[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

2011 NHL Playoff Thread

Menudo

It clearly wasn't a hit from behind, and it clearly was a late hit. Had Horton been in possession of the puck at the time, it would have been a clear case of being "caught in the trolley tracks". A big part of it is him not keeping his head up as well. Anyone remember the hit Stevens put on Lindros? It was a pretty clean hit, maybe a little high, that took Lindros out of the playoffs with a concussion - and he was prone to them even back then. However it was similar in that he had his head down going through center ice, and you CANNOT do that. Both players failed to take responsibility for themselves leading up to the hit. Horton kept his head down, and Rome moved in to hit a player who clearly was nowhere near the puck.

That being said, I still think if you get rid of the instigator penalty, a majority of the cheap shots go away. This quote from the article on sportsline really got me though.

"We disagree with the decision, and it was a clean hit," Vancouver captain Henrik Sedin said. "Talking to Aaron was extremely emotional. When you get to this point in the playoffs, you want to be a part of it on the ice, and Romer didn't deserve what he got."

Yeah, neither did Horton. OK Henrik. Remember that when someone runs you at center ice. Best keep your head up son, because you're one mistake away from being in the exact same situation. A late, clean hit can be just as damaging as a blindside hit or a boarding. Even better, suppose Daniel Sedin gets taken out on a clean hit even if it's a blatant interference hit. Hey, it's clean, just a couple seconds late and when he's not expecting hit. No biggie right?

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It clearly wasn't a hit from behind, and it clearly was a late hit. Had Horton been in possession of the puck at the time, it would have been a clear case of being "caught in the trolley tracks". A big part of it is him not keeping his head up as well. Anyone remember the hit Stevens put on Lindros? It was a pretty clean hit, maybe a little high, that took Lindros out of the playoffs with a concussion - and he was prone to them even back then. However it was similar in that he had his head down going through center ice, and you CANNOT do that. Both players failed to take responsibility for themselves leading up to the hit. Horton kept his head down, and Rome moved in to hit a player who clearly was nowhere near the puck.

That being said, I still think if you get rid of the instigator penalty, a majority of the cheap shots go away. This quote from the article on sportsline really got me though.

Yeah, neither did Horton. OK Henrik. Remember that when someone runs you at center ice. Best keep your head up son, because you're one mistake away from being in the exact same situation. A late, clean hit can be just as damaging as a blindside hit or a boarding. Even better, suppose Daniel Sedin gets taken out on a clean hit even if it's a blatant interference hit. Hey, it's clean, just a couple seconds late and when he's not expecting hit. No biggie right?

A blatant interference hit is not a clean hit. The fact that its blatant interference removes the clean tag from the hit. The shoulder pad is as hard as an elbow. I am by no means trying to pussify the sport, but every time they ban something the players come up with a new way to practically kill someone, and that new weapon is the shoulder pad. No high sticking, ok, we'll use elbows. No elbows, ok, we'll start boarding guys. No boarding, ok, let's clean someone's clock with a solid, unassuming shoulder pad right to the jaw.

Gotta take the head shots out, all of them in all circumstances, otherwise you'll be dealing with guys lying on the ice with drool coming out of the side of their mouths in the future again.

Edited by Hugh 0ne

Blindside hits to the head will no longer be tolerated in the NHL.

League disciplinarian Colin Campbell has been given the power to hand out supplemental discipline for hits on unsuspecting players where the primary point of contact is the head.

this quote was taken from a story on nhl.com , would that not describe exactly what happened in this case an unsuspecting player in horton passes the puck and out of know where he gets blasted in the head .

4 games is not nearly enough, and to have the canucks cirlce the wagons and support rome and say 4 games is way to many is also wrong.

The NHL cant help themselves, missed opportunity , time and time again.

It comes down to Wednesday night for the Cup. Should be outstanding. :wacko:

The Canucks have to start Luongo. As bad as he's been in Boston, he's been saving the team's arse in home games this series. I wouldn't even think twice about starting him in game 7.

Boston has to find a way to get into his head early. If they can get one by in the first, that would help, but if they can get 2 by him fairly early, that could be the end of his home ice mojo. Should be a great game though, looking forward to it. :tup:

It comes down to Wednesday night for the Cup. Should be outstanding. :wacko:

The Canucks have to start Luongo. As bad as he's been in Boston, he's been saving the team's arse in home games this series. I wouldn't even think twice about starting him in game 7.

Boston has to find a way to get into his head early. If they can get one by in the first, that would help, but if they can get 2 by him fairly early, that could be the end of his home ice mojo. Should be a great game though, looking forward to it. :tup:

Yep. And I think yanking him 8 minutes in to the game after 3 goals was a mistake last night. You don't yank that guy after 3 goals, ever. I think that mistake might cost them game 7. At least I hope so.

Bruins have all the momentum, all the pressure is on Vancouver, and as you mention, if the Bruins can somehow jump on Luongo early, they will most likely be hoisting Lord Stanley's Cup in Beantown.

Listen, the last 4 games, Boston has outscored Vancouver 17-4, and only lost 1-0 on the road, they were in that game, have taken over the series, and have a legitimate chance to bring this thing home and we will all hear a collective moan (or possible whine) from the entire nation of Canada. :lol:

It's a great day for a game 7!!!! Go Bruins!

I'm trying to avoid the temptation to bet my house on this game. I think the Bruins are going to get it. Gritty beats pretty in the finals almost every time.

Stanley Cup finals , Game 7 . GO Bruins.

Daniel Sedin tells the vancouver media "we will win game 7". Sorry Daniel , only a player like Mark Messier can call a shot like that and have the skill and stones to make it happen .

Agreed.

Unless Danny boy was talking about game #7 in the 2011-2012 season.

Whatta game. I'm nauseous. I'm pacing. :tup:

That hit on Chara at mid ice was a travesty. A head shot from behind and no call. Glad to see them letting them play but jeez.

20 minutes to go. :wacko:

How about that Marchand? Such a rat...but he's our rat. And a rookie, to boot.

Whatta game. I'm nauseous. I'm pacing. :tup:

That hit on Chara at mid ice was a travesty. A head shot from behind and no call. Glad to see them letting them play but jeez.

20 minutes to go. :wacko:

How about that Marchand? Such a rat...but he's our rat. And a rookie, to boot.

I'm cheering for the Bruins but the Chara hit was incidental contact, far from a travesty. As for Marchand, that little f*cker can play.

I'm cheering for the Bruins but the Chara hit was incidental contact, far from a travesty. As for Marchand, that little f*cker can play.

Looked like Incidental contact and still probably worthy of a penalty....in another game. Not in this game. Keep the ticky-tack penalties out o it.

Well, I didn't bet the house. :wacko: I bet a little, but far short of a house. Congrats Bruins fans!

Congrats to the Bruins. On a side congrats to Thomas Kaberle, ex leaf who took crap for years in TO finally leaves and get a cup.

The good folks of Van City are already "celebrating" reports of "celebrating" out side the rink , car or cars set on fire. Littering the Ice with crap , yes the booed Gary, but show some f'ing class .

Congrats to the Bruins, great playoffs! :tup:

Also, what a fitting end to a great career for Mark Recchi. One of my favorite players. Tim Thomas had a tremendous bounce back season after struggling last year with injuries and the like. And also a great job by Boston overcoming the loss of Marc Savard early in the season. David Krejci really stepped up this year. Their D was solid all around as well.

As for the classless rioters in Vancouver. I don't get it. What the hell is wrong with people nowadays? This happens far too often in too many places now. Hopefully they can identify some of these jackholes and get them to repay the damages - being it working on repairs/cleanup or monetary. I really hate people sometimes. :wacko:

Nice guarantee by Daniel Sedin for game 7 as well. A minus 4 on the night. You sir, are no Mark Messier. You aren't even the equipment guy who sharpened his skates.

Now it's the long wait until October to start this whole thing up again.

now is the busy season , i like this part of the year. the draft is 10 days away, the window for buyouts starts tomorrow night, some players with limited not trade clauses are open to be dealt for the next two weeks, and teams like the flyers and some others that need to clear cap space to go after the free agents , are going to be dealing.

now is the busy season , i like this part of the year. the draft is 10 days away, the window for buyouts starts tomorrow night, some players with limited not trade clauses are open to be dealt for the next two weeks, and teams like the flyers and some others that need to clear cap space to go after the free agents , are going to be dealing.

And one thing I'm hoping to hear before the draft is this: The Minnesota Wild will now introduce their new head coach - Craig MacTavish.