[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What? No Masters Thread?

Scooby's Hubby

Rory folded like a cheap suit. A triple and a double on the first three holes of the back nine. And the hook into the creek on 13. Wow.

I feel for the kid, and I'm not surprised. This is in fact one of those potential finishes that will be one for the ages. Anyone of 7 players can win.

After the hook into the creek, it looked like he was going to start crying.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nicely done :wacko:

what sucks is I am sure that we will have to hear about Tiger all week long, even though he finished FOUR strokes back

No chit, I'm surprised Nance didn't run down to the 18th green and just get it over with and give him a hummer right there...the man love for woods ruins the coverage. Great tourny though other than that, best one i can remember in a long time. Rory will bounce right back and be fine.

That was fun to watch. I was surprised that Tiger played as well as he did... All I had heard, leading up to last week (from various experts who are much closer to the PGA than any of us... guys who watch him practice regularly, etc.), was that his game was nowhere close to putting him in contention for anything, much less the Masters. Just another reason why I believe he is the best ever, and will eventually win several more tournaments, and probably a few more majors. After all, he's only 35... given the phyical condition that he keeps himself in, he's easily got another decade or so before it becomes unlikely that he wins a major, due to his age. Even then, it's hard to count the guy out... He does things that nobody else has done, or CAN do. So, if Tom Watson can compete in a major at 60, I have no reason to believe that Tiger couldn't do so at 45 or 50 (assuming he's still playing at that point). Nobody else, on today's tour, can compete in a major while not playing their best. Tiger has done so on several occasions. Once he's got the main elements of his game back on track (I don't think one weekend proves that he does, necessarily), there's little doubt in my mind that he'll win another major.

I didn't really have a rooting interest, going into yesterday, which might be why it was so fun to watch. None of the guys that I picked in my league did well (five of six made the cut, but Justin Rose finished the best of the five, and he was only 5 under par). If there's one thing I've learned, over the past 15-20 years, it's that golf is a very fickle game, particularly if you're trying to predict who is going to win a particular tournament. Over the last couple of hours yesterday, I found myself pulling for the three Aussies near the top... Ogilvy (I've always rooted for this guy... love his demeanor and style of play), Scott (has always had the tools to be a major champion, but has yet to get it done), and Day (seems like a nice guy, and fun to watch... hits it a mile for his size). It just seems hard to believe that an Australian has never won the Masters, considering all of the quality players on tour, over the years... Appleby, Allenby, Baddeley, Pampling, Norman, and others... not to mention the three above, who are all in the top 30 in the world, currently.

As for McIlroy, I don't think he'll let yesterday get the best of him. Everybody who is close to him says that he is very mature for his age, and yet he's the youngest golfer ever to reach the distinction of being in the world's top 10. The thing about him is that he has not yet learned how to take his foot off the gas pedal, so to speak. He led the field in distance all week, and this isn't the first time that a few bad holes cost him a major championship. In last year's Open (British), he followed an opening round 63 (led by multiple strokes then as well) with an 80... yet still managed to finish in 3rd place. Granted, leading after 18 is much different than leading after 54, but my point is that he's been in the lead before, only to lose it on a couple of holes. Prior to that, he blew away the field on Sunday at Quail Hollow, finishing with a 62 to win by four. He also finished third in last year's PGA Championship, so he's been in contention in three of the past for majors, and he's 21. Basically, he's capable of breaking the course record anywhere, at any time... He's just got to figure out how to eliminate the rounds of 6-10 over par, in order to become a major winner. That's going to come in time, probably sooner, rather than later. I'd be surprised if he doesn't win somewhere this year, and wouldn't be surprised at all if it's one of the three remaining majors. If I had to guess, though, I'd say he's a year or so away, from actually winning one of the big four.

some guy named schwartzkopf won, and some guy with a smokin hot tennis player girlfriend got second. and tiger missed a bunch of easy putts and looked pissed.

that about cover it? :wacko:

I don't remember seeing Hank Keuhne anywhere near the top of the leaderboard.

• 11 months later...

I think Rory gets it done this time. He proved that he could bounce back from the 4th round last year by dominating the U.S. Open. He has the game for Augusta and is still looking for a little redemption.

I'm in a yahoo fantasy golf league where we pick 2 "A" players, 4 "B" players, and 2 "C" players. My roster right now:

A:

Mickelson - playing well this year and plays Augusta well.

Luke Donald - I honestly think that the "A" list is the weakest. Luke Donald is one of my favorite players, but I don't really think he has the game to win the Masters (as opposed to the Open or the U.S. Open). I'm hoping he can improve a little on last year's 4th place finish.

B:

Tiger - funny seeing him in the B list.

Rory - ditto

Westwood - ditto

Justin Rose - plenty of Augusta experience and with a recent win, riding a high.

C:

Fred Couples - If Fred is available, I'm picking him. He'll have 2 good rounds.

Angel Cabrera - Just can't bet against him at the Masters. You can't really put him on any trend. He's up and down with everything else, but plays well at Augusta...still a few years younger than Jack was in '86.

I think Rory gets it done this time. He proved that he could bounce back from the 4th round last year by dominating the U.S. Open. He has the game for Augusta and is still looking for a little redemption.

I'm in a yahoo fantasy golf league where we pick 2 "A" players, 4 "B" players, and 2 "C" players. My roster right now:

A:

Mickelson - playing well this year and plays Augusta well.

Luke Donald - I honestly think that the "A" list is the weakest. Luke Donald is one of my favorite players, but I don't really think he has the game to win the Masters (as opposed to the Open or the U.S. Open). I'm hoping he can improve a little on last year's 4th place finish.

B:

Tiger - funny seeing him in the B list.

Rory - ditto

Westwood - ditto

Justin Rose - plenty of Augusta experience and with a recent win, riding a high.

C:

Fred Couples - If Fred is available, I'm picking him. He'll have 2 good rounds.

Angel Cabrera - Just can't bet against him at the Masters. You can't really put him on any trend. He's up and down with everything else, but plays well at Augusta...still a few years younger than Jack was in '86.

Dang. B is stacked.

I am in a fantasy Masters draft tomorrow night. Serpentine draft just like fantasy football/hockey/etc. We draft 4 golfers and we need at least two to make the cut to have a chance to win. Lowest combined score wins the pot. I wont know my pick til right before we start. I am guessing the top 3 overal picks will be some combo of McIlroy, Woods, and Mickelson...

In my league, we simply pick six guys each week, with the limitation being that you can only pick a player eight times throughout the season. Phil, Tiger, and Rory are the three obvious picks, this week. Phil and Tiger have both won the green jacket multiple times, obviously, and are playing just well enough that I can't not pick either one. And, how can you pick against Rory... He's pretty much top-five in anything he plays this year. Even with Tiger's win last week, I still think Rory is more likely to win multiple majors this year, if I had to pick between the two.

As for my other three picks, I probably won't officially decide until Wednesday night. A few possibilities, off the top of my head... Westwood, Rose, Adam Scott, as well as handful of young Americans coming to mind (Mahan, Dustin Johnson, Watney, Snedeker, Watson). Mahan is probably the favorite of that bunch, not only because he's won twice this year, but also because his putting has been lights out recently. I agree that Augusta isn't the perfect fit for Donald's game... I wouldn't exactly be shocked if he won, but he's more likely to win one of the others.

That's what makes the Masters so great to watch, yet hard to pick... I just named close to a dozen guys, and didn't even mention Cabrera, Kaymer, Furyk, Choi, Bradley, Schwartzel, Day, Simpson, Kuchar, Garcia, Stricker, McDowell, Ogilvy, etc. What a great field... The "Who's Who" of golf, because anybody who can play in it, does. Hard to believe Els isn't going to be there.

After posting, I looked up the odds:

Tiger 7/2

Rory 5/1

Phil 8/1

Surprisingly, Donald is 4th at 15/1. If I had to pick a long shot (150/1), I'd take Henrik Stenson... He's won on big stages before (WGC Match Play and The Players), has played decent at the Masters before (finished 17th in '07 and '08), and is playing well lately (four straight top-25 finishes this year). If I had to find an even bigger long shot, I'd take Stewart Cink at 250/1. Again, he's won a major, and although he hasn't played great lately, he's played well at Augusta before, with multiple top-ten finishes in the past decade. I don't think you'll find a better value, in terms of a flier at 250/1.

I like Jason Day. The weather will keep the greens soft (less roll) so there will be a younger guy in contention. I am in a draft/auction at my club tonight. We pull the top ten out and then draft (13 team draft) and then auction back the top ten to get the pot big. Whoever has the tourney winner wins the pot. I have a list of about 10 that are not top ten that I want. Guys like Tiger and Phil will auction for $2,000+ apiece...so I prob won't spend to get any of them.

I was at Monday's practice round and Tiger still had a limp. Angel Cabrera hit the farthest drive I have ever seen. Geoff Ogilive was sticking all his irons close. KJ Choi has a very very good short game.

OK, instead of drafting they had threesomes already made and 13 teams blind drew for those. The team with the Masters winner wins the pot.

I drew keegan bradley, sergio garcia and jason dufner.

then I paid $500 for Rory McIlroy and $800 for the Field ( I later sold half of the field). $8200 pot with $500 for best round of the day each day, leaving $6200 for the winner.

Tiger went for $1,000, Bubba $700 and Phil for $600.

I despise Tiger, but I'm looking forward to this Masters even more than usual because I know it will be interesting if he's playing well. I don't think he'll win, but he'll finish in the top 5.

The bolded is why I gave up on hating Tiger long ago (on the golf course anyway). When he's on, and especially at Augusta, there's nothing close to as exciting in golf.

BTW, anyone want to guess how much just the practice round tickets went for on eBay? I'm kicking myself that I didn't sign up for tix when my dad did. He just bought a golf cart with what he got for his.

The bolded is why I gave up on hating Tiger long ago (on the golf course anyway). When he's on, and especially at Augusta, there's nothing close to as exciting in golf.

BTW, anyone want to guess how much just the practice round tickets went for on eBay? I'm kicking myself that I didn't sign up for tix when my dad did. He just bought a golf cart with what he got for his.

What day did he have? and how much did he get?

Edited by Scooby's Hubby