car and do our damnedest to get over as far as possible as soon as possible. Despite all this, we might be the group that some aggressive prick comes across after having endured one too many a-holes on a bike, so we may be the group that they buzz past, throw something at, or worse.

As far as why we ride at rush hour. Like you, we have jobs. So, besides weekends, we can either ride in the morning or in the evening. Trust me, again, if we had it our way, we'd ride at 10am when nobody is on the road. I can't make this point enough, it is far worse being a cyclist on a busy road than it is a motorist. As a cyclist, you've got nothing the "ghey clothes" you're wearing to protect you. That said, very few of us have the luxury of being able to avoid at least one or two major roads to get to the better roads to ride.

There's a bit of perspective that those of us who ride have on those of you who don't. We're both motorists and cyclists. So, we understand both sides of it. You all, quite obviously, do not and should really shut your hole about most of this. Not the least of which is your lack of understanding about the clothes. Just because a pair of gym shorts and a t-shirt is fine for the 3x times per year you hop your cruiser and ride around the neighborhood, does not mean that's gonna cut it for a long ride. As for the "moose knuckle" and "man-boobs" bit, you guys are just making this crap up in an attempt to one-up each other in this little circle jerk of d-baggery. Yes, I think it's pretty effing funny seeing a fat dude in cycling clothes. We call them medicine balls. But, at least in every region I've lived, most guys who rock cycling gear are not fat. Also, cycling shorts have a massive pad at the crotch that, at very least, hides the view from behind. You really have to be looking for it, and I'd like to suggest that if you're riding that close to a cyclist (which you shouldn't be), you keep your eyes on the road rather than on his package. That's the part that really gets me. Every time this topic comes up, there's at least as much about the clothes as there is about the behavior. It's funny and pathetic at the same time. Get the hell over it.

And, then there's the other side of the coin. Hot women in cycling clothes. And there's at least as many of them as there are fat, hairy effers who offend your delicate sense of aesthetic. Get behind one of these ladies in a pace-line and it's pretty nice. Mostly because their shorts are also shorter. Again, very nice indeed.

Keggerz, I wish we had more bike paths where I live, but we don't. We've got one glass-strewn trail that's a few miles long that cuts through one of the most dangerous parts of town. Forgive me if I look elsewhere for my riding spot. Mostly, I wish we just had bike lanes. Because, like you, I also pay taxes.

So, our version of "share the road" means, every now and then, you're going to have to wait a bit to get around us. It seems like your version of "share the road" is "stay the hell of my g-damned road!" Sure, it makes for a better story when "every time you come across cyclists, they ride in a pack of 40 and don't get over, causing you to go 20 mph for 20 miles", but be honest, what you're really complaining about doesn't happen that way very often at all. Again, I've lived in cycling-heavy communities for most of my life and, while you think I might be more tolerant of a-holes on bikes, it's actually the opposite, because not only am I going through the same frustrations as a motorist that you are, I'm doubly pissed because I know that this guy is giving me a bad name and fostering the level of hate shown in this thread that may end up endangering me. Yet, despite this, I just don't see the crap that everyone insists is happening, seemingly all the time.

But you guys are right, Opie is the real dick here. Your little circle jerk of d-baggery and championing of border-line dangerous behavior is totally cool.

:wacko: without having to read this whole thang is the answer

A) don't you have some toast ta burn

B)Good info here

TIA

In full disclosure, I would like to add the following partial mea culpa:

Going back through, I notice that there wasn't really any even borderline dangerous motorist retribution discussed (besides in jest by Opie). That said, as a cyclist, it is hard to read through a thread like this and not get my blood boiling a bit. Further, every time this sort of "yeah, me to" thing gets started, it is hard not to feel that aggressive motorist behavior towards cyclists is not emboldened even if only a bit. Sure, nearly all will simply be pissed in their cars and that will be the end of it. But if these sorts of discussions happen enough (and they happen plenty, and every time you get into the same one-upping exaggeration contest), the chance of someone going Rambo increases. And then, some poor a-hole who's minding his own business and just trying to get a ride in, is going to be the wrong guy in the wrong place, and is going to get hurt.

Edited by detlef

Take Hugh's advice & lighten up Francis. Most of us are just joking. Although they can be a hugh annoyance, I'm pretty sure no one here would seriously try to harm a biker. FWIW, my brother is an avid bike rider & does a lot of off-road and on racing. He works for the state of California creating bike trails.

I do also agree that I think the nation needs to invest a lot more into designated biking lanes. Especially with the way gas prices and the economy are. If I knew I wouldn't get killed then I'd love to ride my bike to work every day. I could certainly use the exercise. But my only two choices are one of the busiest highways in the nation or a rural, unlit back road with no shoulder.

Ummm, I'm the guy that thinks no cars under 300 horsepower should be on the road, so you know how I feel about bicycles. There are plenty of empty parking lots for you to circle. You don't need "realisitic" road conditions when there are thousands of cars trying to get around during rush hour.

Take Hugh's advice & lighten up Francis. Most of us are just joking. Although they can be a hugh annoyance, I'm pretty sure no one here would seriously try to harm a biker. FWIW, my brother is an avid bike rider & does a lot of off-road and on racing. He works for the state of California creating bike trails.

I do also agree that I think the nation needs to invest a lot more into designated biking lanes. Especially with the way gas prices and the economy are. If I knew I wouldn't get killed then I'd love to ride my bike to work every day. I could certainly use the exercise. But my only two choices are one of the busiest highways in the nation or a rural, unlit back road with no shoulder.

Read my second post. Considering the number of brushes most of us who have ridden a bunch have had with a-hole motorists, it's hard to read a thread like this and not dig in. I've been listening to sports radio when one of the DJs goes on some rant like Cid's and, next thing you know, the phone lines light up with guys advocating any number of effed up "solutions". And when the DJs do very little to curb the direction of the conversation, it's hard not to feel like a deer in hunting season. Same with a thread like this. So, considering the one guy who came before me and stood up for cyclist was quickly crapped on for crossing the line (there's obviously a back story that I'm not familiar with, perhaps that recent thread about drunk drivers? I forget who started it or exactly what it was about), I figured I'd give my side of the argument another shot.

Again, looking back through, I realize that nobody really crossed that line here, but the sentiment is quite palpable and, did not seem very "joking" to me.

Because I want to avoid traffic, I usually ride out in the country. You know what my reward is for that? A higher likelihood of rednecks. Every single time I hear some big truck coming from behind, I'm on guard, because this may be the tool who decides to play Death Race 2000 with my ass. Which, btw, is one of the reasons why we ride in packs.

Oh and one more thing, part of the reason why cycling clothes are garish, is because being seen is very good for our survival.

Edited by detlef

Read my second post.

Understood & I was about to respond. I can see why a biker would get his feathers ruffled. I know it's not on the same level, but not unlike racism, joking about it only emboldens those idiots that would do you harm.

P.S. I still think you look ghey.

Also, cycling shorts have a massive pad at the crotch that, at very least, hides the view from behind. You really have to be looking for it, and I'd like to suggest that if you're riding that close to a cyclist (which you shouldn't be), you keep your eyes on the road rather than on his package. That's the part that really gets me. Every time this topic comes up, there's at least as much about the clothes as there is about the behavior. It's funny and pathetic at the same time. Get the hell over it.

Hehe. I never bothered too look. Wow. Nice write-up.

They would probably go up so the oil companies profit wouldn't go down.

that was my guess. Well, besides the fact that it would require essentially every single person for whom this is even an option to start riding to even make a dent at all in world-wide consumption. Probably not even then.

The whole "ride your bike, save the planet" bit is rather over-blown. Sure, I guess it would be a nice feeling to know that you, personally were not adding to the fuel problem on your way to work. But that's about as far as it would go.

Again, for far too many people, it's simply not feasible. Unless you live really close and/or your place of work has showers and plenty of other factors, our society is just too set up for cars for this to be a realistic option.

I long for the good old days when the roads were bike free and all you had to worry about was some Amish family out with the old horse and buggy.

My area is not conducive to the bikers yet they still feel the need to muck it all up. I hate every single one of them.

det...if you can see this, have you ever done Ragbrai?

Nope. I've never lived near enough to Iowa, nor have I ever been into riding enough to go that far for a ride.

I used to ride competitively when I was younger (but mostly triathalons and doing the cycling portion of triathalon as a part of a relay team).

Now I just do somewhat hi-level group rides and one or two day events (like the MS 150). Not races, per se, but everyone still knows who got home first. Which, as I get older, is far less often me, so I've got to pick my spots. Honestly, depending on the group, I'm usually happy just to hang with them and take my fair share of turns pulling from the front.

I ride an old steel bike that, if you know what you're looking at, you'll realize is actually a pretty cool bike, but it's not at all flashy. So, I'm the older guy on the ride who looks like he could lose a pound or two, doesn't shave his legs, and isn't riding a $6000 Cervello, so I'm not the guy who you're figuring is going to beat you to the top of the hill. So, if or when I do, it's because you got sloppy and let your guard down and you're probably going to buy me a beer afterward. Hell, you might buy me one just because I didn't get dropped. :wacko:

Edited by detlef

I jog so my disdain for the vast majority of bikers has nothing to do with my commute. Just because you a-holes are doing 35 mph doesn't mean you own the f*cking trails.

There's this one particular stop sign as you exit Mockingbird by the lake that the bikers never stop at. When I am driving I come up on this stop sign and I go a speed where the folks on their bikes can't tell if I'm going to come to a full stop or a califronia stop. It forces them to do what they hate - obey the rules of the road and observe the stop sign. That's for almost killing me every time I'm dumb enough to try and take a jog around the lake.

I'm sure; however, that det and I could share the trails amicably.

i didn't read your massive tome that preceded this but i'm confused as to how all those words could not represent full disclosure.

You know, for a guy who repeatedly makes a point of not giving a crap about what I'm saying (which is fine by me, btw), you sure seem to pop up pretty often with some catty, twit-like response every time I do. Move along, ignore me. Honestly, there's plenty of room for both of us here.

On another topic. So what is the back story with Opie, buddhaj, and the DUI? I assumed it had something to do with the latest thread, but that was started by Bier. Just curious. The way everyone ran with it, I assume there must be something specific.

ETA: I've since been clued in on the details. Opie officially sucks.

Edited by detlef

You know, for a guy who repeatedly makes a point of not giving a crap about what I'm saying (which is fine by me, btw), you sure seem to pop up pretty often with some catty, twit-like response every time I do. Move along, ignore me. Honestly, there's plenty of room for both of us here.

so you DO have the ability to recognize catty, twit-like behavior ... strange.