[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Gotta vent

Kid Cid

When in doubt, apply Death Race 2000 rules to everything on the road. Thats all I gotta say about that.

If anyone ever aims at me, I'm unclipping and aiming my fat ass for the driver's side of the windshield. Proceed at your own risk.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably because she'd had to slow down from 35 mph to 25 for almost FIVE SECONDS. Boy, what a massive inconvenience.

As for why, in general, a cyclist won't ride on a sidewalk/bike path and prefers the street - sidewalks and bike paths (or more accurately, multi-use paths) are filled with people joggin/walking/rollerblading/etc anywhere from 10 mph to 4 mph.

:wacko:

so lemme get this straight...you give sarcastic grief to the driver because she had to slow down from 35 to 25.....then in the very next paragraph, explain that bikers are on the roads and not the paths because they don't want to be inconvenienced with having to slow down for walkers?

that is some funny, f'd up chit

so lemme get this straight...you give sarcastic grief to the driver because she had to slow down from 35 to 25.....then in the very next paragraph, explain that bikers are on the roads and not the paths because they don't want to be inconvenienced with having to slow down for walkers?

I probably wasn't clear - it's a safety issue on the multi-use paths, especially during busy times of the day, due to unpredictable kids/dogs. NM trying to ride hard, unless you're going barely above walking pace, the risk of hitting a kid or dog and seriously injuring them OR myself makes me prefer the road.

But whatever, it appears you're mind is made up and bikes should not be allowed to be...uh, wherever you are.

Edited by Chavez

The question is: are you really offended or are you just upset because it's what you perceive to be the 'correct' (widely accepted) emotion?

The answer is I am offended on several fronts. That he was insensitive to Buddah on several sober occasions, and in this thread in particular, offended me by thinking I'd be stupid enough to believe his lame, after-the-fact excuse that his post was due to him being drunk, when none of his other posts last night smelled of booze.

Personally, I think he realized he pissed a lot of people off, and rather than offer a sincere apology, he opted instead for the worm way out: to make up a story that he was drunk.

The answer is I am offended on several fronts. That he was insensitive to Buddah on several sober occasions, and in this thread in particular, offended me by thinking I'd be stupid enough to believe his lame, after-the-fact excuse that his post was due to him being drunk, when none of his other posts last night smelled of booze.

Personally, I think he realized he pissed a lot of people off, and rather than offer a sincere apology, he opted instead for the worm way out: to make up a story that he was drunk.

Ding...ding...ding.

...or let's perhaps put it this way:

Guy - "my friend died of lung cancer"

Dude - "HE PROBABLY DESERVED IT!" http://www.americanrivercurrent.com/polopo.../2587735139.jpg

EVERYONE - "uh, that's pretty asinine"

Dude - "uh, I was drunk. And kidding. Ha ha!"

Q - what do we think of Dude in this instance?

I probably wasn't clear - it's a safety issue on the multi-use paths, especially during busy times of the day, due to unpredictable kids/dogs. NM trying to ride hard, unless you're going barely above walking pace, the risk of hitting a kid or dog and seriously injuring them OR myself makes me prefer the road.

But whatever, it appears you're mind is made up and bikes should not be allowed to be...uh, wherever you are.

Wait...so bikers don't like the paths because of the danger and unpredictability of the slower pedestrians/dogs....but they in turn are not a distraction to people operating 40-50 mph vehicles who have to slow down on our roadways? Got it.

To be honest, I don't have a dog in this fight...I just find your logic flawed. The only beef I have is with the uber-ghey outfits you guys wear, apparently at your own will. I'd rather be hit by a car, or bitten by a dog I'd just run over.

Dude - "HE PROBABLY DESERVED IT!" http://www.americanrivercurrent.com/polopo.../2587735139.jpg

EVERYONE (except Brentastic) - "uh, that's pretty asinine"

Fixed for accuracy.

EVERYONE - "uh, that's pretty asinine"

+1

Wait...so bikers don't like the paths because of the danger and unpredictability of the slower pedestrians/dogs....but they in turn are not a distraction to people operating 40-50 mph vehicles who have to slow down on our roadways? Got it.

Less of a distraction, I would think, than talking or texting on a cell phone.

Besides, if we're talking urban-type rush hour traffic, it isn't as though anyone actually paying attention to their driving should be going "OH MY GOD WHERE DID THAT BIKE COME FROM!?!? NOW I HAVE TO SLAM ON THE BRAKES!"

Less of a distraction, I would think, than talking or texting on a cell phone.

Besides, if we're talking urban-type rush hour traffic, it isn't as though anyone actually paying attention to their driving should be going "OH MY GOD WHERE DID THAT BIKE COME FROM!?!? NOW I HAVE TO SLAM ON THE BRAKES!"

....although here I'm making the assumption that anyone riding in rush hour traffic is smart enough to stay to the right, signal constantly, be completely aware of what's going on around him/her, and not ride erratically and unpredictably.

I've been updated on some details I wasn't aware of including what you've said above. I've just never noticed Opie being a dick before - never paid too much attention either. I haven't seen these other posts and don't care enough to dig them up. Either way, it sounds like he's said some things he (hopefully) wishes he hadn't.

I think you guys are being too hard on Opie. The way I see it, he's just sorta oblivious to some social graces. I don't think he's intentionally trying to hurt someone. I mean, I sorta have a cruel sense of humor around various friends. It's not all that hard to imagine being drunk and on the huddle with many huddlers you consider 'friends' and being sloppy with your social awareness. I'm not saying I'd be dumb enough to do that, but I can imagine the harmless intent albeit poor judgement.

When people hold anger, especially after an apology is given, I dunno, kinda seems weak and immature, imo. The question is: are you really offended or are you just upset because it's what you perceive to be the 'correct' (widely accepted) emotion?

At first he didn't apologize in the last thread, far from it. He dug in and preached some more. Then after everyone was outraged, he apologized. In this thread he offered a lame and suspect excuse rather than apologizing. To me, an apology carries with it some true remorse and an intention not to do it again. What's it been, a month?

I speak only for myself, but this is not out of anger...rather it's about being vigilant against a crappy element ruining this place. A few more like him, who's going to feel safe sharing anything personal? This is a community of 99% good folks that support each other, and we should defend this place. To that end, maybe some of us will exercise the ignore function, and maybe our FF league invites, a little more judiciously after seeing what went down here.

At first he didn't apologize in the last thread, far from it. He dug in and preached some more. Then after everyone was outraged, he apologized. In this thread he offered a lame and suspect excuse rather than apologizing. To me, an apology carries with it some true remorse and an intention not to do it again. What's it been, a month?

I speak only for myself, but this is not out of anger...rather it's about being vigilant against a crappy element ruining this place. A few more like him, who's going to feel safe sharing anything personal? This is a community of 99% good folks that support each other, and we should defend this place. To that end, maybe some of us will exercise the ignore function, and maybe our FF league invites, a little more judiciously after seeing what went down here.

I think you're being a little liberal in saying 99% of huddlers are 'good folks'. There are a few good ones for sure but there are plenty who are not and there's also a lot of the buddy system going on here where no matter who is in the right or wrong, the more 'popular' will get defended by the masses. That's what bothers me the most, if you scratch the right backs you can do no harm. Morality shouldn't be defined by who says the right things around the right people. There are too many huddlers who think they're judge and jury for everything that's right or wrong in the world.

I've been pm'd by a few people now regarding this topic and I'm hearing 2 sides to this story so I'll reserve my judgement on Opie and buddahj based only on what I personally read or interpret. So far, both guys haven't shown me anything near evil or bad - in a nutshell, I think both Opie and buddah are alright huddlers. You're one of those good folks too I might add :wacko:

I think you're being a little liberal in saying 99% of huddlers are 'good folks'. There are a few good ones for sure but there are plenty who are not and there's also a lot of the buddy system going on here where no matter who is in the right or wrong, the more 'popular' will get defended by the masses. That's what bothers me the most, if you scratch the right backs you can do no harm. Morality shouldn't be defined by who says the right things around the right people. There are too many huddlers who think they're judge and jury for everything that's right or wrong in the world.

I've been pm'd by a few people now regarding this topic and I'm hearing 2 sides to this story so I'll reserve my judgement on Opie and buddahj based only on what I personally read or interpret. So far, both guys haven't shown me anything near evil or bad - in a nutshell, I think both Opie and buddah are alright huddlers. You're one of those good folks too I might add :tup:

Brent, I think the vast majority of Huddler's like you, myself included. We all know some people here can have some pretty strong opinions, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. :wacko: But as a result of those differences, we all can take things a little too personally at times. Sometimes guys do tend to pile on & I agree, it's not always deserved. I don't think anyone should have to try to be someone else or play the part to fit in here. This place has always been about different personalities, cultures & lifestyles mingling with a simple common ground (football) and that's part of what makes it so great.

As for the other subject... I am not here to pile on. If you think me someone who follows a buddy system, or whatever, then you have me mistaken. And just so my motives are clear, there is nothing that I've said to you or anyone here that I haven't already said to LordOpie. If you want to compare PM's with each other or post them I have no problems with that whatsoever. As I told him privately initially, I'd never had a problem with him & thought him an alright guy as well. I also told him that I didn't agree with the way some Huddler's had handled whatever their issue was with him. But that is between him & whoever else it is and I want no part of it. As for this issue, If I am mistaken then I will absolutely be the first to admit it. In fact I would love to be wrong and it be all a big misunderstanding, but I have yet to see anything that would sway opinion.

I've been pm'd by a few people now regarding this topic and I'm hearing 2 sides to this story so I'll reserve my judgement on Opie and buddahj based only on what I personally read or interpret. So far, both guys haven't shown me anything near evil or bad - in a nutshell, I think both Opie and buddah are alright huddlers. You're one of those good folks too I might add :wacko:

When I say "good", I just mean non-trolls, non-welchers, etc. They may beat their wives, who knows, but they have enough common sense to understand how not to be disruptive in an online forum. Maybe I shoulda said good huddlers instead of good folks. If someone were to share something personal about their loved one being in the hospital, I'd venture that 99% of huddlers wouldn't say they had it coming. Was thinking it would be awesome if we could bring that up to 100%. :tup:

This place has always been about different personalities, cultures & lifestyles mingling with a simple common ground (football) and that's part of what makes it so great.

As long as we don't get a second Mexican in here, I'm okay with it. Just having Chavez around is enough for this place as it is.

Why are all you homos PM'ing each other? Like a bunch of middle school girls passing notes. Candyasses.

"Don't be jealous Napoleon..."

As long as we don't get a second Mexican in here, I'm okay with it. Just having Chavez around is enough for this place as it is.

You forgot about Menudo.

This.

There are no "rules of the path". If someone is walking along and they see a flower, they may just stop right then and there and check it out. Even if that means making a hard-left move directly across the path to do so. It's a path, after all. And, like Chavez mentioned, there's the whole dog and leash bit as well. Quite simply, the likelihood of cyclist and motorists safely coexisting on the road is far greater than cyclists and pedestrians coexisting on the path.

Even rude cyclists still know better than to stop on a dime and make a 90 degree turn directly into speeding traffic. Not saying that nobody is stupid enough to do that, but that would require an act of total recklessness and stupidity. On the path, it could be as simple as someone just not being aware. Because, again, it's a path. It's not a place for people to be doing anything in excess of 5-10 mph.

Sorry swammi, but you are 100% incorrect on this. We don't avoid these paths because we don't want to be inconvenienced, we do so because we don't want to endanger ourselves or others.