[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NFL sunday ticket

frenzal rhomb

Just got the directv flyer 53.99 x 6 payments this year - last year I called and got ten bucks off a month to 39.99 x 6. I know some did better but Im ok at 39.99 x 6. Anyone call yet to dispute?? I want to call and threaten to cancel but I alos fear they say - ok, thanks alot - enjoy the network games

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since I'm going to half the games (all the home games) or close to it - 8 of the 17 weeks - I'm either getting half off, or not getting it this year. This pricing is out of hand. "But look at the price per game per week." OK... I did. Again - half off or I'm not getting it. I have been a very ardent supporter of DTV, and think they're a good provider. I think I've just reached my proverbial tipping point on this cost.

Since I'm going to half the games (all the home games) or close to it - 8 of the 17 weeks - I'm either getting half off, or not getting it this year. This pricing is out of hand. "But look at the price per game per week." OK... I did. Again - half off or I'm not getting it. I have been a very ardent supporter of DTV, and think they're a good provider. I think I've just reached my proverbial tipping point on this cost.

i look at the price per week - its 19.05, thats a lot for one day of TV when an entire month of cable is 80 bucks - and you know they can deliver it at a profit for much less than that cost.

This. Last year, I paid $180 (four payments of $44.99, I believe), and I know some people got an even better deal than that. If the season stays the same length, I'll do the same deal, but I don't plan on paying any more than that. If the season is shortened, it's going to have to be even less.

I know one thing... I think DirecTV is about as desperate as they've ever been, considering all of the competition/alternatives that customers have to choose from. Not necessarily NFL fans, but customers in general. Example... I called yesterday, to cancel Showtime. They had given me six months free, back in November, for being a loyal customer (and it was perfect timing for the new season of Dexter), but I forgot to cancel when the six months ended (a month or so ago). Anyway, when I told them I wanted to cancel, they promptly said they would reduce my Showtime from $12 per month to just $2 per month. I probably should have said no thanks, given how often I watch it, but for 2 bucks a month, I figured it's worth keeping.

I think they're willing to negotiate just about anything, these days... You just have to be somewhat persistent, and talk to the right person/department.

I honestly hate cable, dish, and all the other companies that hype up too much for too little.

I cancelled my cable a little over a year ago and haven't been happier. I pay $50 a month for internet so I can hit up sites like hulu.com and access netflicks. (which I pay $10 a month) I still watch all my favorite shows but it's just a day or so later.

Now the 1 thing that i do miss is Sportscenter. Nothing like that on the internet that i can find... As for live NFL games good old fox, and abc sports always have 2 games on a week (main Browns coverage sense I live just outside Cleveland) with an HD antenna. So I don't miss the games I really want to see.

Yup.

Will probably cancel outright if the lockout goes into the season at all. Will only keep sunday ticket if I can get it close to half off. The teams I typically watch, I get a decent amount of their games on regional coverage. It was nice to have one year of every game, but with small children it's just not practical that I'll get to sit around and enjoy all that many games. I'd be psyched if I could pay $100 and just get every game from one team.

It simply got to be too expensive and when the NFL channel came on and started the Thursday night games DTV didn't reduce the price, they jacked it up more. NFL Sunday ticket is just not worth the cost. I don't care how into fantasy football and watching football I am it is not worth the cost.

Just got the directv flyer 53.99 x 6 payments this year - last year I called and got ten bucks off a month to 39.99 x 6. I know some did better but Im ok at 39.99 x 6. Anyone call yet to dispute?? I want to call and threaten to cancel but I alos fear they say - ok, thanks alot - enjoy the network games

They won't. They're in the customer retention department. They lose if you leave. They'll work with you to a point.

NFL Sunday ticket is just not worth the cost. I don't care how into fantasy football and watching football I am it is not worth the cost.

The alternative for me sucks. Being a Packer fan in Dallas means that I get to see the Night games, and maybe 2 Sunday day games. So I would have to go to a bar 12-14 Sundays. Food+Booze per Sunday outweighs what I would spend on the ticket.

I can't believe I actually paid for that crap for several years. You end up just flipping back and forth and missing everything good. I've settled in with watching the network games, having my laptop fired up to track other games and my fantasy teams.

Or, on certain Sundays, actually leave the house and go enjoy the company of other fans and watch at a bar and watch games simultaneously on a couple TVs.

I can't believe I actually paid for that crap for several years. You end up just flipping back and forth and missing everything good. I've settled in with watching the network games, having my laptop fired up to track other games and my fantasy teams.

Or, on certain Sundays, actually leave the house and go enjoy the company of other fans and watch at a bar and watch games simultaneously on a couple TVs.

I've had the Sunday ticket for the last several years and like you I prefer to watch full games. So what I do is watch the channel where you get 8 games on one channel. Sure, each game is small but if you have a large TV (50 inch here) it's not so bad and you can actually see it fine. And while you aren't watching full games, I usually zone in on 1 or 2 and get the full game experience. I dunno, for me the ticket is great but I could live without it too. I'm not so attached that I need to have it. So like others, if I can't get it for $150 like I usually do, I won't keep it. I'll be happy watching network games and keeping up with stats online, which I do anyways (watch stats online). I definitely have the leverage over DTV.

I've had the Sunday ticket for the last several years and like you I prefer to watch full games. So what I do is watch the channel where you get 8 games on one channel. Sure, each game is small but if you have a large TV (50 inch here) it's not so bad and you can actually see it fine. And while you aren't watching full games, I usually zone in on 1 or 2 and get the full game experience. I dunno, for me the ticket is great but I could live without it too. I'm not so attached that I need to have it. So like others, if I can't get it for $150 like I usually do, I won't keep it. I'll be happy watching network games and keeping up with stats online, which I do anyways (watch stats online). I definitely have the leverage over DTV.

Yeah I can't afford a fancy TV, so I just have a 32" or so, flat-ish screen jobber.

Now, when I was single and had disposable income, I paid the $150 or whatever it was back then, and sat there all day and flipped through games, chilled on the laptop, and would mow chili dogs. :wacko:

I'm sure the experience would be better on an HDTV, but no such luck. I literally watch on a little 13" in my office and pay more attention to the laptop.

Now, for the Sunday Night game, I'll usually go out and watch on the "big" screen. And for MNF, I'm almost always at a bar with friends.

I don't think I'll ever get the Ticket again. Even once I pony up for the HDTV. :tup:

Still willing to pay for it. I don't have any interest in being force-fed Arizona (or Denver, get a lot of those here also) games. And Generally, if the Cowboys aren't on, then I tune in whatever game interests me.

But, I don't have kids, and the wife usually works Sundays (because she knows she isn't going to get anything out of me) so I have nothing to do but watch football.

I'm sure the experience would be better on an HDTV, but no such luck. I literally watch on a little 13" in my office and pay more attention to the laptop.

Good lord man, I don't know how you do it. I think it must be the whole ignorance is bliss thing. I bought a projector a few years back and painted a wall to make a theater room. A 120" screen in your basement for not very much money is the best investment evah! Unfortunately I just have to DVR the game and wait for the kids to sleep before I really enjoy it.

Good lord man, I don't know how you do it. I think it must be the whole ignorance is bliss thing. I bought a projector a few years back and painted a wall to make a theater room. A 120" screen in your basement for not very much money is the best investment evah! Unfortunately I just have to DVR the game and wait for the kids to sleep before I really enjoy it.

:wacko: I dunno, I guess I have the blinders on... if I can't watch it in brilliant HD, there's no reason to watch on some regular-tube TV with the wife doing Sunday chores around me. So I head to the back of the house, get some writing done on the laptop, "watch" games on CBS Sportsline Game Tracker, hang in The Huddle's chat room :tup: and I have a bed in the office :lol: ... to grab a quick cat-nap.

Now, if I ever get the fundage for an HDTV, I'm sure my butt would be out in the main living area. :rofl:

Now, when I was single just married with no kids and had disposable income, I paid the $150 or whatever it was back then, and sat there all day and flipped through games, chilled on the laptop, and would mow chili dogs the wife. :tup: We have a baby, now so I just mow chilli dogs and watch football on Sundays:wacko:

FIXED

Edited by Scooby's Hubby

I had directtv last year and recently moved. Even being an existing customer they were going to give me the entire package free if I bundled with AT&T. Unfortunately the new place doesn't have reception view so no go for me. But here's he thing: they ARE desperate and their bundles are blowing TW cable out of the water. If you just called and bluffed your way though starting a cancellation process they will buckle and cough it up. If not, you need new phone skills. Seriously, just call up and sheepishly say you're going with another provider bla blah blah and theyll begin bribing you - starting with free HBO but hold out.

The only reason we went to DTV probably 7 years ago was for the Ticket.

I won't pay the price anymore. Plus the reception cuts in and out......now because of the WIND....as best I can tell. Once we get the new carpet etc. in, we'll be going elsewhere. :wacko:

So all the above being said. Has anybody called to negotiate a better price on Sunday ticket yet? I guess with the lockout going, I'm not sure if now is the time to do it. Possibly it's the best time, I just figured I'd see if anybody has made the call.

So all the above being said. Has anybody called to negotiate a better price on Sunday ticket yet? I guess with the lockout going, I'm not sure if now is the time to do it. Possibly it's the best time, I just figured I'd see if anybody has made the call.

I was actually thinking about calling in the next day or two as I see it, it might be the best possible time to call and negotiate. I can approach it from the angle of "look, I am not paying a dime more than last year $30 x 6 payments...and if you agree to that you can lock me in IF the season starts on time...otherwise I will be calling back later to cancel and/or negotiate again along with many other folks." They may just be desperate enough to talk now and "bank" at least 1 returning customer even if at a reduced rate?

I'll let you folks know what happens...

KO'd

If you can't talk your way into getting free then you are failing. Also, when I had my deal place it was for the next season played so if 2011 scratches they would have comped 2012. Seriously there's nothing to lose if you say "AT&T bundle looks good."

When I called and canceled my DirecTV service over a year ago, they tried to give me EVERYTHING for $20 per month. I said no. They then offered everything free for a few months. I still turned them down. I did miss the Sunday Ticket, but I didn't miss anything else the rest of the year. If the Red Zone channel was offered online, I would be very, very happy.