[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Harmon Killabrew (Twins great and HOFer)

Gopher

Ugh... I remember seeing this a few months ago, and reading that a full recovery was expected. As a result, I didn't make a point to follow up on the story, and assumed Harmon was doing OK (actually, to be honest, I had forgotten about this completely). Granted, at 74, Harmon is no spring chicken, but he was in what would be considered pretty good health just six months ago. He found out in December that he had cancer... Five months later, he's told he has just a matter of days left. Just another reminder that life is short, and celebrities are not exempt from that. Although, anybody and everybody who knew/knows Mr. Killabrew will tell you that he is about as "down to earth" of a person as you will ever find. A true class act... He is one of the "good" people in sports, as well as his community, in every sense of the word.

Killebrew in final days of cancer battle

:wacko:

Hall of Famer Harmon Killebrew announced Friday morning that he is entering hospice and is in the final days of his battle with esophegeal cancer.

"My illness has progressed beyond my doctors' expectations of cure," Killebrew said, in a statement released by the Twins. "I am very comfortable taking this next step and experiencing the compassionate care that hospice provides."

Killebrew, who is 74, announced last December that he had been diagnosed with cancer. At the time, he said that he anticipated "a full recovery."

Killebrew played 22 seasons in the major leagues, beginning with the Washington Senators in 1954, when he was 18 years old. He moved with the franchise to Minnesota in 1961, and played with the Twins through 1974. Killebrew then played one season with the Royals before retiring.

Killebrew, an 11-time All-Star who was the American League's Most Valuable Player in 1969, was voted into the Hall of Fame in 1984, in his fourth year on the ballot.

In retirement, Killebrew was a familiar and welcome figure around the Twins, a pleasant man who never seemed to demand special treatment.

In his statement Friday, Killebrew thanked fans for the concern they've shown since the announcement that he has cancer.

"I look forward to spending my final days in comfort and peace with [wife] Nita by my side," he said.

anybody and everybody who knew/knows Mr. Killabrew will tell you that he is about as "down to earth" of a person as you will ever find. A true class act... He is one of the "good" people in sports, as well as his community, in every sense of the word.

All the current Twins, and all those that have gone before, think Harmon is a god. He goes to spring training every year, never has a bad word about anyone or anything and is far more than just a class act, still running his annual charity events.

This will leave a hole in the Twins organization that will never be filled.

The statue of Harmon outside Target Field

One of the main roads around the Mall of America is named after him.

Sad to hear.

:tup:

+1

When I was a teenager we would play that silly game where you name a ball player and the next guy had to either use the same first or last name of that player to name another ballplayer. We had a Harmon Killebrew rule where he wasn't allowed to be part of the game. :wacko:

Harmon K and Al Kaline were two of my absolute favorite players who did not play in NY when I was a kid. They were very much alike in a lot of ways. Both class acts. Both never looked to be in the spotlight and played team first baseball. Both played for small market teams and played most of their careers with those teams. Both legends in my mind. RIP Harmon. You gave me many moments of enjoyment when I did get to see you play.

Twins all-time highest home run leaders:

Rank	Player	Home Runs	Year1.	Harmon Killebrew	49	1964	Harmon Killebrew	49	19693.	Harmon Killebrew	48	19624.	Harmon Killebrew	46	19615.	Harmon Killebrew	45	19636.	Harmon Killebrew	44	19677.	Harmon Killebrew	42	1959	Roy Sievers	42	19579.	Harmon Killebrew	41	197010.	Harmon Killebrew	39	1966	Roy Sievers	39	1958

And still the only man other than Babe Ruth to hit over 40 for eight seasons or more.

Edited by Ursa Majoris

Nice tribute by the Mariners at Safeco Field last night when hosting the Twins. He was a bit before my time and isn't one of the legends that you hear talked about as often as some others, but they certainly portrayed him as an incredible player, but more importantly a guy that did everything and treated everybody the right way.

Just google his name today, and you'll find dozens of links to various articles about him, including lots of comments/tributes from past and present players, managers, and fans. Twin Michael Cuddyer calls Killabrew the third most influential person in his life, besides his parents. Joe Madden, manager of the Tampa Rays, had this to say, in a recent tweet:

A thought about Harmon Killebrew today. Whenever I was with him he was so gracious and humble he made ME feel like I was the Hall of Famer.

That's a pretty good example of how he treated people, and how they felt about him, as a result. :wacko: