[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NBA Playoffs

Gopher

i like dirk. think he's gotten a bad rap over the years. glad to see him excel the way he is this year. given a choice of bird or dirk. bird hands down. dirk is a more potent scorer, but bird had everything else. bird could score 8-10 and still have a major impact on the game (and his team winning). bird could steal, pass, play tough d and manage the game. that is not going to happen when dirk doesn't score.....and this is not attributed to their surrounding casts, rather the type of players they are/were.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the record I do not care if Dirk is better, as good as, or wont ever be as good as Bird. I just hope Dirk gets 4 more W's this postseason and brings the Championship to Dallas. Dirk deserves it, and the city was so close last yr with the Rangers.

For the record I do not care if Dirk is better, as good as, or wont ever be as good as Bird. I just hope Dirk gets 4 more W's this postseason and brings the Championship to Dallas. Dirk deserves it, and the city was so close last yr with the Rangers.

cool. enjoy the moment. pulling for dallas myself. would have been nice to see him spend a career with nash or kidd to see where both would land

Not a big Mavs fan, but do like Dirk and was a HUGH Laker fan back in the Showtime Era.

Psst, Bird averaged 9.4 rpg and Dirk is currently at 8.4 rpg. :wacko:

Bird was an excellent help defender as is Dirk. Bird was a better one-on-one defender and stealer of the basketball. That said, Dirk is a better shot-blocker. Now, I won't disagree that as a whole, Bird is a better defensive player.

Dirk's a shoo-in for the HOF right now, hands-down.

The Bird/Dirk comparisons, though, are silly. As discussed on the radio and even here, it's a different era. You just can't do it. And I'll say it again, the Carlisle sound bite was him comparing their WORK ETHIC... not them as players.

what you missed is that Bird is competing against Robert Parrish AND Kevin McHale for those rebounds, Dirk is the 7 footer for Dallas and is only averaging 8 boards per game. If Parrish or McHale is not around Bird averages 13 boards per game. LoLuck.

Edited by Scooby's Hubby

what you missed is that Bird is competing against Robert Parrish AND Kevin McHale for those rebounds, Dirk is the 7 footer for Dallas and is only averaging 8 boards per game. If Parrish or McHale is not around Bird averages 13 boards per game. LoLuck.

Sorry bud but that argument is flawed. Dirk being a 7-footer means nothing. He's a perimeter big, just like Bird was. And saying "if players x and y weren't there, then player-x would do so-and-so" is pure speculation.

I mean, if you want to make that argument, why is Shawn Marion only averaging 6-7rpg with the Mavs? He's a career 8+ rpg guy. Is he losing boards 'cuz of Dirk? :tup:

Or how 'bout this? If Marion, Kidd (a high rpg PG) and Chandler weren't there, Dirk would average 13 rpg. :wacko:

Oh, and I gotta ask... what the heck is LoLuck? :lol:

Bird 10 RBG career avg 6'9", Parrish is a career 10 RBP center and 7 footer, McHale 6'10" avg 9 RBP

stats are here http://www.nba.com/celtics/history/Stats_AllTime_B.html

Dirk is averaging 7.5 RPG this playoffs 7 feet, Chandler 9.3 RPG this playoffs 7'1", Marion 6.3 RPG this playoffs 6'7"

http://www.nba.com/mavericks/stats/

Bird is not a 7 footer but rebounds like one. Dirk is a 7 footer but is outrebounded by his contemporaries, Chandler does so in less minutes. Simply put, Bird is a better rebounder than Dirk, especially if you consider his size versus all the other rebounders for thier particular era. Sure, there is some speculation there b/c of coaching styles etc., but I think most would agree that Bird was an exceptional rebounder as a "perimeter" player whereas Dirk's rebounding is unexcedptional and his weak link ( I do think he is improving his defense every year). My point about Parrish and McHale is that seeing Bird's career average with those two at the center and power forward, I just don't see Dirk getting more boards if he had those two playing on his team :wacko: but it is speculation. :tup: and Bird would have more RPG if he played next too Marion and Chandler than Dirk does now.

The LoLuck is not to be confused with LoLaughs, which is what LoL is, so Scooby says. In places like yahoo card rooms LoL means Luck and is used to express a friendly tone, like the smiley face :lol:

Now let's go root for the Mavs, it is gonna be a tough series. LeBron could get on some crazy roll. I have until tuesday to try and figure out how Miami stops Jet and J.J. Unlike Chicago where Miami was able to double team Rose, Miami will have their hands full with several players on the floor at any time. Unfortunately, so will Dallas. GO MAVS!

Edited by Scooby's Hubby

Height has little to do with rebounding prowess. Charles Barkley averaged nearly 12 rpg for his career and is lucky if he's 6'5".

Bird averaged 9.4 rpg in his career, not 10.

We'll have to agree to disagree. Bird was a good rebounder considering he played a good bit on the perimeter with Parish and McHale typically plugging up the middle, but let's not merely shake a stick at Nowitzki's 8.4 rpg (yes, that's ONE less per game than Bird) career average.

I think LOL means laugh out loud, but okie dokie. :wacko:

Height has little to do with rebounding prowess. Charles Barkley averaged nearly 12 rpg for his career and is lucky if he's 6'5".

Bird averaged 9.4 rpg in his career, not 10.

We'll have to agree to disagree. Bird was a good rebounder considering he played a good bit on the perimeter with Parish and McHale typically plugging up the middle, but let's not merely shake a stick at Nowitzki's 8.4 rpg (yes, that's ONE less per game than Bird) career average.

I think LOL means laugh out loud, but okie dokie. :wacko:

Bird played 897 games and had 8974 Total rebounds, that is almost 10 RPG exactly, and as I said LoL is laugh out loud or lots of laughs which is why I spell out 'Luck"

All I am saying is Bird has the edge over Nowitzki because of a smidge on rebounding and a smidge on defense with the steals lead plus Bird is a much better passer. Both are 90%+ FT shooters and have unstoppable fade aways and are team leaders.

Edited by Scooby's Hubby

Bird played 897 games and had 8974 Total rebounds, that is almost 10 RPG exactly, and as I said LoL is laugh out loud or lots of laughs which is why I spell out 'Luck"

All I am saying is Bird has the edge over Nowitzki because of a smidge on rebounding and a smidge on defense with the steals lead plus Bird is a much better passer. Both are 90%+ FT shooters and have unstoppable fade aways and are team leaders.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/birdla01.html

:wacko: I was looking at the wrong chart.

Well, I really cannot wait til the first game Tuesday. This should be a nail-biting series. :wacko: I am hoping that Bosh can be contained and that our guards keep Wade and Bibby busy. Marion on James will be good and if Chandler is on Bosh then Dirk can sag a little and help Chandler out in the middle/under the rim. Our bench could get hot with 3's and Terry specifically could be the bench player to wear Wade out.

The difference in the series will be defense. Miami wins in 6 because of their ability to wear teams down with their defense. The heat will rotate Bosh and James on Dirk and neutralize his effectiveness. I'll be cheering for the Mavs but I don't see them winning. Another disadvantage for Dallas is the 2-3-2 rotation. They better get a win in Miami early because there's no way they sweep Miami at home.

The difference in the series will be defense. Miami wins in 6 because of their ability to wear teams down with their defense. The heat will rotate Bosh and James on Dirk and neutralize his effectiveness. I'll be cheering for the Mavs but I don't see them winning. Another disadvantage for Dallas is the 2-3-2 rotation. They better get a win in Miami early because there's no way they sweep Miami at home.

As a Mavs fan, I am worried. Bibby, when with the KIngs and Wade have both beaten Dallas in big playoff games. However, I like the guards for Dallas with Terry, JJ and Peja (perimeter forward) off the bench. Inside outside game of Dallas will result in open 3's. Dallas is better free throw shooting team and their defense can step up. I like this one to go 7.

Edited by Scooby's Hubby

As a Mavs fan, I am worried. Bibby, when with the KIngs and Wade have both beaten Dallas in big playoff games. However, I like the guards for Dallas with Terry, JJ and Peja (perimeter forward) off the bench. Inside outside game of Dallas will result in open 3's. Dallas is better free throw shooting team and their defense can step up. I like this one to go 7.

I think it goes 7 too, and a mention on SportsCenter made a lot of sense: the Heat have been horrible about letting teams "hang around" 'til the end, and the Mavs have been killer at coming back and snatching wins away. If the Heat don't have a killer instinct, the Mavs may steal a game or two.

Oh, and the 2-3-2 format is absolutely horrible.

Looking forward to heading over to the Brick House Tavern & Tap for the game Tuesday night. Basically a Hooters, but the girls aren't as ditzy, more tatted up (no piercings/tats allowed at Hooters) and it's kind of set up as a man-cave. All tables have couches on either side, fireplaces and lots of brick... and of course an ass-ton of flat screens. Excellent food too. I think they have some in Houston and the midwest?