[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

UFC 129 St Pierre vs Shields

I Like Soup

Well, another UFC to watch this coming Saturday and since Furd hasn't shared his picks for the fights so I can make my bets this time, I'll man up. :wacko:

St. Pierre vs Shields - I think most likely St. Pierre ends up with another unanimous decision. ::lol: St. Pierre has obviously improved his stand up working with Freddie Roach and his wrestling is badass. I think Shields has ok stand up, but he poses the biggest threat to GSP on the ground with his pretty active BJJ. I think the fight will go something like GSP stuffs takedown attempts and peppers him all night while standing. I like GSP, but the fact that he doesn't really finish fights, and admittedly doesn't take risks and goes the safe route means I'll be rooting for Shields. Shields could pull an upset if he gets GSP on the ground, I just don't know if he'll be able to do it and keep GSP down long enough to get something working.

Aldo vs Hominick - Aldo is a well rounded fighter and can win anywhere on the mat. Hominick is no joke and has some good handspeed, so I'd say Hominick has a solid chance if they stand and bang. I think Aldo takes it thought with a TKO or submission.

Couture vs Machida - I know I'll get blasted for this, but I'm not real excited about Couture fighting, and haven't been for some time. The guy hasn't had a competitive fight since '09, and that was against Brandon Vera (who I was never a fan of anyway). I do think that at the age of 48 or 500 or whatever that he can even step in the octagon and compete is impressive in itself. I don't see Machida gaining anything from this fight and it is risky because styles make fights. If Randy gets a hold of Machida and lays and prays for 3 rounds, Machida will leave the ring with a 3rd straight loss. With a win, I don't know, it doesn't exactly catapult him back as a number one contender or anything. Anyway, blah, blah, blah, I think Machida keeps Couture off him and knocks him out.

Matyushenko vs Brilz - I think they are both solid wrestlers and overall well rounded fighters. Brilz is younger and faster, but Vlad is a veteran. Brilz with a unanimous decision. I'm rooting for Brilz though...

Diaz vs MacDonald - I don't know why, but I love me some Nate Diaz. I think it goes back to the TUF days when he would just talk about "whoopin' his ass"...not saying he was going to kill anyone, but I just love the fact he uses that phrase. :tup: Anyway, he's also done better than I thought he would so I'll be rooting for Diaz. I think Diaz will submit MacDonald.

Well, another UFC to watch this coming Saturday and since Furd hasn't shared his picks for the fights so I can make my bets this time, I'll man up. :wacko:

St. Pierre vs Shields - I think most likely St. Pierre ends up with another unanimous decision. ::lol: St. Pierre has obviously improved his stand up working with Freddie Roach and his wrestling is badass. I think Shields has ok stand up, but he poses the biggest threat to GSP on the ground with his pretty active BJJ. I think the fight will go something like GSP stuffs takedown attempts and peppers him all night while standing. I like GSP, but the fact that he doesn't really finish fights, and admittedly doesn't take risks and goes the safe route means I'll be rooting for Shields. Shields could pull an upset if he gets GSP on the ground, I just don't know if he'll be able to do it and keep GSP down long enough to get something working.

Aldo vs Hominick - Aldo is a well rounded fighter and can win anywhere on the mat. Hominick is no joke and has some good handspeed, so I'd say Hominick has a solid chance if they stand and bang. I think Aldo takes it thought with a TKO or submission.

Couture vs Machida - I know I'll get blasted for this, but I'm not real excited about Couture fighting, and haven't been for some time. The guy hasn't had a competitive fight since '09, and that was against Brandon Vera (who I was never a fan of anyway). I do think that at the age of 48 or 500 or whatever that he can even step in the octagon and compete is impressive in itself. I don't see Machida gaining anything from this fight and it is risky because styles make fights. If Randy gets a hold of Machida and lays and prays for 3 rounds, Machida will leave the ring with a 3rd straight loss. With a win, I don't know, it doesn't exactly catapult him back as a number one contender or anything. Anyway, blah, blah, blah, I think Machida keeps Couture off him and knocks him out.

Matyushenko vs Brilz - I think they are both solid wrestlers and overall well rounded fighters. Brilz is younger and faster, but Vlad is a veteran. Brilz with a unanimous decision. I'm rooting for Brilz though...

Diaz vs MacDonald - I don't know why, but I love me some Nate Diaz. I think it goes back to the TUF days when he would just talk about "whoopin' his ass"...not saying he was going to kill anyone, but I just love the fact he uses that phrase. :tup: Anyway, he's also done better than I thought he would so I'll be rooting for Diaz. I think Diaz will submit MacDonald.

Rooting for Sheilds as I love Sheilds/Gil/Nate/Nick Diaz. IF Sheilds can take it to the ground then GSP could be finished. Standing with Jake is dangerous as well, as he can land his guillatine from anywhere. JS has some of the nastiest subs in the game, and while GSP lacks submissions, he is incredible about positioning and defending the sub. Liek I said, rooting for Jake, but until someone proves GSP is human, I'll keep on picking him to win.

Just rooting for the Aldo fight to be entertaining. I think Aldo takes it though.

And bite your toungue for talking bad about Captain America. This is probably the last time we'll see him fight, but it's at least huge. If Couture does what I think he does, Machida will be taken down and pounded. That would also leave Machida on a three loss streak. I would imagine his confidence would be shot at thtat point.

Ben Henderson over Mark Bocheck. If you haven't seen Henderson fight, you'll be amazed. Extremely entertaining...

Ugh Watching the weigh ins and Henderson is 156.5 He's going to have to lose it pretty quick. Hopefully he's not in bad shape come Saturday.

Rooting for Sheilds as I love Sheilds/Gil/Nate/Nick Diaz. IF Sheilds can take it to the ground then GSP could be finished. Standing with Jake is dangerous as well, as he can land his guillatine from anywhere. JS has some of the nastiest subs in the game, and while GSP lacks submissions, he is incredible about positioning and defending the sub. Liek I said, rooting for Jake, but until someone proves GSP is human, I'll keep on picking him to win.

Just rooting for the Aldo fight to be entertaining. I think Aldo takes it though.

And bite your toungue for talking bad about Captain America. This is probably the last time we'll see him fight, but it's at least huge. If Couture does what I think he does, Machida will be taken down and pounded. That would also leave Machida on a three loss streak. I would imagine his confidence would be shot at thtat point.

Ben Henderson over Mark Bocheck. If you haven't seen Henderson fight, you'll be amazed. Extremely entertaining...

Ugh Watching the weigh ins and Henderson is 156.5 He's going to have to lose it pretty quick. Hopefully he's not in bad shape come Saturday.

Oh yeah, I forgot about Henderson fighting. I like watching him fight and I see him winning his fight.

I've taken a hiatus from mma. Just too many bad fights IMO. (I regret missing the Diaz-Dailey fight live though.) I'm going to watch tomorrow night, mainly just to get together with the fellas.

I expect (as do a lot of people) St. Pierre to ride his jab to a convincing decision, maybe a TKO. St. Pierre is too fast, too smart, and too cautious to allow Shields to take him down.

I also expect a wicked superman punch from the Canadian.

good looking card....

GSP take out Shields via UD

Machida is gonna pick Randy apart and turn out the lights on him fairly quickly IMO

I really really really hope Rory knocks Diaz out - not sure how anyone pulls for that punk, can't stand the fool.

give me Aldo, Ben Henderson and Brilz in the rest of them

so hit up your local bookie and fade these picks immediately

Shields gets more respect from me here on out. I would love a rematch between the two. And although Sheilds lost, I think GSP is in worse shape right now. To hear that he couldnt see out of his right eye, even during the post fight interview is alarming. I wonder if he screwed up his retina. It's been a while since we've seen GSP look beat up.

And whatever judge scored it 50-45 GSP is brain dead. The other two judges got it right.

I also think Aldo knew his fight should have been stopped and let off of the gas in the final round. I think he knew the other guy was in bad shape and just wheatherd the storm in the fifth.

The Karate Kid kick from Machida was awesome. Looked a lot more like the Machida from a 2 years ago opposed to the one we've seen the last two fights. He looked on for sure. Couture couldn't get or keep his hands on him.

I thought it was a great card all around, although I must say that for the first time ever, I wanted the main event to keep on going. Neither guy was gassed after 25 minutes. I dont remember ever seeing that before.

Shields gets more respect from me here on out. I would love a rematch between the two. And although Sheilds lost, I think GSP is in worse shape right now. To hear that he couldnt see out of his right eye, even during the post fight interview is alarming. I wonder if he screwed up his retina. It's been a while since we've seen GSP look beat up.

And whatever judge scored it 50-45 GSP is brain dead. The other two judges got it right.

I also think Aldo knew his fight should have been stopped and let off of the gas in the final round. I think he knew the other guy was in bad shape and just wheatherd the storm in the fifth.

The Karate Kid kick from Machida was awesome. Looked a lot more like the Machida from a 2 years ago opposed to the one we've seen the last two fights. He looked on for sure. Couture couldn't get or keep his hands on him.

I thought it was a great card all around, although I must say that for the first time ever, I wanted the main event to keep on going. Neither guy was gassed after 25 minutes. I dont remember ever seeing that before.

I didnt see a single round Shields won. Only the 4th round could be considered up for grabs, and before GSP was cut on the nose he had taken shields down. There is no way Shields won the 5th round, so I can certainly see a 50-45 fight. And IMO, the only reason Shields came out of this as well as he did, is because of GSP eye, and it looked like a thumb or finger poked him in the eye on a jab at the end of round 2. Shields couldnt do anything against GSP, except land a few shots that GSP probably didnt see coming with that eye. Shields didnt take GSP down once, and GSP took shields down in 3 different rounds at will. I think if they fight again, GSP picks him apart. Nothing I saw from Shields told me he could ever beat GSP, and if he couldnt get it done with GSP not being able to see out of one of his eyes for 3 rounds, it certainly isnt going to happen when he can. I was disappointed this fight didnt have more action after just seeing the Aldo fight before. But I would certainly watch if these 2 met again. Just more convinced after tonight GSP wins again, than I was before tonights fight. I thought Shields would get GSP down and in trouble a few times, but he gave up even trying to take him down after he tried and failed the first few times. And that is the sad part about a rematch, I dont see Shields being strong enough to do it in the future. GSP is just too strong at this weight class.

Silva could do some serious damage to GSP standing up, and I wouldnt go up in weight for that either. Nothing to gain, GSP is already the man in the sport, and going up in weight isnt to his long term advantage. As much as Id like to see it, I understand why he wouldnt do it. Just as you certainly dont see Silva considering going up in weight to fight Jones. Certainly not in his best interest either. And Id love to see that as well. The only fighter more of a freak than Silva is probably Jones

Couture needs to hang them up. Loved his heart the last couple of years, but dude is what 47, 48. He will always be a legend in the sport and rightfully so, but every one has a shelf life in this business, and you have exceeded that for years. Its time...

No way Aldo let off the gas and take that much punishment in the 5th. he was gased, and lucky there wasnt another round. He couldnt get off his back for almost 3 minutes and held the other guys hands trying to keep him from hitting him. But in that round alone, Aldo took alot of punishment, he didnt just let that happen. I love the heart of the Canadian in that fight, though I was worried for him, and thought they should have stopped the fight with that size knot on his head. Dude should be proud of the way he continued, and could have stole that fight if he could land a few more shots in that 5th round. Best fight of the night IMO.

Im ready to see the Big Boys, Cain and Brock fight again. I enjoyed tonight very much, but was disappointed by the ending. That is rarely the case with the Heavy weights lately.

Edited by Brent

I didnt see a single round Shields won. Only the 4th round could be considered up for grabs, and before GSP was cut on the nose he had taken shields down. There is no way Shields won the 5th round, so I can certainly see a 50-45 fight. And IMO, the only reason Shields came out of this as well as he did, is because of GSP eye, and it looked like a thumb or finger poked him in the eye on a jab at the end of round 2. Shields couldnt do anything against GSP, except land a few shots that GSP probably didnt see coming with that eye. Shields didnt take GSP down once, and GSP took shields down in 3 different rounds at will. I think if they fight again, GSP picks him apart. Nothing I saw from Shields told me he could ever beat GSP, and if he couldnt get it done with GSP not being able to see out of one of his eyes for 3 rounds, it certainly isnt going to happen when he can. I was disappointed this fight didnt have more action after just seeing the Aldo fight before.

Couture needs to hang them up. Loved his heart the last couple of years, but dude is what 47, 48. He will always be a legend in the sport and rightfully so, but every one has a shelf life in this business, and you have exceeded that for years. Its time...

No way Aldo let off the gas and take that much punishment in the 5th. he was gased, and lucky there wasnt another round. He couldnt get off his back for almost 3 minutes and held the other guys hands trying to keep him from hitting him. But in that round alone, Aldo took alot of punishment, he didnt just let that happen. I love the heart of the Canadian in that fight, though I was worried for him, and thought they should have stopped the fight with that size knot on his head. Dude should be proud of the way he continued, and could have stole that fight if he could land a few more shots in that 5th round. Best fight of the night IMO.

Im ready to see the Big Boys, Cain and Brock fight again. I enjoyed tonight very much, but was disappointed by the ending. That is rarely the case with the Heavy weights lately.

Two of the three judges gave Shields the 4th and 5th round, so it wasn't just me.

The eye wasnt a finger into it. They replayed it and it was a clean jab. Coming into the fight I wasn't even sure if Shields could make someone bleed from punches... The main issue with Shields is that he had GSP blinded in his left eye and at no point went in for the kill. Oh, and if you're going to attempt a takedown on GSP, what in the hell are you doing going for a single? I'm not sure it's humanly possible for GSP to get taken down with a single leg takedown.

I think GSP could destroy almost everyone he faces at this point if he'd fight a fight and not play a sport. He's great in so many areas but plays it safe too much so he can get a win, but then again, that's why he's become Georges Saftey Pierres.

As far as Couture, sad to see him go, but it is time. Just saw a picture from Jay Glazers twitter... Couture was heading to his post fight party/Retirement party in the back of an ambulance. That guy is freaking awesome.

And I still think Aldo let up in the 5th, but he didn't expect Homanick to have anything left, I think he figured he could control his wrists a little bit better. Obvisouly either way he could have been finished in the 5th. Just a thought, not strong enough to argue over though.

As far as the HW's go, we've got Carwin coming back from an injury, Dos Santos/Lesnar, and the Strikeforce Tourney which will be in our neck of the woods. I think Overeem will clean out SF, then do the same in the UFC. I think his striking/strength will be too much for everyone.

I'm also not interested in seeing GSP/Spider Silva at a catchweight. I'm at the point where I want to see Silva move up to 205. I guess the idea of Anderson Silva Vs Jon Jones having a war seems like an incredible fight.

Two of the three judges gave Shields the 4th and 5th round, so it wasn't just me.

The eye wasnt a finger into it. They replayed it and it was a clean jab. Coming into the fight I wasn't even sure if Shields could make someone bleed from punches... The main issue with Shields is that he had GSP blinded in his left eye and at no point went in for the kill. Oh, and if you're going to attempt a takedown on GSP, what in the hell are you doing going for a single? I'm not sure it's humanly possible for GSP to get taken down with a single leg takedown.

I think GSP could destroy almost everyone he faces at this point if he'd fight a fight and not play a sport. He's great in so many areas but plays it safe too much so he can get a win, but then again, that's why he's become Georges Saftey Pierres.

As far as Couture, sad to see him go, but it is time. Just saw a picture from Jay Glazers twitter... Couture was heading to his post fight party/Retirement party in the back of an ambulance. That guy is freaking awesome.

And I still think Aldo let up in the 5th, but he didn't expect Homanick to have anything left, I think he figured he could control his wrists a little bit better. Obvisouly either way he could have been finished in the 5th. Just a thought, not strong enough to argue over though.

As far as the HW's go, we've got Carwin coming back from an injury, Dos Santos/Lesnar, and the Strikeforce Tourney which will be in our neck of the woods. I think Overeem will clean out SF, then do the same in the UFC. I think his striking/strength will be too much for everyone.

I'm also not interested in seeing GSP/Spider Silva at a catchweight. I'm at the point where I want to see Silva move up to 205. I guess the idea of Anderson Silva Vs Jon Jones having a war seems like an incredible fight.

And one judge scored it 50-45, which is how I would have scored it. and you know as well as I do, judges see blood and think that fighter must have lost a round because of it. Shields was cut in the 5th, but GSP gash in the 4th was open in the 5th as well. That is the only thing I can even justify why those 2 rounds went to Sheilds on those judges score cards. It certainly wasnt action or who got the best of who in the round itself.

What do you expect GSP to do, take unnecessary risks and put his championship at risk, when he doesnt have too. That is the same argument for Anderson Silva as well. He has had some of the most boring fights Ive seen in the sport, outside the last knock out. Man that was the best knockout Ive seen in a while. GSP and Silva have a game plan for every fight, where someone like BJ Penn tries the same thing in every fight, even if it plays in the hand of the other guys strength. That is what makes those 2 so great, and BJ Penn a non factor in the sport today at age 32. (GSP 30 in less than a month) (Silva 36)

Edited by Brent

Punches "landed" sometimes doesn't tell the whole story... Kampman vs. Sanchez comes to mind as a perfect example. Sanchez threw more, and probably landed more, punches in that fight. But, when it was all said and done, Kampman was relatively unscathed, while Sanchez looked like his head had gone through a meat grinder. Granted, damage doesn't always tell the whole story, either, but that was a perfect example of a judge (or maybe multiple judges) being fooled into thinking quantity is worth more than quality. Kampman basically picked Sanchez apart, for three rounds, yet somehow lost the fight.

I didn't purchase Saturday's card, so I can't say anything on Shields' or GSP's behalf. All I'm saying is that the stats sometimes are somewhat misleading, particularly when one fighter's level of precision (in striking) is significantly better than his opponent's.

What do you expect GSP to do, take unnecessary risks and put his championship at risk, when he doesnt have too. That is the same argument for Anderson Silva as well. He has had some of the most boring fights Ive seen in the sport, outside the last knock out. Man that was the best knockout Ive seen in a while. GSP and Silva have a game plan for every fight, where someone like BJ Penn tries the same thing in every fight, even if it plays in the hand of the other guys strength. That is what makes those 2 so great, and BJ Penn a non factor in the sport today at age 32. (GSP 30 in less than a month) (Silva 36)

I don't blame GSP or Silva for being boring, but it's becoming less about Mixed martial arts and more about grinding out decisions to keep a belt, and it's causing boring fights. I don't think takedowns or control should count as much as they do alone. Taking someone down twice, but doing no damage to your opponent shouldn't give you a round. Neither should laying on top of someone. Again, it's less about GSP or Silva, and more about the way fights are scored.

Interesting, I just read that Shields landed four more strikes than GSP.

I thought that he did more damage in those strikes as well in the 4th and 5th. He didn't have the killer instinct and didn't deserve the win, but I think 50-45 was insane.

That's the second 170 title fight in a row where one guy couldn't see out of an eye and the other fighter failed to do anything with it... Just saying.

I don't blame GSP or Silva for being boring, but it's becoming less about Mixed martial arts and more about grinding out decisions to keep a belt, and it's causing boring fights. I don't think takedowns or control should count as much as they do alone. Taking someone down twice, but doing no damage to your opponent shouldn't give you a round. Neither should laying on top of someone. Again, it's less about GSP or Silva, and more about the way fights are scored.

I thought that he did more damage in those strikes as well in the 4th and 5th. He didn't have the killer instinct and didn't deserve the win, but I think 50-45 was insane.

That's the second 170 title fight in a row where one guy couldn't see out of an eye and the other fighter failed to do anything with it... Just saying.

Its not just about keeping a belt, its about winning the fight. Taking chances when you do not have to, because your opponent isnt capable of beating you, unless you take silly chances isnt smart either. And takedowns are just one aspect of the fight, but when the stand up is even, a takedown should give you the round. At no time did I think GSP was in trouble or Shields bested him in this fight. And in the 4th round, when GSP was cut on the nose, it seemed to be a glancing blow, not something that had him in trouble, just like the cut on Shields. he was never in trouble either. So yes it was a boring fight, but this is where the challenger should go for it, and try and take the belt. Clearly that didnt happen, and GSP won the fight.

Punches "landed" sometimes doesn't tell the whole story... Kampman vs. Sanchez comes to mind as a perfect example. Sanchez threw more, and probably landed more, punches in that fight. But, when it was all said and done, Kampman was relatively unscathed, while Sanchez looked like his head had gone through a meat grinder. Granted, damage doesn't always tell the whole story, either, but that was a perfect example of a judge (or maybe multiple judges) being fooled into thinking quantity is worth more than quality. Kampman basically picked Sanchez apart, for three rounds, yet somehow lost the fight.

I didn't purchase Saturday's card, so I can't say anything on Shields' or GSP's behalf. All I'm saying is that the stats sometimes are somewhat misleading, particularly when one fighter's level of precision (in striking) is significantly better than his opponent's.

While I don't necessarily disagree, the fact that GSP's striking is supposed to be on another level in comparison to Shields and Shields connected more, well, that wouldn't exactly give me a vote of confidence. Shields looked uncomfortable and robotic at times in his striking game and he did more damage.

Yeah, I noted that when we were watching the fight that I thought Shields was hurt and GSP just sat back and didn't go in for a swarm of strikes to try and end the fight. GSP's legacy may well start looking more like "yeah, noone could beat him, but he didn't really beat anyone up either".

While I don't necessarily disagree, the fact that GSP's striking is supposed to be on another level in comparison to Shields and Shields connected more, well, that wouldn't exactly give me a vote of confidence. Shields looked uncomfortable and robotic at times in his striking game and he did more damage.

I didn't even see the fight on Saturday, so I wasn't commenting on GSP-Shields in particular . I'm just saying, in general, striking stats can sometimes be misleading, particularly in a situation where one guy is swinging blindly at a furious rate, and the other guy is picking his spots (much more effectively). As impressed as I was by Diego's heart in that fight, I couldn't help but feel bad for Kampman, when the decision was announced. Like he said, when asked if he thought he won... "Well, yeah... just look at Diego's face." Kampman was shocked, as well he should have been... He was never in trouble, the entire fight.

Can't speak for GSP or Shields, as I didn't watch it. I did watch the free prelim's on Spike, though... The guy who beat Diaz is going to be pretty good.

Its not just about keeping a belt, its about winning the fight. Taking chances when you do not have to, because your opponent isnt capable of beating you, unless you take silly chances isnt smart either. And takedowns are just one aspect of the fight, but when the stand up is even, a takedown should give you the round. At no time did I think GSP was in trouble or Shields bested him in this fight. And in the 4th round, when GSP was cut on the nose, it seemed to be a glancing blow, not something that had him in trouble, just like the cut on Shields. he was never in trouble either. So yes it was a boring fight, but this is where the challenger should go for it, and try and take the belt. Clearly that didnt happen, and GSP won the fight.

GSP got a win credited to his record, but I don't think either of them deserved it. Neither guy at any point tried to win the fight, and that goes back to my issue with it becoming more of a sport than a MMA Fight. Dana White has called out Team Jackson and Anderson Silva for sitting back and trying to outpoint the other guy. I get where you're coming from, but Fedor, Couture, Liddell and the real legends of this sport didn't try and outpoint people. That's the garbage that Dan Severn pulled and made a career out of. I guess I'm just aggravated that he should be finishing people off left and right. I figured if Sheilds couldn't take him down that he would KO Jake. But then again, I thought he would finish Hardy every time he took the back or had the sub right in front of him.

Oh, and Dana White said that they're working on making "big fights" 5 rounds and title fights 7 rounds...

Edited by piratesownninjas

GSP got a win credited to his record, but I don't think either of them deserved it. Neither guy at any point tried to win the fight, and that goes back to my issue with it becoming more of a sport than a MMA Fight. Dana White has called out Team Jackson and Anderson Silva for sitting back and trying to outpoint the other guy. I get where you're coming from, but Fedor, Couture, Liddell and the real legends of this sport didn't try and outpoint people. That's the garbage that Dan Severn pulled and made a career out of. I guess I'm just aggravated that he should be finishing people off left and right. I figured if Sheilds couldn't take him down that he would KO Jake. But then again, I thought he would finish Hardy every time he took the back or had the sub right in front of him.

Oh, and Dana White said that they're working on making "big fights" 5 rounds and title fights 7 rounds...

Id like to see all fights 5 rounds, and title fights more.

And I would like to see the best engage more. The heavyweights do, which is why I still like that division best. Though the Aldo fight was pretty good, and that division is very active.

Id like to see all fights 5 rounds, and title fights more.

And I would like to see the best engage more. The heavyweights do, which is why I still like that division best. Though the Aldo fight was pretty good, and that division is very active.

Agree with all fights being 5, but I'm happy that Dana White is pushing for big non title fights to be 5, and title defenses to be 7.

Have you watched a lot of Aldo fights prior to Saturday? Joe Rogan was saying that something went wrong in his weight cut, all I know is that I've never seen him gas as quick as he did Saturday. The little guys are always fun to watch. Endless cardio.

As far as the heavyweights go, who do you see winning between Lesnar and Dos Santos?

Oh, and The Ultimate Fighter is running out of gas. Everyone just wants to stand and bang, but no one seems to have any power behind it. Low quality "fights" if you ask me. When I heard Jon Jones didn't make the TUF cut I laughed. I understand that they just go ahead and sign you if you're legit, but the no.1 ranked guy on this season was cut from the Strikeforce challangers.

Hang onto Pacquiao and Money. After that you've got nothing else. Boxing is dying. Those athletes are choosing to do different things. And you can't argue it, MMA>Boxing when it comes to PPV Buys and gates.

I strongly disagree. Pacquiao is almost single handedly bringing boxing back into the thoughts and living rooms worldwide. I think boxing, for the first time in a long time, is gathering momentum, not losing it. An american heavyweight would take this sport so far, but you're right, that guy is probably playing football right now. There are plenty of excellent young middle and bantam weight fighters right now, there are certainly more stars on the horizon. Some flambouyant ones too, which is really what moves the dial. Amir Khan is going to be fun to watch. People will know Daniel Jacobs soon. Andre Ward is already on the verge of becoming a star. Super quick and fun to watch.

Technically, you can't argue that a really good boxing match could ever be touched by even the greatest of MMA fights. Teach an average professional boxer some sprawling techniques, and MMA guys wouldn't stand a chance. You're gonna dirty box a boxer? The sweet science is superior in every way except for the fact that every guy that thinks he's tough seems to be training for MMA right now. They know they could never be boxers. The demographic that moves the needle is watching MMA right now. You know the guy I'm talking about, not exactly sports purists.

Frankly, I think MMA is getting exposed lately. You're talking to a guy that was gung-ho on MMA some 20 years ago. You can't tell me it's a better product now. It's not even the same product it was five years ago. Style is becoming secondary. 90% of the fighters are hybrid wrestlers/dirty boxers now. Maybe they've got some kickboxing mixed in. 75% of the fights are outright boring. Because of the style and the way these guys are trained not to take risks, nothing happens anymore. Come back to this in 5 years and tell me how popular MMA is. The fights and fighters just aren't good enough to have staying power.

I strongly disagree. Pacquiao is almost single handedly bringing boxing back into the thoughts and living rooms worldwide. I think boxing, for the first time in a long time, is gathering momentum, not losing it. An american heavyweight would take this sport so far, but you're right, that guy is probably playing football right now. There are plenty of excellent young middle and bantam weight fighters right now, there are certainly more stars on the horizon. Some flambouyant ones too, which is really what moves the dial. Amir Khan is going to be fun to watch. People will know Daniel Jacobs soon. Andre Ward is already on the verge of becoming a star. Super quick and fun to watch.

Technically, you can't argue that a really good boxing match could ever be touched by even the greatest of MMA fights. Teach an average professional boxer some sprawling techniques, and MMA guys wouldn't stand a chance. You're gonna dirty box a boxer? The sweet science is superior in every way except for the fact that every guy that thinks he's tough seems to be training for MMA right now. They know they could never be boxers. The demographic that moves the needle is watching MMA right now. You know the guy I'm talking about, not exactly sports purists.

Frankly, I think MMA is getting exposed lately. You're talking to a guy that was gung-ho on MMA some 20 years ago. You can't tell me it's a better product now. It's not even the same product it was five years ago. Style is becoming secondary. 90% of the fighters are hybrid wrestlers/dirty boxers now. Maybe they've got some kickboxing mixed in. 75% of the fights are outright boring. Because of the style and the way these guys are trained not to take risks, nothing happens anymore. Come back to this in 5 years and tell me how popular MMA is. The fights and fighters just aren't good enough to have staying power.

:wacko:

been busy, but nice to come back and see you still don't have a clue. Wrong on damn near every point

just unreal how off the mark one dude can be any topic

:wacko:

been busy, but nice to come back and see you still don't have a clue. Wrong on damn near every point

just unreal how off the mark one dude can be any topic

Yay, my stalker is back!! Missed ya bud.

Yay, my stalker is back!! Missed ya bud.

ahh the stalker complex, good times.....whatever

love when a guy gets off on thinking they have some kind of stalker on an innernet forum- stay hot with that......

I didn't want to click on the un-igg-nore button, but I couldn't resist when someone is so out of touch and flat wrong across the board - it is amazing, really - well done.

I am sure I will have you back on ignore with private ryan

Edited by wildcat2334