[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Why the Pirates

SLAYER

:wacko:

On another note, I think the Pirates having both Chris Snyder and Ryan Doumit out for a bit is going to hurt. Their biggest strength has been their starting pitching, and now they will have two catchers handling those pitchers, who have very little experience catching them.

I agree, you may see them struggle for a couple of weeks, but then again maybe not if the youngsters pay attention in the P/C game meetings.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are talking about his wife who was doing the auction last night......I agree.

They say that money can't buy love.....I say take a look at the Pirates player wives taking calls on that auction. It looked like contestants fora Miss America pageant. I'm sure they would be married to those players even if they weren't making millions. :wacko:

Brown married his wife six months before he got called up for the Red Sox.

Also, he has this really weird distinction:

On September 30, 2009, the day after the Red Sox clinched the 2009 AL Wild Card, Brown came into pitch the ninth inning of a blow out game against the Toronto Blue Jays. He became the first catcher to pitch for the Red Sox in recorded history. Brown only gave up one run, and struck out a batter. He obtained his first strike out before his first major league hit.

Brown married his wife six months before he got called up for the Red Sox.

Also, he has this really weird distinction:

Those hot women know which guys are headed to the majors. They probably google their names and read their scouting reports before deciding to commit to a serious relationship or not. :wacko: Obviously, I'm kidding, but, the MLB players sure do have hot wives.

Very odd play in today's Pirate's game. I'm not sure if I'd seen this before.

Runners at 1st and 3rd with one out. Bay hits a sacrifice fly to McCutchen. Pagan was on 1st, and he ran past 2nd, but, failed to re-touch 2nd on his way back to 1st, after the catch. The Pirates appealed at 2nd base, and Pagan was ruled out. Initially, they took the run off the board due to the double-play. However, after Collins argued, they correctly counted the run again. It was an odd play, but, the ruling does make sense.

Very odd play in today's Pirate's game. I'm not sure if I'd seen this before.

Runners at 1st and 3rd with one out. Bay hits a sacrifice fly to McCutchen. Pagan was on 1st, and he ran past 2nd, but, failed to re-touch 2nd on his way back to 1st, after the catch. The Pirates appealed at 2nd base, and Pagan was ruled out. Initially, they took the run off the board due to the double-play. However, after Collins argued, they correctly counted the run again. It was an odd play, but, the ruling does make sense.

Yep, the run always counts if scored before a non-force out (which the appealed out was).

The Pirates are back at .500 again, but, the big, bad Red Sox are in town for the weekend.

The Saux are just murdering the ball. I have never seen so many double digit scores from a baseball team as I have seen from them in the past few weeks

There is a buzz in the Pittsburgh air that has not been heard in years right about now.

I was really excited at the possibility of a sweep, but, taking 2 of 3 from the Sox is definitely a good thing. :wacko:

I've stuck by the Pirates throughout the misery of the last 18 seasons. I can't even begin to tell you how much I've been enjoying watching them this year. I never would have believed coaching could make this much of a difference. Their pitching staff, one of the worst last year, has been simply unbelievable this year and is the reason for their turnaround thus far. I also have to say that I'm absolutely amazed that they haven't seen a drop-off in starting pitching, with both of their catchers on the D/L. They have had some timely, clutch hitting, but, overall, the bats have not been very good. I've been enjoying every inning, and seeing the Pirates at 2 games over .500 and 2 games out of 1st place in July is a beautiful thing.

:wacko: Lets Go Bucs !!!!!

Edited by Menudo

I've stuck by the Pirates throughout the misery of the last 18 seasons. I can't even begin to tell you how much I've been enjoying watching them this year. I never would have believed coaching could make this much of a difference. Their pitching staff, one of the worst last year, has been simply unbelievable this year and is the reason for their turnaround thus far. I also have to say that I'm absolutely amazed that they haven't seen a drop-off in starting pitching, with both of their catchers on the D/L. They have had some timely, clutch hitting, but, overall, the bats have not been very good. I've been enjoying every inning, and seeing the Pirates at 2 games over .500 and 2 games out of 1st place in July is a beautiful things.

My thoughts exactly. Heading down to to Pittsburgh August 4-6 & already have tickets for Thursday night vs the Cubs. If we're still in the hunt I might try to grab tickets for Friday vs the Padres.

I don't mind losing, but, the PIrates have missed a big opportunity in this Nats series. They essentially gave away their two losses. In the first, they didn't deliver with various offensive opportunities. In the 2nd game of the doubleheader last night, they were their own worst enemy kicking themselves in the foot with walks & errors and blowing the lead. They need today's win to even this series and head back home 2 games over .500.

All of that said, the Bucs are only 2.5 games back and have a big opportunity with home sets against the Astros & Cubs next week.

I don't mind losing, but, the PIrates have missed a big opportunity in this Nats series. They essentially gave away their two losses. In the first, they didn't deliver with various offensive opportunities. In the 2nd game of the doubleheader last night, they were their own worst enemy kicking themselves in the foot with walks & errors and blowing the lead. They need today's win to even this series and head back home 2 games over .500.

All of that said, the Bucs are only 2.5 games back and have a big opportunity with home sets against the Astros & Cubs next week.

Pulling Resop in the 8th is the first time I've questioned Hurdle all season. Resop, Veras, Hanrahan, & to some degree McCutchen are the only relievers I trust.

Another Pirate victory to move to 4 games over .500. As to the original topic, Brandon Wood homered and drove in 3 runs. :wacko:

I've got a new patio setup with an HDMI splitter running an HDMI cable out to it. I've been setting up my TV outside and watching the Pirates every night. The fact that they are winning has made it quite enjoyable. What is truly amazing is how well the replacements are playing, as they have been decimated by injuries (Both Catchers, Tabata, Beimel, Meek, Cedeno - who was actually playing well & Ohlendorf). Guys like d'Arnaud, Harrison & McHenry have filled in decently, where Karstens & Pressley have been phenomenal. This team actually appears to have depth available, and I'm loving every minute of this.

Amazing stats: On July 5th, Pirate starting pitchers have already equaled their total wins from last year.

Tonight was the best PIrates victory that I have seen in some time. What is going on with this team is absolutely amazing. It's crazy enough that they are winning more than anyone ever expected, but, they are doing it with a bunch of kids, as they have 10 players on the DL.

The Pirates have runners on 1st and 2nd, down one run in the 8th inning with 2 outs. The Cubs turn to Carlos Marmol to try to get the 4 out save. Josh Harrison, who is only up on the big club due to injuries to Alvarez & Cedeno, drops a single into centerfield to tie the game. The standing room only, sold-out crowd was going crazy. As a Pirates fan, it was a beautiful sight that we haven't seen before since this stadium has been built. Next to the plate was Michael McHenry, a career minor leaguer, who we got from Boston because both of our catchers are on the DL, goes down 0-2, fouls off about 7 pitches and then smashes his first career homer into the left field stands. I thought they were going to bring down the house. It looked like a crowd at a Steelers game. I was cheering a cheer that is usually reserved for Steelers / Pens playoff games. The Hammer comes in during the 9th and closes the door.

If the Milwaukee & St. Louis scores remain the same, the Pittsburgh Pirates will enter tomorrow tied for 1st place in July !!!! Wow !!!!! :tup::wacko::lol:

Tonight was the best PIrates victory that I have seen in some time. What is going on with this team is absolutely amazing. It's crazy enough that they are winning more than anyone ever expected, but, they are doing it with a bunch of kids, as they have 10 players on the DL.

The Pirates have runners on 1st and 2nd, down one run in the 8th inning with 2 outs. The Cubs turn to Carlos Marmol to try to get the 4 out save. Josh Harrison, who is only up on the big club due to injuries to Alvarez & Cedeno, drops a single into centerfield to tie the game. The standing room only, sold-out crowd was going crazy. As a Pirates fan, it was a beautiful sight that we haven't seen before since this stadium has been built. Next to the plate was Michael McHenry, a career minor leaguer, who we got from Boston because both of our catchers are on the DL, goes down 0-2, fouls off about 7 pitches and then smashes his first career homer into the left field stands. I thought they were going to bring down the house. It looked like a crowd at a Steelers game. I was cheering a cheer that is usually reserved for Steelers / Pens playoff games. The Hammer comes in during the 9th and closes the door.

If the Milwaukee & St. Louis scores remain the same, the Pittsburgh Pirates will enter tomorrow tied for 1st place in July !!!! Wow !!!!! :tup::wacko::lol:

Since I'm only 29 tonight was the biggest & best win I can remember. This team is a blast to watch.