[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

2011 NHL Playoff Thread

Menudo

MacT is sitting down with the yet to be named Winnipeg jets , and according to TSN he is the front runner he is against a couple of assistant coaches .

He had a second interview with the Wild and I thought he'd be the frontrunner here, I figured WInnipeg had some other guys they were targeting. If he goes there, then great for them - they'll be getting a quality coach and once again the WIld front office will have dropped the ball on a very important part of the team.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Craig Ramsey , the still on the payroll coach of the Jets/thrashers is also being re interviewed for the job, plus the canucks farm team head coach , and another assistant from the blackhawks. If the decision process to name a coach is being conducted like the process to name the team , by september they might name a coach.

He had a second interview with the Wild and I thought he'd be the frontrunner here, I figured WInnipeg had some other guys they were targeting. If he goes there, then great for them - they'll be getting a quality coach and once again the WIld front office will have dropped the ball on a very important part of the team.

Given they canned Richards right after the reg season ended and havent hired anyone yet(with the draft rapidly approaching), I guess I figured they were targeting a coach whose team was still playing at some level. If MacT was their guy, I would have thought they would have pulled the trigger by now. Of course, who knows what sort of arrangements or discussions have taken place that are not public knowlege :wacko:

I still think the main problem with that team is the overabundance of underachievers with no marbles who play peewee style hockey most nights followed closely by the lack of anything resembling a true goal scorer. They have a few nice players but no legit snipers nor any players who will stand up and say "Not on our rink" and then go out and follow through. Minnesota Mild :tup:

Congrats to the Bruins for a hell of a run and thanks for putting those punks from BC in their place :lol: Last night was a perfect example of why I call the Nucks d-bags with d-bag fans.

looks like minny is promoting from within, TSN reporting the wild will name Mike Yeo as the new head coach tomorrow. TSN gives him credit for turning the penguins around during his 4 years there. but having malkin,crosby,stall, fleury,recchi,gonchar and others on those teams would make any coach look great.

appears he and chuck fletcher are buds from pittsburgh days.

looks like minny is promoting from within, TSN reporting the wild will name Mike Yeo as the new head coach tomorrow. TSN gives him credit for turning the penguins around during his 4 years there. but having malkin,crosby,stall, fleury,recchi,gonchar and others on those teams would make any coach look great.

As a HUGH Penguins fan, I can assure you that Mike Yeo was a terrific assistant coach for the Penguins. Class guy, will hate to see him go. If he can handle being a head coach remains to be seen, but I think it's a solid move by the Wild.

As a HUGH Penguins fan, I can assure you that Mike Yeo was a terrific assistant coach for the Penguins. Class guy, will hate to see him go. If he can handle being a head coach remains to be seen, but I think it's a solid move by the Wild.

My first reaction to this is FRAK YOU!!!!! to the Wild organization. Nothing against Yeo, he took our minor league affiliiate the Aeros to the Calder Cup finals this year where they lost in 6, and has done a very good job with that team. However, this is just - in my opinion - another sign of trying to get by on the cheap, and I put this all on the head of the owner Leipold. We tried this route 2 years ago with Richards - a top assistant who got a shot with the Wild, and when he couldn't win with the abundance of mediocre and sub-par talent we have on this team he was shown the door. How on earth is Yeo going to do any better? If the Wild are going to continue to be a team of role players and very little top talent, you need a coach who can bring in a system to make the most of that - ala Lemaire. I thought MacTavish would have fit that role perfectly. So help me, if this team continues to crap the bed in it's draft picks and continues to show nothing in terms of improvement of the on-ice product, the fans will start leaving in droves. Watching an NHL team without even one legit scoring line is absolutely miserable.

Before it was Riseborough who made horrible personnel decisions. That left us with the dearth of role players and underachievers. Now we're looking for the next "big thing" in coaches to turn this sorry sack of Bad News Bears around. MacTavish would have at least brought a sense of hope and optimism to fans of this team. Hiring our guy from Houston hardly does that. I have the sinking feeling this team is going to be even more unbearable to watch this season. :wacko:

At least we're not the Islanders.................yet.

I honestly dont know enough about Yeo to get excited nor disappointed about his hiring. Sounds like he did a solid job in Pit and has a good relationship with Fletcher. So it makes sense from that standpoint. And it would seem he is able to coach up the players in Houston a little bit which is a good sign as he's likely to be coaching some of those same players again. That said, he is faced with the same challenges Richards was which is a talent-deficient team under a tremendous amount of pressure to be a playoff team now while really needing a pretty serious rebuild. As I mentioned earlier (and SN echoed), that team needs scoring in a major way and needs to get out from under the weight of some of the bad contracts it has players signed to (thanks mainly to Riseborough). They spend nearly to the cap, but get little ROI from many of the players. Almost every year, they are bad enough to miss the playoffs but just good enough to make sure they draft upwards of 9,10, etc and seem to miss out on the studs. They really need something to change to break the cycle of mediocrity they are stuck in. They really need many of the prospects they have drafted the last couple years to pan out in a HUGH way. They have completely whiffed on and/or squandered far too many draft picks over the years and it is killing them. :wacko:

I was pleased to see Boston win, not only because they are Original Six, but I have grown some distaste for Vancouver the last few years.

Kessler is a guy I would want on a line with Toews and Kane, and they have other great talent...just don't like the organization.

The NHL needs the Leafs or the Habs to make a run in the next few years.