[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

UFC 129 St Pierre vs Shields

I Like Soup

GSP got a win credited to his record, but I don't think either of them deserved it. Neither guy at any point tried to win the fight, and that goes back to my issue with it becoming more of a sport than a MMA Fight. Dana White has called out Team Jackson and Anderson Silva for sitting back and trying to outpoint the other guy. I get where you're coming from, but Fedor, Couture, Liddell and the real legends of this sport didn't try and outpoint people. That's the garbage that Dan Severn pulled and made a career out of. I guess I'm just aggravated that he should be finishing people off left and right. I figured if Sheilds couldn't take him down that he would KO Jake. But then again, I thought he would finish Hardy every time he took the back or had the sub right in front of him.

Oh, and Dana White said that they're working on making "big fights" 5 rounds and title fights 7 rounds...

Yet when I say this about Mayweather you tell me I am wrong and not appreciating the art that is his defensive skills. The bottom line is thats what the average fight fan wants..action. I loved Roy Jones back in the day when he actually tried to knock people out. Then he went on a 7 year run of fighting "#1 contenders and boring us to tears with being just fast enough to beat all of them but never take a chance and provide action. IMO Mayweather is the same way. Ill take an Arturo Gatti fight (rip) any day over a Floyd fight. I know Floyd embarrassed him when they fought and I still dont care. Same with Lennox Lewis. He was fine with just outpointing a guy. That's why people still liked Tyson better. Bottom line is chance taking power punchers will always be more exciting to most fans in boxing.

Hang onto Pacquiao and Money. After that you've got nothing else. Boxing is dying. Those athletes are choosing to do different things. And you can't argue it, MMA>Boxing when it comes to PPV Buys and gates.

Boxing will never die . MMA has a very long way to go before you can even sit at the table with boxing. Im not hating on MMA. Truthfully , I rarely watch it, but I love how MMA guys like to throw dirt on boxing all the time. Never happen. Pacman/Mayweather would be the biggest PPV fight in ages. There isnt one MMA dream match up , no matter how creative you could get, that would even come close

eta

hasnt MMA been around for about 20 years now ? I remember in High School when "Ultimate Fighting" came out. That guy Tank Abbott ? was knocking people out and it was catching a buzz. How long has it been going on ?

Edited by whomper

Yet when I say this about Mayweather you tell me I am wrong and not appreciating the art that is his defensive skills. The bottom line is thats what the average fight fan wants..action. I loved Roy Jones back in the day when he actually tried to knock people out. Then he went on a 7 year run of fighting "#1 contenders and boring us to tears with being just fast enough to beat all of them but never take a chance and provide action. IMO Mayweather is the same way. Ill take an Arturo Gatti fight (rip) any day over a Floyd fight. I know Floyd embarrassed him when they fought and I still dont care. Same with Lennox Lewis. He was fine with just outpointing a guy. That's why people still liked Tyson better. Bottom line is chance taking power punchers will always be more exciting to most fans in boxing.

Boxing will never die . MMA has a very long way to go before you can even sit at the table with boxing. Im not hating on MMA. Truthfully , I rarely watch it, but I love how MMA guys like to throw dirt on boxing all the time. Never happen. Pacman/Mayweather would be the biggest PPV fight in ages. There isnt one MMA dream match up , no matter how creative you could get, that would even come close

eta

hasnt MMA been around for about 20 years now ? I remember in High School when "Ultimate Fighting" came out. That guy Tank Abbott ? was knocking people out and it was catching a buzz. How long has it been going on ?

Very big difference from GSP/Spider 5 years ago wrecking people to playing defense at this point to keep the belts. Bigger difference when you try and bring FMM into the conversation. Mayweather boxing is puts on a clinic on footwork/handwork from a technique standpoint. Floyd has never been the guy that rips your head off. Silva is the guy that can knock anyone out in the planet, but just hung out and didn't go for it because he was bored or more interested in keeping the belt. It's not about him taking chances by throwing devestating punches/kicks that he can use with ease, and without putting himself in a bad position.

And I apologize if you took the bait on the boxing post. Read what the jackass chimed in with. Although you need to realize that MMA is already at the table. MMA set the table. Like I said in the earlier post, outside of Pacman or mayweather the PPV buys are not even close. Outside of those two names it's not even close. I'm not debating you, you can just look at the numbers. Boxing has no heavyweights, and the vast majority of the talant that would be getting into boxing are going to MMA instead. Boxing isn't dead, nor will it die, but it's getting closer and closer to being a footnote in the sportspage. Saying MMA has a long way to go before it's even at the table with boxing is crazy.

Boxing isn't dead, nor will it die, but it's getting closer and closer to being a footnote in the sportspage. Saying MMA has a long way to go before it's even at the table with boxing is crazy.

I wholeheartedly agree with just about everything you said, except this last statement stood out to me a bit. Boxing, while it may be closer and closer to being a footnote, is still in the sports page. In that sense, MMA still has MILES to go to be anywhere near boxing. The fight this weekend is likely going to be somewhere on the front page of your newspaper Sunday morning and be a headline on the most popular websites on the planet.

Anybody that has any interest in sports knows who Manny Pacquiao is. They've probably heard of Mosley. They've probably heard of the Klitschko brothers. They are familiar with Floyd. And they would flock back to boxing in a second if there was a fighter that caught their attention. Even as forgotten about as boxing is now, it is one boxer away from being right back in the middle of mainstream again, and this discussion wouldn't even happen.

Some average sports fans MIGHT be able to identify BJ Penn or GSP, or maybe Silva. Maybe Couture I guess, or Lidell. That's a reach. MMA certainly has a niche. A very, very big niche, but is still a sideshow to people not directly in the middle of that niche. Until MMA can somehow attract the average sports fan in higher numbers, he's actually right, it isn't even on boxing's planet.

MMA is hot, and people will pay to watch it. It's "cool" to rent MMA fights and have your buddies over. Is it going to be as "cool" in five years? If the product doesn't get significantly better, I'm just not sure it will be. I grew up with one of the pioneers of MMA, and therefore grew up watching it very closely for a long time. It used to be REALLY cool stylistically. The product itself isn't as compelling. Not that the fighters aren't really good, they just aren't as compelling stylistically. I watch it now and it just isn't nearly as entertaining as it used to be. Until MMA is capable of turning guys into household names, it's always going to be chasing boxing's long-term popularity.

Very big difference from GSP/Spider 5 years ago wrecking people to playing defense at this point to keep the belts. Bigger difference when you try and bring FMM into the conversation. Mayweather boxing is puts on a clinic on footwork/handwork from a technique standpoint. Floyd has never been the guy that rips your head off. Silva is the guy that can knock anyone out in the planet, but just hung out and didn't go for it because he was bored or more interested in keeping the belt. It's not about him taking chances by throwing devestating punches/kicks that he can use with ease, and without putting himself in a bad position.

And I apologize if you took the bait on the boxing post. Read what the jackass chimed in with. Although you need to realize that MMA is already at the table. MMA set the table. Like I said in the earlier post, outside of Pacman or mayweather the PPV buys are not even close. Outside of those two names it's not even close. I'm not debating you, you can just look at the numbers. Boxing has no heavyweights, and the vast majority of the talant that would be getting into boxing are going to MMA instead. Boxing isn't dead, nor will it die, but it's getting closer and closer to being a footnote in the sportspage. Saying MMA has a long way to go before it's even at the table with boxing is crazy.

My point is, where is MMA's "Thrilla in Manilla" ,Hagler Hearns , Gatti Ward ? MMA has been around a long time and your average guy doesnt know any legendary MMA epic fights that will go down in history. Avid MMA fans might know some but mainstream sports fans wouldnt. Boxing is in a lull for sure and its because of the heavyweights. If the Klitscho brothers ever fought each other it would be hugh but they are adamant that it would never happen. If Mayweather wasnt such a pusslie you would have a massive boxing event. He is waiting for Manny to slow down I guess just like Lennox Lewis wanted no part of Tyson when Tyson was good

Edited by whomper

My point is, where is MMA's "Thrilla in Manilla" ,Hagler Hearns , Gatti Ward ? MMA has been around a long time and your average guy doesnt know any legendary MMA epic fights that will go down in history. Avid MMA fans might know some but mainstream sports fans wouldnt. Boxing is in a lull for sure and its because of the heavyweights. If the Klitscho brothers ever fought each other it would be hugh but they are adamant that it would never happen. If Mayweather wasnt such a pusslie you would have a massive boxing event. He is waiting for Manny to slow down I guess just like Lennox Lewis wanted no part of Tyson when Tyson was good

UFC is in its infancy of popularity, regardless of how long the sport has been around. Boxing has been around over 200 years, and you are comparing fights 20-40 years ago, would be like comparing UFC fights 100 years from now. Im not saying Boxing is dead, because last night many watched a washed up 39 yr old get beat down by the so called best pound for pound fighter in the world. But where were the fireworks in that fight. It kinda reminded me of the rep the UFC is getting. Pac-Man never tried to finish him off, and was content letting it go the distance.

Edited by Brent

UFC is in its infancy of popularity, regardless of how long the sport has been around. Boxing has been around over 200 years, and you are comparing fights 20-40 years ago, would be like comparing UFC fights 100 years from now. Im not saying Boxing is dead, because last night many watched a washed up 39 yr old get beat down by the so called best pound for pound fighter in the world. But where were the fireworks in that fight. It kinda reminded me of the rep the UFC is getting. Pac-Man never tried to finish him off, and was content letting it go the distance.

Its hard to finish off a defensive skilled veteran fighter that is in a defensive shell all night. Mosley sucked last night and should be ashamed of his performance. He felt Mannys power in the 3rd and never took another chance the rest of the night . It isnt Mannys fault that Floyd is ducking him as far as boxing missing out on its biggest fight in ages. As for Manny finishing him off, another point was that in the post fight interview Manny said his legs cramped up and it was something he has been dealing with in recent years

Edited by whomper

Its hard to finish off a defensive skilled veteran fighter that is in a defensive shell all night. Mosley sucked last night and should be ashamed of his performance. He felt Mannys power in the 3rd and never took another chance the rest of the night . It isnt Mannys fault that Floyd is ducking him as far as boxing missing out on its biggest fight in ages. As for Manny finishing him off, another point was that in the post fight interview Manny said his legs cramped up and it was something he has been dealing with in recent years

Yeah, Mosley started running after the knockdown in the 3rd, but the worrying part was that Pacquiao didn't seem too interested chasing him down, until the push in the 10th. If Manny started the fight the way he fought the last three rounds, it's over in 6. It's a little concerning because he held Margarito up for the last few rounds last fight, and then didn't have that rabid dog instinct against Mosley that he made his reputation on. If he fights Mayweather with that same attitude, he's going to lose.

Mosley has never fought scared like that before, and Manny has never fought so conservative before. It seemed early like Mosley was starting to figure out how to time the short uppercut when Manny lunges. Then after the knockdown he just stopped throwing. Disappointing, but still quite a spectacle. There will never be a better time for Mayweather to fight Manny. Manny hasn't looked sharp recently. Still, Mayweather is never going to fight him and risk his unblemished record. Sad, all the way around. Hopefully some of the up and comers and come quick and give Pacquiao a fight before he runs out of opponents and time. I watched the fight with about 200 Filipinos, what a crazy, crazy atmosphere. In that sense and many others, yes, MMA still has a long, long ways to go. 120 countries. Wow.

Ill tell you one thing ill be truthful about that is against my position in this thread. It seems the MMA fights contain 2-3 big or semi big fights between big names in the sport on a lot of their major cards. Boxing doesnt often do that so in many cases the card sinks or swims with the headliner. This weekend IMO Pacman / Mosley was awful but the fight right before it was awesome . You rarely see 2 majorly hyped fights on the same card in boxing.

I love both Boxing and MMA. But MMA is being played at Hooters and Buffalo Wild Wings in my area for free every card, and the place is packed and a great time. Boxing simply doesnt do that here, and I usually watch it on youtube, or espn or the next week on showtime to finally catch the fight and after knowing the winner, it takes alot away from the fight before I watch it.