[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Why the Pirates

SLAYER

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they pick up B. Wood(all world bust for the last 5 yrs.) on waivers and promptly sit Alverez and start Wood. :wacko:

Wood was picked up three days ago. Alvarez is getting the day off against a lefty. By the way, Wood hit a 2 run double. Wood was worth a shot at a position of major need (ss). There are lots of reasons to rip the Pirates organization. This is not one of them.

Wood was picked up three days ago. Alvarez is getting the day off against a lefty. By the way, Wood hit a 2 run double. Wood was worth a shot at a position of major need (ss). There are lots of reasons to rip the Pirates organization. This is not one of them.

Hey I've been impressed by the Pirates this year, true Cedeno ain't much, but neither is Wood.

Hey I've been impressed by the Pirates this year, true Cedeno ain't much, but neither is Wood.

Oh, I agree, but, Wood is a bust because he had the potential to be good. For a team like the Pirates, why not take a shot and see what happens, especially a guy that can play SS. Cedeno is the weakest link on this team, offensively and defensively.

Its early but Alvarez hasnt impressed me yet. I drafted him in my local and thought I had a steal :wacko:

You need to be patient with Alvarez. Trust me, the raw power is there. He is off to a slow start, but, has been swinging the bat better during the last week. Remember, he got called up just prior to the All-Star break, and still hit 16 homers last year. He is still very young, and I think the power numbers will get going this year, and he will end up with respectable 3B numbers.

• 2 weeks later...
500 in May!!! :wacko::lol::tup:

Also, the two waiver pickups by the Pirates (Paul & Wood) have played very well so far.

It is early.....they have gotten off to decent start before. However, this team is different. I still don't think they will finish at or above .500, but, I wouldn't be shocked if it happened. I do think they will be chasing it all year, and I think they will actually be in the playoff picture after the all-star break two years from now. There are a lot of reasons I feel this way, but, I must say this biggest one is management. From the new members of upper management to Clint Hurdle, they are doing business in a different way. I'm actually enjoying watching this team for the first time in a LONG time.

Maybe Brandon Wood needed a new place to play, because I can see the potential in him. He has come up with some BIG hits in his short time here.

It is early.....they have gotten off to decent start before. However, this team is different. I still don't think they will finish at or above .500, but, I wouldn't be shocked if it happened. I do think they will be chasing it all year, and I think they will actually be in the playoff picture after the all-star break two years from now. There are a lot of reasons I feel this way, but, I must say this biggest one is management. From the new members of upper management to Clint Hurdle, they are doing business in a different way. I'm actually enjoying watching this team for the first time in a LONG time.

Maybe Brandon Wood needed a new place to play, because I can see the potential in him. He has come up with some BIG hits in his short time here.

I could write this exact same thing but substitute Royals information. :wacko:

Last time they've been 500 this late was 05.

I agree with everything you're saying if they keep the core young players.

I just said to my father (also a Pirates fan) last night that I can't remember the last time we had 5 pitchers all pitching decent. Usually there was 1 or more that came up & you expected a blowout. Hopefully this will continue.

• 4 weeks later...
When they pay 174 million and by comparison, you only pay a tad.................then 2 out of 3 ain't bad.

Their 174 million will probably get them to the series. Your tad has you clapping about being .500 in May. Your organization feeds into the baseball problem by giving away its talent to the big payroll monsters. I hope they stick with these guys. Walker is great , McCutchen is great, I have a feeling Alzarez will be the overhyped of the group.

Edited by whomper

Their 174 million will probably get them to the series. Your tad has you clapping about being .500 in May. Your organization feeds into the baseball problem by giving away its talent to the big payroll monsters. I hope they stick with these guys. Walker is great , McCutchen is great, I have a feeling Alzarez will be the overhyped of the group.

No argument. I've said many time that teams like the Pirates have been a BIG part of the problem. I also agree that the Phillies will be in the playoffs, and the Pirates are just hoping to finish close to .500. I still think that Alvarez will eventually put up big power numbers. I just think they rushed him a bit. Remember, he did hit 16 homers in half a season last year. He just looked a bit lost this year. Walker & McCutchen are definitely the real deal.

I was just enjoying seeing the little guys take 2 out of 3 against the big spenders this past weekend. I love baseball, love the Buccos, and have gotten very few moments of joy over the last 19 years.

No argument. I've said many time that teams like the Pirates have been a BIG part of the problem. I also agree that the Phillies will be in the playoffs, and the Pirates are just hoping to finish close to .500. I still think that Alvarez will eventually put up big power numbers. I just think they rushed him a bit. Remember, he did hit 16 homers in half a season last year. He just looked a bit lost this year. Walker & McCutchen are definitely the real deal.

I was just enjoying seeing the little guys take 2 out of 3 against the big spenders this past weekend. I love baseball, love the Buccos, and have gotten very few moments of joy over the last 19 years.

and I was just enjoying crushing your dreams . NO JOY FOR YOU !!

ETA: I am an Orioles fan. We have been the Yankees and Sox bitch for over a decade now

Edited by whomper

Wow, the Pirates are fun to watch again for the first time in a LONG time.

Last night, they come back with a 5 run 8th inning for a come from behind victory.

Tonight, they get a clutch RBI-single from Neil Walker in the 10th to tie the game after the Diamondbacks scored in the top half. Then McCutchen hits a walk off homer to start the 12th, and the Buccos are at .500 in June. I'm really enjoying watching this team grow.

Wow, the Pirates are fun to watch again for the first time in a LONG time.

Last night, they come back with a 5 run 8th inning for a come from behind victory.

Tonight, they get a clutch RBI-single from Neil Walker in the 10th to tie the game after the Diamondbacks scored in the top half. Then McCutchen hits a walk off homer to start the 12th, and the Buccos are at .500 in June. I'm really enjoying watching this team grow.

Arizona also had first and 3rd no out in extra innings. A K and a dp ended that with no runs. That was a nice win

Arizona also had first and 3rd no out in extra innings. A K and a dp ended that with no runs. That was a nice win

Yep, that was the other McCutchen........Daniel that got that done. Agreed, that was a nice win. Pitching continues to be the biggest reason for the turnaround.

My 23 year old pitched HS ball against Neil Walker in out of league play. Now that same 23 year old has no memory of the Pirates ever being in the playoffs. He loves baseball while I am a casual fan. We have been to 8 games this year already and I am drinking the 500 kool aid. My boy is drinking the playoffs in two years kool aid. I have been "very sit back and don't get your hopes up", but this is getting to be fun. Not tonight mind you but overall I almost forget what it is like to feel this way about your baseball team.

I wanna be Dusty Brown for 24 hrs. :wacko: preferably on an off day.

If you are talking about his wife who was doing the auction last night......I agree.

They say that money can't buy love.....I say take a look at the Pirates player wives taking calls on that auction. It looked like contestants fora Miss America pageant. I'm sure they would be married to those players even if they weren't making millions. :tup:

If you are talking about his wife who was doing the auction last night......I agree.

They say that money can't buy love.....I say take a look at the Pirates player wives taking calls on that auction. It looked like contestants fora Miss America pageant. I'm sure they would be married to those players even if they weren't making millions. :wacko:

Why else would I want to be the Pirate C for 1 day? She was soooooo hot.

Why else would I want to be the Pirate C for 1 day? She was soooooo hot.

:wacko:

On another note, I think the Pirates having both Chris Snyder and Ryan Doumit out for a bit is going to hurt. Their biggest strength has been their starting pitching, and now they will have two catchers handling those pitchers, who have very little experience catching them.