[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Steaks

Brentastic

What's the best procedure for flavoring your steak with a dry rub? In this case, the rub consists of, salt, sugar, spices, dehydrated garlic, onion, red bell pepper, parsley and green onion. So, I'm going to let the steaks sit out until grilling time so they will be close to room temp. My question is should I put the rub on now and let it sit on there all day or rub a short while before grilling?

Also, should I puncture meat with a fork before or after seasoning to get the rub to filter into the meat?

I know these are probably rookie questions but they are questions I've never known the answer to.

Here's the best procedure for using dry rub with a good piece of beef before grilling:

1) Take you steaks out of the refrigerator about 20-30 minutes before you are going to put them on the grill.

2) Get your grill as hot as you can.

3) In a casserole dish or bowl, mix the ingredients for your dry rub.

4) Brush some olive oil on each side of the steak.

5) Season each side of the steak with fresh ground pepper and sea salt.

6) Pick up the container of your rub, and carefully dump the rub into the garbage.

7) Grill steaks.

I'm joking. Mostly.

If I have a piece of beef that isn't right for grilling in the above fashion (like flank steak), I'll marinate it. You're supposed to put dry rubs on the flesh just before grilling. The problem that I've seen is that the rub burns. To combat that, it is suggested that you use less heat, which adversely effects the grilling process, IMO.

And never puncture a steak with a fork (or anything else) before its on your plate.

Edited by Furd

so basically olive oil and seasoning - right?

With good beef, I think so. You don't want to mask its flavor, which is why you shelled out the $$$ for it in the first place. The salt and pepper compliments the flavor.

Its kind of like liquor. Why buy the premium Grey Goose vodka (or whatever) if you're going to dump tonic or cranberry or, heaven forbid, Red Bull in it?

Well, I'm definitely using the rub. I bought it specifically for the steaks and it's a local rub made by butcher where I bought the steaks. I mean, it's very similar to seasoning as far as granular size (slightly more chunky in spots).

I was more concerned about when to put the rub on. It seems to me the longer it's on the better it will season?

I believe Caveman Nick mentioned this many years ago, and it's what I do before I grill. When the meat is at room temp, work a little red wine vinegar on to the meat...I prefer strips - and then put your rub on lightly, it's not so dry. 5 minutes or so and fire em up. May not be chef material, but it does the job. Never pierce your steaks with a fork. Let them sit 10 minutes before you eat.

I like a good dry rub on my steak. IMO, it enhances the flavor of the meat. I'll usually put the rub on & let the steaks sit @ room temp for about 30 minutes (if they have been in the fridge).

Don't let a rub sit on the meat too long, as the salt will sap the moisture out of the meat and dry it out.

:tup: Dry! The enemy! My mother is a well-done orderer in resturaunts. When the waitress responds with a "are you sure" I speak for her and say ...

"just cut it in half and burn the shit out of it". :wacko:

Edited by Scooby's Hubby

so basically olive oil and seasoning - right?

Furd nailed it. Try this. Olive oil, black pepper, adobo. You wont regret it

• 2 weeks later...