Sign in to follow this  
detlef

Curt Schilling

OK, first off, I applaud the guy for his work with autism. Honestly, any time these guys devote their name and resources to good causes, it is obviously a good thing. I just want to make that abundantly clear.

That said.

There's a radio campaign for autism awareness that plays on my local sports radio. They have famous people who have kids with autism talk about how unlikely it is to have done the things they've done, but how much more likely it is to have a kid with autism. Very effective. Perhaps you've heard one of the ads. They speak in 3rd person and obviously you have to cut some slack because they're saying all these cool things they've done. You have to assume that they don't make a habit of propping themselves up.

But today, I'm listening, and this guy is really laying it on thick. Using all these superlatives. By the time he refers to himself as a "philanthropic flame thrower", my eyes are rolling. "Dude, we get it. You're freaking rad."

Imagine my surprise when he revealed he was Curt Schilling. Never saw that coming in a million years. :wacko:

OK, first off, I applaud the guy for his work with autism. Honestly, any time these guys devote their name and resources to good causes, it is obviously a good thing. I just want to make that abundantly clear.

That said.

There's a radio campaign for autism awareness that plays on my local sports radio. They have famous people who have kids with autism talk about how unlikely it is to have done the things they've done, but how much more likely it is to have a kid with autism. Very effective. Perhaps you've heard one of the ads. They speak in 3rd person and obviously you have to cut some slack because they're saying all these cool things they've done. You have to assume that they don't make a habit of propping themselves up.

But today, I'm listening, and this guy is really laying it on thick. Using all these superlatives. By the time he refers to himself as a "philanthropic flame thrower", my eyes are rolling. "Dude, we get it. You're freaking rad."

Imagine my surprise when he revealed he was Curt Schilling. Never saw that coming in a million years. :wacko:

I hate people who give and then pat themselves on the back for it. Give out of your heart, not because you want recognition.

And that was NOT blood on the sock. Drama queen...

One of the biggest glory hound drama queens in all of sports. Hate that guy

So, we are kicking a guy that's donating his time to raise money for autism, and for doing exactly what every other person who does one of these commercials for the cause does, but being a little better at making the accomplishments sound great and unusual for the comparison?

Just checking.

So, we are kicking a guy that's donating his time to raise money for autism, and for doing exactly what every other person who does one of these commercials for the cause does, but being a little better at making the accomplishments sound great and unusual for the comparison?

Just checking.

And I'm sure that Schilling wrote the frickin' commercial too. And recorded it in his basement, or maybe he just does it live every single time it's on. In fact, I'm pretty sure Schilling invented commercials. And radio.

:wacko: