[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Why the Pirates

SLAYER

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I was completely wrong on that one. The Astros appear to be looking much further down the road than the next couple of years.

:wacko: I think they are now looking in the decade, maybe

for a second I thought sarge masterminded that trade.

how do you trade an all star OF for 3 single a players. dumb just plain flucking dumb.

Edited by SLAYER

:wacko: I think they are now looking in the decade, maybe

for a second I thought sarge masterminded that trade.

how do you trade an all star OF for 3 single a players. dumb just plain flucking dumb.

I'm shocked we didn't have to give up Brown or Worley to get Pence....:tup:

I am hoping we can make another trade involving both as I am really concerned about how good Worley can be once teams see him enough.....and I like Worley a lot dating back to last season when I saw him...but I think we should move both if it means we can win in the next 2-3 years...

I'm shocked we didn't have to give up Brown or Worley to get Pence....:wacko:

I am hoping we can make another trade involving both as I am really concerned about how good Worley can be once teams see him enough.....and I like Worley a lot dating back to last season when I saw him...but I think we should move both if it means we can win in the next 2-3 years...

Dude, you guys don't need to make any other moves. After the Pence deal, the World Series is yours to lose. The Red Sox are good, but, I think the Phillies are the best team in baseball right now.

What a bad 2 games I saw. I'm grateful they entertained me until football was back.

Pitching went to hell and the O misses Tabata/Presley at the top. Still the future looks good.

Pitching went to hell and the O misses Tabata/Presley at the top. Still the future looks good.

Yeah, this year was a positive, regardless of how badly they finish. I was worried about the pitching. It had carried them all year, but, 4 of their 5 starters are already over their innings pitched in a season for their entire career. It takes time to develop an arm that can sustain through September.

• 3 weeks later...
Team W L Pct. GB Home Road East Cent. West L10 Strk

Milwaukee 77 53 .592 - 47-16 30-37 16-11 37-20 18-13 8-2 L 1

St. Louis (25) 67 61 .523 9 32-28 35-33 14-11 29-28 16-15 4-6 L 1

Cincinnati (21) 62 65 .488 13½ 34-30 28-35 6-14 33-27 17-12 6-4 W 1

Pittsburgh (19) 60 67 .472 15½ 30-36 30-31 12-19 29-27 11-14 4-6 W 1

Chi. Cubs (14) 56 72 .438 20 31-35 25-37 12-15 25-33 14-14 5-5 L 2

Houston (E) 42 86 .328 34 23-42 19-44 7-18 21-39 10-18 4-6 L 2

:sadjollyrodger:

Nice base to build on though.

Alzarez was a bust this year but the others we have mentioned look like they have very bright futures. They have a terrific outfield

• 3 weeks later...

:wacko:

Cards win, send Bucs to 19th straight losing season

CBSSports.com wire reports

Sep. 14, 2011

PITTSBURGH -- Yadier Molina normally would have been given off a day game following a night game.

But with the Cardinals trying to gain in the NL Central and wild card, Molina was back behind the plate Wednesday and his tiebreaking, two-run double led St. Louis over the Pittsburgh Pirates 3-2.

"I feel good, man. I feel healthy," Molina said. "When you're in the pennant race, you don't feel tired."

St. Louis, which has 13 games left, has won seven of eight and remained 4½ games behind Atlanta in the NL wild-card race. The Cardinals began the day 6½ games back of Milwaukee in the NL Central.

A three-time Gold Glove winner, Molina is having the best offensive season of his eight-year career: .295 with 12 home runs and 60 RBI. The homers are a career high and he is two RBI from matching his best.

More on Cardinals at Pirates

Related links

Updating MLB news | Follow on Twitter

"It's about winning right now," Molina said. "I don't care about numbers. We're winning and that's the important thing."

St. Louis manager Tony La Russa made it a point to give Molina regular rest this season after he played in 140 games in 2009 and 136 last year.

Edwin Jackson (5-2) allowed two runs and eight hits in 7 1/3 innings.

"Anytime you can get a quality start and the team wins, it's a good day," Jackson said. "It's a game we really needed. We can't afford to lose a series."

He improved to 4-0 in his career against Pittsburgh.

"He doesn't get bothered when guys get on base," La Russa said. "He just comes back and makes tough pitches."

Three relievers combined to hold Pittsburgh scoreless over the final 2 1/3 innings. Jason Motte pitched a perfect ninth for his seventh save in 10 chances.

The Pirates clinched their 19th consecutive losing season, extending a record for a major league franchise in North America.

A year after going a big league-worst 57-105, the Pirates were 51-44 and led the NL Central by a half-game before play on July 20. But they have gone 16-38 since, and at 67-82 are ensured of another sub.-500 record.

La Russa thinks Pittsburgh is getting better.

"They compete," he said. "Clint and his coaching staff have done a really good job of getting their players to play hard for nine innings. They've played us tough and everybody else, too."

With the score 1-1 in the fourth, Molina doubled, a drive off the out-of-town scoreboard in right field off Charlie Morton (9-10).

"I was just looking to drive in a run in that situation," Molina said. "He likes to pitch me on the outside part of the plate and I got a pitch up and away that I could drive."

Derrek Lee, who had three hits, pulled the Pirates within a run when he hit an RBI double in the sixth.

Rafael Furcal hit a double on the game's first pitch and scored on Allen Craig's two-out double.

Pittsburgh tied it in the third when Michael McKenry led off with a double and Alex Presley drove him home with one out with the first of his two doubles.