[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Grilled shrimp

Choppy

Easiest thing in the world if you want to try something different. Skewer the shrimp and dust with salt, pepper and ancho chile powder. Grill over direct high heat for 2 minutes per side. Serve with lime slices. More of a Mexican flavor though.

Edited by Kid Cid

Anyone got one. Looking for a Carribean or cajun flavor. I've made em plenty of times but always just BBQ. Wanting to try something different. Any tips/ suggestions appreciated.

I don't know if you have Wegmans stores where you are but I buy their bottled Lemon And Garlic marinade and marinate them for 2 hours and grill. Awesome

Here's the one I use...even my mother-in-law complimented me after she enjoyed

Ingredients:

1 lb 15 count shrimp, peeled to the last section

leaving the tail for a handle, butterflied

2 clove garlic, minced

1 Tbs kosher salt

1 tsp paprika

1/2 tsp cayenne pepper

2 tsp lemon juice

2 Tbs olive oil

Cooking Directions:

The only thing you can do wrong with it is to over cook the shrimp, or try to use

ones that are too small and they fall through the grid. I use the frozen U-15 ones from

Sam's club.

Take 1 Tbs of kosher salt and 2 garlic cloves(minced) and mash them into a paste with

the side of your knife or a mortar and pestle(easier).

Add to that paste 1 tsp paprika, ½ tsp cayenne pepper, 2 tsp lemon juice, and 2 Tbs olive

oil.

Thaw and peel the shrimp, all but the tail section, for a handle. Butterfly them by cutting

down the back halfway through the shrimp. If they have a vein remove it now.

Mix the shrimp with the marinade then grill direct. Go about 2 minutes on the first side at

about 400 degrees, when they start to curl up, flip them and watch until they curl fairly tight

and remove immediately. Some of them won't curl tight but you can pretty much tell

when they are done, don't overcook!

Let them rest for a few minutes and enjoy.

The only thing you can do wrong with it is to over cook the shrimp, or try to use

ones that are too small and they fall through the grid. I use the frozen U-15 ones from

Sam's club.

You could also get a cedar or alder wood plank, soak it for a few hours and cook the shrimp on those. Just warm up the plank on the grill beforehand. Gives the shrimp some smoky flavor and keeps them from direct heat. I cook large shrimp at about 350 degrees for about 7 minutes.

• 2 weeks later...
What's the diff between ancho chile powder and the regular stuff?

Ancho chile powder is made only from dried ancho chiles. The regular stuff is often a blend of dried chilies and perhaps some paprika or other spice thrown in. The ancho chile powder gives a deeper, earthier flavor than regular chili and as twiley said, it can seem smokey at times even though the peppers aren't smoked. If I want a smokier flavor, I'll use Chipotle Chile powder. Note the different spellings as that is intentional.

For example, here's the ingredient list from McCormick's Gourmet Chili Powder:CHILI PEPPER, SPICES, SALT, SILICON DIOXIDE (ADDED TO MAKE FREE FLOWING), AND GARLIC.

Now here's the list from their Gourmet Ancho Chile Pepper: ANCHO CHILE PEPPERS AND SILICON DIOXIDE (ADDED TO MAKE FREE FLOWING).

And just for fun, here's their Gourmet Chipotle Chile Pepper: CHIPOTLE CHILE PEPPERS AND SILICON DIOXIDE (ADDED TO MAKE FREE FLOWING).