[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Texas Roadhouse?

BigMikeinNY

i am closer to this point of view, but not entirely. while i am not a steakhouse guy, i have had good experiences in them. generally speaking i am a live and let live type of person. i do however believe most people who hold steakhouses as a pinnacle of dining have limited themselves to it. there are so many superior food experiences out there. so long as someone exposes themself to the other expriences and comes to the conclussion that there is nothing better on the planet than a steakhosue steak, so be it.

I can see the merit in both perspectives. It is all about personal preferences. We had a restaurant here in ATL, Seeger's, Owned by one Gunter Seeger, the food was phenominal, the experience well choreographed and the menu delectable. The flavors, textures and aromas were something that no steakhouse can compare to. It was eight courses of unbelievable food.

We have a steak house here, Bone's. The ambiance is true steak house, the food is delicious, the aromas amazing and the service impeccable. It is one of my favorite places to eat.

If you called me up tomorrow and asked whether I would rather go to Bone's or Seeger's, it would all depend on what I had for lunch that day and dinner the night before.

The execution and food at both places is great, it all depends on my mood. To me, food is one of those things that is such a variable, it has to be applied at the right time.

So you can get an idea of what Seeger's was like, I pulled this up:

The stunning English pea soup served with mint and jumbo lump crabmeat is like spring in your mouth. Gorgeous, fresh silvery sardines are paired with a bracing pink pepper and onion broth. Quail is served with smoky Serrano ham and a parsnip crepe. A poached scallop slicked with “horseradish snow” is perhaps the tiniest bit bland, but the glazed beet sauce provides punch. Velvety bittersweet chocolate tart, coffee crème brulee and vanilla sorbet are stellar. Herbaceous tarragon truffles are the meal’s memorable finale.

Edited by SEC=UGA

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the record, I love a perfectly cooked steak and I have enjoyed myself at better steak houses. I don't think there's anything wrong with them being your favorite place to eat. Dining out is dining out.

If I have an issue with any steakhouses, it's the chains that aren't really all that special. Take Sullivan's, the sides and apps are freaking boring as hell and not even that nice. You go to those places where everything is a la carte, order some mushrooms and get a bunch of button mushrooms cooked down to tiny bits in a garlic that was pureed yesterday. $8. You don't have to have a guy foraging for you to mix in some cooler shrooms.

There is an art in a great steakhouse and I recognize they exist. And, considering it's pretty hard for 2 people to get out of a place like Sullivan's for less than $100, I'd prefer to drop $150 or more and get the full boat at some place that's iconic. As opposed to mulling over some hack wine list of usual suspects and deciding between boiled broccoli or average onion rings for my $8 side.

My point, all along, is simply this. SEC, there's no freaking way you can reproduce the food at Seegers in your home. Hell, even if you were a chef, unless your kitchen is pimp as hell, you'd have a hard time. You can't even come close and even if you did, you'd have to spend 8 hours making your kitchen a bloody mess and buying so many random ingredients that it would still cost you a fortune. On the other hand, say you wanted to treat your lady right and give her the steakhouse experience at home for your anniversay. You could google creamed spinach and some cool potato side, go to a good butcher and get some great steaks. Either buy some cooked and peeled shrimp or do it yourself pretty easily, and buy a bottle of cocktail sauce. Buy some good ice cream and fresh fruit for dessert. Set the table and grill up the steaks. You could have the entire thing done and candles lit in 1 1/2 hours tops from the moment you walked in the door. And you've barely made a mess at all. And that's if you want to do it pimp.

You're not even done peeling the freaking fava beans after an hour and a half if you're trying to do the Seegers trip.

That's really it.

Edited by detlef

My point, all along, is simply this. SEC, there's no freaking way you can reproduce the food at Seegers in your home.

I've got mad skills brother... MAD!!!!!!!

You wanna trade for a shredded Mexican Chicken recipe?

It's not super hard...

Pork Loin Roast

Can Enchilada sauce (you could make it from scratch if you were ambitious...ask Bier or Det for that)

Lime Juice

chopped yellow onion

chopped garlic

chopped serrano pepper

chili powder

ground cumin

oregano

ground black pepper

ground white pepper

If it's not hot enough for you, Cayenne pepper.

I don't go by a list of proportions....I just add what looks right to me. I usually start with one lime and add if I feel it needs more. I might add some sauce (or even some salsa) if I want more liquid and don't want to add water to cut the flavor. I am not shy at all about the garlic or the serrano pepper.

The hardest part of cooking Mexican is you have to catch them first. You know how much easier it is to catch a cow? They barely move. Of course, neither does a Mexican when he's not sheetrocking.

You are one funny motherfu[/bcker.

Texas Roadhouse is typically better than Outback and in the same price range. I really don't like going to to steakhouse like those, for the reasons others have mentioned. The cuts they get are the same cuts you can get in damn near any grocery store in any town across the country. I do like going to a nice steakhouse like Morton's, Ruth's Chris, or III Forks a three or four times a year simply because not only do I like their steaks, but I really like their sides and desserts, which I doubt I could do as well, and would take a long time to make. Additionally up until about a year ago we didn't have access to the same quality of beef that the nicer places have. Now that we do have access to the better beef, we probably have cut out one or two trips to the nicer steakhouses a year. Still, come time for an anniversary, birthday, or valentines day (which we refuse to celebrate on valentine's day) we are going to go to a nice steakhouse. We still go to the lesser steakhouses like Outback or Roadhouse a few times a year, but that is normally because someone has given us a gift card, or because some friends want to eat there.

good green beans...my kids love the place. I always order the sirloin medium rare+. good place to go if you do not feel like cooking.

but I am like Detlef, though, I prefer my own. PLUS, I buy only choice grade beef or better, no select here. Albertson's grocery has choice for the same price as everyone's select.

Edited by Scooby's Hubby

• 2 months later...
Hey, do any of you know if they serve steaks at Olive Garden?

TIA

probably after they defrost them

and don't get the spaghetti at the Roadhouse either :lol:

Which reminds me of a funny story.

We met up to play poker one night and one guy is saying how they just ate at Texas Roadhouse (maybe Longhorn, either way...) And he says he didn't like it much. Being in PA (and not near Philly) steak places are pretty average anyway so we say oh its usually not bad what did you order.

Well, I had the salmon :wacko:

And my other friend who goes to this "hole in the wall" Italian place that is excellent and he tells me that it sucked. Guess what he had? The steak :tup:

Edited by Zooty