[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

::Darth Vader:: Most Impressive ::/Darth Vader::

cliaz

So they gave that guy Britain's second highest award for bravery, while the United States gives the Medal of Honor, its highest award, to a guy who picked up a grenade and tossed it in another direction. link

:wacko:

So they gave that guy Britain's second highest award for bravery, while the United States gives the Medal of Honor, its highest award, to a guy who picked up a grenade and tossed it in another direction. link

:wacko:

Until you pick up a live grenade that someone threw at you, I wouldn't start acting like any puss would do it. It said he lost a hand, but I don't know if it is from that specific grenade or something else that happened. The guy did 2 tours in Iraq and 6 in Afghanistan. I'm fine with giving him whatever metal they have available.

Until you pick up a live grenade that someone threw at you, I wouldn't start acting like any puss would do it. It said he lost a hand, but I don't know if it is from that specific grenade or something else that happened. The guy did 2 tours in Iraq and 6 in Afghanistan. I'm fine with giving him whatever metal they have available.

I agree with you on this one.

http://www.army.mil/article/58595/Wounded_...r_action_in___/

An Army Ranger who lost his right hand and suffered shrapnel wounds after throwing an armed grenade away from his fellow Soldiers will be the second living Medal of Honor Recipient from the conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan.....

The two Soldiers entered the courtyard. To their front was an opening followed by a chicken coop. As the two crossed the open area, an enemy insurgent fired on them. Petry was wounded by one round, which went through both of his legs. Robinson was also hit in his side plate by a separate round.

While wounded and under enemy fire, Petry led Robinson to the cover of the chicken coop. The enemy continued to deliver fire at the two Soldiers....

With three Soldiers taking cover in the chicken coop, an enemy fighter threw another grenade at them. This time, the grenade landed just a few feet from Higgins and Robinson.

Recognizing the threat that the enemy grenade posed to his fellow Rangers, Petry -- despite his own wounds and with complete disregard for his personal safety -- consciously and deliberately risked his life to move to and secure the live enemy grenade and consciously throw the grenade away from his fellow Rangers, according to battlefield reports.

As Petry released the grenade in the direction of the enemy, preventing the serious injury or death of Higgins and Robinson, it detonated and catastrophically amputated his right hand.

I knew that this would happened.

I'm not suggesting that what the guy did wasn't heroic. Of course it was. But the Medal of Honor? That's given to men that fall on grenades. Men that know that they are going to die but acted anyway to save the lives of others. I think thats a bit different than being wounded because you weren't fortunate enough to have picked up the thing a couple seconds sooner. Had he done that and the grenade detonated far enough away so that he wasn't injured, he doesn't get the MOH. What if it detonated the moment that he touched it and one of those guys nearby was killed? No MOH.

I see a big difference between the two acts, and I think that one of them deserves more recognition. If you think I'm denigrating Petry, you're wrong, but ain't nothing that I can do about that.