[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bin Laden - Dead

The Irish Doggy

Let me do some quick translating for you folks

What has been reported:

"There are photographs of the body with a gunshot wound to the side of the head that shows an individual who is not unrecognizable as bin Laden, the official said. No decision has yet been made on whether to release the photographs and if so, when and how."

What that means:

As soon as their is a down tick in the media coverage of this event, the photos will be released. Given the sense of theater that Obama cultivated last night for the initial announcement, not a chance that they release all of the goodies in one shot. There will be a trickling out of details and then the photos over the coming 7 days or so. It's the politically astute thing to do to ensure that they get the most possible legs out of it.

He'll probably wait until November 7, 2011....or earlier if his poll numbers are waaay down to Palin/Bachmann.

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He'll probably wait until November 7, 2011....or earlier if his poll numbers are waaay down to Palin/Bachmann.

And anybody that thinks this announcement wasn't carefully planned to knock Trump off the air at the climax of his show is just naive. Nicely played Obama. Great at politics. Not so great at governing.

I am someone who doesn't trust our government very much and who thinks that Obama is possibly the worst President that we've ever had in this nation's history... but I don't doubt at all that our special forces bagged and tagged this SOB, and I also think that Obama's announcement had a fine bi-partisan tone, and he also found a good balance between giving props to the U.S. without rubbing it in the face of the enemy.

People who instantly think that this is a lie are missing out on the celebration!

And anybody that thinks this announcement wasn't carefully planned to knock Trump off the air at the climax of his show is just naive. Nicely played Obama. Great at politics. Not so great at governing.

I call bullchit on this one . . . .

Obama would have waited until the season finale of celebrity apprentice. MUCH higher ratings looss for Trump . . :wacko:

I call bullchit on this one . . . .

Obama would have waited until the season finale of celebrity apprentice. MUCH higher ratings looss for Trump . . :wacko:

No, I'm not saying the operation was timed. I'm saying the announcement was timed. I don't know the actual timeline of all this (but who among us does) but I would guess the precise timing on the announcement was purposeful. Come on man, you know it was.

That's just ridiculous. He is not that worried about Trump, whom he knifed in the back very effectively this week and made him a sideline show before Sunday night. The timing wasn't a pile on, it was to get ahead of the fact that there was a mansion burning in Pakistan and word was going to leak.

Or are you suggesting he waited to give the go order to coincide with an episode of the apprentice?

Trump is nothing more than a gnat that gets in Obamas face once in a while. He is no threat and im sure the timing had nothing to do with his show. We keep making Trump relevant when he truly isnt. It is laughable

Trump is nothing more than a gnat that gets in Obamas face once in a while. He is no threat and im sure the timing had nothing to do with his show. We keep making Trump relevant when he truly isnt. It is laughable

Wait, he was being serious about Obama timing his speech to interrupt Donald Trump's reality T.V. Show...................wow. :wacko:

Sohaib Athar (@ReallyVirtual), IT consultant who moved to Abbottabad for safety, was on Twitter, blogging the raid in real time:

tweet: "Helicopter hovering above Abbottabad at 1AM (is a rare event)."

tweet: "Go away helicopter - before I take out my giant swatter :-/"

tweet: "A huge window shaking bang here in Abbottabad Cantt. I hope its not the start of something nasty :-S"

tweet: "all silent after the blast, but a friend heard it 6 km away too... the helicopter is gone too."

tweet: "seems like my giant swatter worked!"

tweet: "the few people online at this time of the night are saying one of the copters was not Pakistani…"

tweet: "Funny, moving to Abbottabad was part of the 'being safe' strategy"

tweet: "Since taliban (probably) don't have helicpoters, and since they're saying it was not "ours", so must be a complicated situation"

tweet: "*hides his giant swatter*"

the last tweet has me cracking up

Bin Laden was found at luxury Pakistan compound

AP/Musadeq Sadeq

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – U.S. forces finally found al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden not in a mountain cave on Afghanistan's border, but with his youngest wife in a million-dollar compound in a summer resort just over an hour's drive from Pakistan's capital, U.S. officials said.

A small U.S. team conducted a night-time helicopter raid on the compound early on Monday. After 40 minutes of fighting, bin Laden and an adult son, one unidentified woman and two men were dead, the officials said.

U.S. forces were led to the fortress-like three-story building after more than four years tracking one of bin Laden's most trusted couriers, whom U.S. officials said was identified by men captured after the September 11, 2001 attacks.

"Detainees also identified this man as one of the few al Qaeda couriers trusted by bin Laden. They indicated he might be living with or protected by bin Laden," a senior administration official said in a briefing for reporters.

Bin Laden was finally found -- more than 9-1/2 years after the 2001 attacks on the United States -- after authorities discovered in August 2010 that the courier lived with his brother and their families in an unusual and extremely high-security building, officials said.

They said the courier and his brother were among those killed in the raid.

"When we saw the compound where the brothers lived, we were shocked by what we saw: an extraordinarily unique compound," a senior administration official said.

"The bottom line of our collection and our analysis was that we had high confidence that the compound harbored a high-value terrorist target. The experts who worked this issue for years assessed that there was a strong probability that the terrorist who was hiding there was Osama bin Laden," another administration official said.

The home is in Abbottabad, a town about 35 miles north of Islamabad, that is relatively affluent and home to many retired members of Pakistan's military.

It was a far cry from the popular notion of bin Laden hiding in some mountain cave on the rugged and inaccessible Afghan-Pakistan border -- an image often evoked by officials up to and including former President George W. Bush.

The building, about eight times the size of other nearby houses, sat on a large plot of land that was relatively secluded when it was built in 2005. When it was constructed, it was on the outskirts of Abbottabad's center, at the end of a dirt road, but some other homes have been built nearby in the six years since it went up, officials said.

WALLS TOPPED WITH BARBED WIRE

Intense security measures included 12- to 18-foot outer walls topped with barbed wire and internal walls that sectioned off different parts of the compound, officials said. Two security gates restricted access, and residents burned their trash, rather than leaving it for collection as did their neighbors, officials said.

Few windows of the three-story home faced the outside of the compound, and a terrace had a seven-foot (2.1 meter) privacy wall, officials said.

"It is also noteworthy that the property is valued at approximately $1 million but has no telephone or Internet service connected to it," an administration official said. "The brothers had no explainable source of wealth."

U.S. analysts realized that a third family lived there in addition to the two brothers, and the age and makeup of the third family matched those of the relatives -- including his youngest wife -- they believed would be living with bin Laden.

"Everything we saw, the extremely elaborate operational security, the brothers' background and their behavior and the location of the compound itself was perfectly consistent with what our experts expected bin Laden's hide-out to look like," another Obama administration official said.

Abbottabad is a popular summer resort, located in a valley surrounded by green hills near Pakistani Kashmir. Islamist militants, particularly those fighting in Indian-controlled Kashmir, used to have training camps near the town.

Screw you Pakistan . . . he wasnt being exactly subtle

That's just ridiculous. He is not that worried about Trump, whom he knifed in the back very effectively this week and made him a sideline show before Sunday night. The timing wasn't a pile on, it was to get ahead of the fact that there was a mansion burning in Pakistan and word was going to leak.

Or are you suggesting he waited to give the go order to coincide with an episode of the apprentice?

I'm not suggesting that at all. I'm also not completely excluding it. Yeah, he knifed Trump pretty good already, but Obama is a cold blooded political killer. Yes, I think the networks cutting off at 9:50 rather than 9:58 was just a twist of the knife in Trump. Petty? Yes. Maybe I'm just the most cynical bastard on the face of the earth, but that was the first thought that entered my head.

Can we leave the politics out of this?

Props to our SEALS for a job well done!

:wacko:

:tup:

Was jsut comnig on to post this. I was really hoping maybe we could stop with the conspiracy pissing match today... I couldn't happier to see my friends who were in Afghanistan and Iraq so exstatic about the news, after all they've gone through. :lol:

How about we let them and the victims feel some closure today, and save what we believe and don't believe for another day...

and about WMD's?

nufced

You are correct...the government did lie about wmds. Bush,Cheney, Clinton, Gore, Hillary, Kerry, Teddy, most of the world powers...they all lied. Or was it more that we gave the guy a whole freaking year to hide them. When the feds to a drug raid do they make an appointment with the drug dealer or do they surprise him at 5am? If they told the coke dealer for a year they were coming to his house to get him and his drugs, do you think he would keep them there? Good lord man.

The biggest conspiracy I can think of right now is how high up the chain of command in Pakistan did hiding Bin Laden go? Pakistan is not on our side.

Now that is an interesting point.

I am someone who doesn't trust our government very much and who thinks that Obama is possibly the worst President that we've ever had in this nation's history... but I don't doubt at all that our special forces bagged and tagged this SOB, and I also think that Obama's announcement had a fine bi-partisan tone, and he also found a good balance between giving props to the U.S. without rubbing it in the face of the enemy.

People who instantly think that this is a lie are missing out on the celebration!

pretty much. kudos to obama, panetta, gates, all the planners and obviously the guys who went in and got the SOB. 10 years of effort from a lot of people went in to this, and they all deserve to sit back and crack one open. special kudos to obama for having the balls to opt for the ground invasion over just bombing the chit out of the "mansion". he absolutely made the right call there IMO, even though it exposed the operation to a greater degree of risk. his speech was also very good.

one of the sources I've been following since all this broke is independent journalist michael yon on facebook. some of his updates...

Killed in a Mansion Outside Islamabad?

If true, this raises serious questions of Pakistan.

Also brings to mind the issue of Raymond Davis. Surely makes one wonder what Mr. Davis was doing.

Caution

Just heard a streaming opinion online that OBL's death will have a significant impact on the Afghanistan war. Important to keep in mind that the Taliban and many other groups probably couldn't care less about the death of an Arab who brought fire on them. The death of OBL will have minuscule or zero impact on Taliban.

Zawahiri Next?

Would be interested to know what if any documents and other evidence might have been stuffed into bags along with bin Laden's body. Bin Laden was very security-minded (obviously), but that doesn't mean he wasn't there with a trove of clues. This must be putting some fear into other AQ leaders. Would be good to know if we took any prisoners during the raid.

Report: Body will be dealt with according to Islamic Law

Why? We've been saying for years that OBL is not a representative Muslim. So why treat his body in accordance with Islamic law?

Break the Cult

I met with journalists some years ago in Washington. They knew I had studied cults for a couple of years, and asked what I would do with OBL if he were caught or killed: I would shave his body from head to toe, and show it to the world, naked as a jaybird. Nobody would be able to get the vision out of their head, that OBL was just a scrawny thing, now matted and dead.

High resolution photos of bin Laden with a bullet in his head should be released at once. We cannot allow bin Laden to become a permanent cult figure. The cult of Saddam in Iraq (Saddam had a strong cult) was badly damaged by the photos/videos of his death. This is not about another battle that we are now going to fight. The battle to break this cult

Without Good Photos, People will Not believe it

We must see photos of bin Laden dead. High resolution images should be released at once.

Bin Laden already Buried at Sea

Major mistake. OBL was/is a powerful cult figure who has vanished with no "death certificate." His body should have been displayed. The only thing more powerful than a living cult leader is one who disappears off the face of the earth. Making his body disappear was a deadly blunder that plays straight into the hero myth. Joseph Campbell couldn't have written a more terrible ending.

I don't necessarily agree that burial at sea was a bad idea, but I do think photos should be released and promptly.

I'm glad he was found in a "mansion" Not quite the monastic antimaterialist lifestyle that you would expect from a humble martyr. Propaganda-wise for the terrorists, it would have been worse for us if he had indeed been living in a cave.

Okay, now I am satisfied with my unease of the news.

As crappy as it may sound I wish we had the body to display on the white house lawn for all to see. This fracker's actions directly affected my family and I would love nothing more than to piss on his corpse.

The biggest conspiracy I can think of right now is how high up the chain of command in Pakistan did hiding Bin Laden go? Pakistan is not on our side.

apparently abbotobad is some sort of stronghold for the pakistani military and intelligence services. either they knew exactly where he was all along, or they are the most incompetent buffoons of any government on the planet. kinda sucks to be them today.

Bin Laden already Buried at Sea

Major mistake. OBL was/is a powerful cult figure who has vanished with no "death certificate." His body should have been displayed. The only thing more powerful than a living cult leader is one who disappears off the face of the earth. Making his body disappear was a deadly blunder that plays straight into the hero myth.

I disagree completely. Making bodies disappear without trace is exactly what was done post-Nuremberg. Does Yon think public display of the body wouldn't be seen as gloating and further inflame Bin Laden's sympathizers?

Edited by Ursa Majoris