[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Question for you veteran foreign beer drinkers...

Puddy

Once I left the macro beer scene I've almost exclusively grown up on American craft beers (outside of some seasonals and some time spent in Amsterdam when I drank some good Belgian beer). While I realize there is rich history in foreign beer (especially European), it is my observation that the proliferation of the American microbrew scene over the last decade has provided us such a variety of styles. There is so much creativity in American beers nowadays. It doesn't appear that the same phenomenon is going on world wide. Does this mean that the U.S. is THE place for the best beer? Or do the foreign brews still rule the roost?

Once I left the macro beer scene I've almost exclusively grown up on American craft beers (outside of some seasonals and some time spent in Amsterdam when I drank some good Belgian beer). While I realize there is rich history in foreign beer (especially European), it is my observation that the proliferation of the American microbrew scene over the last decade has provided us such a variety of styles. There is so much creativity in American beers nowadays. It doesn't appear that the same phenomenon is going on world wide. Does this mean that the U.S. is THE place for the best beer? Or do the foreign brews still rule the roost?

i think it depends on what you are looking for. a lot of european bier is pretty traditional (a lot of variety exists, but is established). much more experimentation in the US (though imo over- hopped and not as balanced). bier is very subjective. my cycle started with the consistancy of the germans, then i started adoring the complexity of the belgian's use of ambient yeast strains. if you ask an average american and european, i think you get different answers.

Personally, I think the the American beer scene has gone too far, with too much experimentation and not enough consistency of style for me to really enjoy. Personally I want to pick up a beer and and know exactly what I am going to get and with the proliferation of American micros I find that a bit of a challenge, even with the same beer from year to year. On the other hand, every time I grab a Euro beer, it is exactly the same. If I need a place to experiment I can always go play in the Belgian arena.

So to answer your question, I really believe that it depends on what you are looking for.

There is a lot experimentation going on in Europe as well, just look at Brew Dog or Mikkeller. We, and the Europeans, have the problem that it is generally much more difficult to find the imported micro's than the imported macrobrews.

:wacko:

Give me an American beer pretty much every time. I'll drink something brewed over seas occasionally, but there is plenty here to drink, and plenty that has good consistency. You can really get beer of almost all levels here. From the lowly Busch Light all the way up to Three Floyds Dark Lord Russian Imperial Stout, and everything in between.

Examples:

I'll drink Left Hand Milk Stout over Guinness almost any day.

Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA is tip top for a small brewery, and Harpoon IPA is good an consistent if you want something a little toned down.

Sam Adams Boston Ale is consistently good stuff.

Magic Hat #9 is a great, lighter, refreshing beer.

Rogue Mocha Porter is great stuff, and it's been around a long time.

Anchor Steam Beer is quality stuff that has a consistent taste

There are tons more. I have local breweries who's stuff I like to try, and I spend a fair amount of time just trying new beers, but I always keep some of these bottles on hand.

Edited by Caveman_Nick

For starters, it should be noted that there are some European brewers who are following the American's lead. Guys like Mikkeller and BrewDog are making American-styled beers.

I drink almost exclusively American beers but that has a lot to do with the fact that I see them as beer making versions of myself. I am an American craftsman who works with food. These guys make beer. But if you scratch a layer or two off, we're doing the same thing. As a result, the beer list at Dos Perros is almost exclusively North American. I mean, why not support an American craftsman? At each of our beer dinners, I give a little speech. About how there are certain breweries who are selling "Americana" but that I prefer the version that involves men and woman pushing all their chips into the middle of the table and making something with their hands, rather than trying to pull one over on people by making something as cheap and non-descript as they can and using chicks in bikinis and football to make their fake product seem better than it is.

It also comes down to the fact that I've spent all but the last few years primarily devoted to wine rather than beer. And by the time I totally dove into beer, I was inundated with top-notch American options. So I sort of never got around to diving into the Euros as much as I would need to in order to appreciate them to the same level. I do love me some Belgians, though.

And, as much as I fear this pigeon-holes me, I love me some hops. Not because I'm a fan of the bitterness, but because I love the aromatics associated with them. In fact, the bitterness is sort of a necessary evil for the abundant beauty of the citrus and piny goodness that comes off the front. And that is very much an American thing.

Does depend on what your looking for. Hop fowarded beers certainly started in Europe, hence IPA's. American brewers took all styles to new levels is all. Sometimes to their detriment for sure. American brewers are winning many a gold medal all around the world including Europe(much to their chagrin) and now many a European breweries are following suit or simply buying the American Brewery. We have taken the art forward, because our standards were so limited to choose from. We definately have the world taking notice to our skills and tastes for sure.

There are so many options here it is mind boggling, yet if I could drink, let alone afford Westy 12 on a day to day basis, it would be hard not to.

Edit to add: before Prohibition, America was nothing but craft brewers, mostly ales. Well over 3,000 breweries! After Prohibition, less than 50. Now, 1600+. Good time to get into American Craft Beers

Edited by Hugh B Tool

I love what's happened over the last couple decades on the american beer scene. but if I'm picking individual beers that are my favorites, europeans will dominate. lots of new and interesting experimentation and ideas is great....but there's something to be said for a craft honed and passed down over centuries as well.

I think the American brewers have still not equaled Europe for the following styles:

Belgian Wit, Dubbel or Triple

Czech or Northern German Pils

Marzen

English Bitters

Of the Belgian variety, I would say Unibrue, Allagash and Ommegang are close, but the yeast/malt is not the same (not that it needs to be).

None of the American Marzens can hold a candle to their Bavarian counterparts. The American ESBs all have too much hops or the wrong kinds to be called a bitter, imo.

I think the Americans have excelled at:

IPAs

Stouts & Barleywines

:cheers:

I think the American brewers have still not equaled Europe for the following styles:

Belgian Wit, Dubbel or Triple

Czech or Northern German Pils

Marzen

English Bitters

Of the Belgian variety, I would say Unibrue, Allagash and Ommegang are close, but the yeast/malt is not the same (not that it needs to be).

None of the American Marzens can hold a candle to their Bavarian counterparts. The American ESBs all have too much hops or the wrong kinds to be called a bitter, imo.

I think the Americans have excelled at:

IPAs

Stouts & Barleywines

:cheers:

As much as I wish it were not true, I do think you're spot on with the Belgian comment. Case in point, Ommegang just did a beer called Gnomegang partnering up with Basserie Chouffe (who is owned by the same company that owns Ommegang). It is, easily the best beer they've ever made, IMO. Also, we just did an Allagash dinner last night featuring, not only 5 pretty cool beers during the dinner, but then an 8 beer flight of their more exotic brews. After that, though, the guy from the brewery wanted to open something else and bought my last magnum of 2010 Big Chouffe. It was freaking perfect and, as good as the rest of the beers that night were, it was the best of the bunch.

I don't drink enough Marzen or classic English Bitters to speak on everything else you said.

I don't drink a lot of Belgian style beers or marzen. WRT ESB's, I like what Red Hook has to offer.

I guess I am mainly a stout and porter guy, with an occasional red ale, pale ale or IPA mixed in, and so I pretty much always go for the American beer.

If you have not tried them, the Belgian stouts are amazing. Completely different than the American varieties. Of the American stouts, I am a huge fan of the Deschutes Oblivion and Abyss, and the Great Divide Yeti.

For an ESB, the Fuller's ESB is an excellent beer. I think it loses something in the bottle, if you can find it fresh on tap it is delicious. Completely different hop/malt profile than the American versions.

If you have not tried them, the Belgian stouts are amazing. Completely different than the American varieties. Of the American stouts, I am a huge fan of the Deschutes Oblivion and Abyss, and the Great Divide Yeti.

For an ESB, the Fuller's ESB is an excellent beer. I think it loses something in the bottle, if you can find it fresh on tap it is delicious. Completely different hop/malt profile than the American versions.

I Have had a few Belgian stouts. Recently I have also had a few American versions of Belgian stouts. Serpent's Stout from the Lost Abbey brewery was not bad, but not something I will seek out. Tiny Belgian Stout was nice, and something I have restocked.

For other stouts, the Russian Imperials that I :heart: , Hopping Frog B.O.R.I.S. and D.O.R.I.S. are both really good stuff. I enjoy the Mayflower Imperial stout very much as well. Goose Island Bourbon Stout is phenomenal.

I have a bottle of the Deschutes Abyss...saving it along with my Surly Darkenss and my Three Floyds Dark Lord. I also have some Great Divide Yeti in the fridge that I have yet to sample.

There are several places that serve cask conditioned Fullers near me. It's good stuff.

Don't get me wrong, I am not turning my nose up at European beers. I an saying that American beers have a lot to offer, and I'd rather give my money to Americans.

Edited by Caveman_Nick

I think that if you wanted a variety of styles and had to pick from one country, America wins hands down. If you could count Europe as one country, it'd be a close fight, but I'd pick Europe because I think that if you had to pick the best beer for most styles, it comes from Europe 90% of the time. That being said, if I could only drink beers from one country for the rest of my life it would absolutely be Belgium.

While it is certainly true that the European brewers are very dedicated to their traditional styles, you're starting to see alot more experimentation there too. In fact I was at beer dinner recently with Hildegard from Urthel, who in her previous trips to America first tried the American IPA's that she admitted to initially hating with them being so different from their Belgian beers... But then like many of us hopheads she became obsessed, and went on to create what is now a hot new style, the Belgian IPA. There are also breweries such as DeProeff and others that are regularly collaborating with American brewers to create some very unique beers, so the relationship is no doubt becoming symbiotic...

However it's obvious that Belgians in particular have provided a huge influence for the new American Craft syles, including Abbey Ales (Heavy Seas makes a very good one), some Saisons and the newest craze that many are calling the new IPA's, Sours... New Belgium, as much as I'm not crazy about their other beers, does in fact have a brewer from Belgium who is making some really fantastic sours in their Lips of Faith series, in addition to one of my favorite styles that nearly everyone but Weinstephaner gets wrong, the Dunkelweiss.

Though I definitely agree with the above, particularly after Georgia's laws got changed and we saw a bombardment of high-gravity beers, that there are alot of beers are simply overdone with sometimes little regard to balance and appropriateness to a style... Fortunately you are seeing a digression to the mean rather than simply big and "creative" beers, and I'm happy to see many breweries perfecting and building on certain styles, rather than the pissing contests of who can come up with the craziest beer. There is a reason why the traditional styles have stood the test of time...

Edited by delusions of granduer