[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NFL sunday ticket

frenzal rhomb

Switch to Dish...."RED ZONE" is way better than the ticket (mainly price).....feel good about Sunday's without costing me an arm and a toe.....feel like Tom Dempsey when I was with Direct TV......just saying!! HEY DIRECT TV!!! :wacko:

This. I used to subscribe to Sunday Ticket, but for pennies on the dollar, Red Zone is a viable alternative. It's not a good solution for homers that want to catch every second of their homer team. But for fantasy football fans just looking to see all of the action going on around the league, it's perfect. In fact, when I was a Sunday Ticket subscriber, I constantly found myself missing out on key plays because I just didn't have the right game on at the right time. Hopefully RedZone stays cheap.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got $20/month for 12mo off my base package and $25 off ST for 6 months. So that's $390-$324= they are paying me $66 for the ticket this year. I'll take those credits. Gonna try to call back and get more though.

And I just got another $100 credit, free movies for 2 months, and a free wireless adapter for that cinema plus stuff. Not bad!

Directv also has a $100 refer a friend program where both customers get $100 off their bill (I think it is 10 of per month for 10 months)....so if anyone is going to sign up as a new customer and wants to take advantage of that discount you can feel free to PM me and I can submit you as a referral and we both can get an extra $10 off :wacko:

Funny how each rep gives you a different deal. I called and said I'm moving and decided to switch to AT&T Uverse because they offer TV, internet and phone for just $120 per month. He pointed out that I'm under contract until Dec. 2012 so I would pay a cancellation penalty of $320 and I said that's okay, I'll save more than that by switching to AT&T. I also mentioned that my whole-house DVR craps out all the time and I'm sick of it. Here is what I ended up with:

$15 off my base package per month for 24 months

$7 off my HD DVR package per month for 12 months

$120 lump sum credit to bring Sunday Ticket down from $334 to $214 for the season

Total savings: $564

Plus he set up my move and scheduled the tech to come install at the new address. I mentioned I'm eventually going to ditch a standard receiver and upgrade to HD in one of the rooms but not right now, so could the tech just run the cable to the room where I will eventually have the HD TV? Answer: no, we have to have the TV set up in that room. And if I do that at a later date, they would charge me for the new HD box and send a tech out again to install it. If I do it with the move, the new box is free. So, I have the perfect excuse for my wife why we need to get a new TV now. :wacko:

So I was happy with my deal, then I see you guys getting the ticket for $84 to my $214. I call back, threaten to cancel again (yes, I'm under contract through end of 2012), nice Fatima tells me there is a new promotion with their Movers Connection -- since I'm moving, she removes the ticket from my account, then re-adds it for free. The first installment had already billed, so she took it off. So I get the same savings as I posted above, minus another $214 for the ticket for a total of $778 in savings. Ridiculous. I feel like I could call back in a month and get them to pay me for remaining a customer.

This. I used to subscribe to Sunday Ticket, but for pennies on the dollar, Red Zone is a viable alternative. It's not a good solution for homers that want to catch every second of their homer team. But for fantasy football fans just looking to see all of the action going on around the league, it's perfect. In fact, when I was a Sunday Ticket subscriber, I constantly found myself missing out on key plays because I just didn't have the right game on at the right time. Hopefully RedZone stays cheap.

I love red zone, but I'm a Giants fan, my wife is an Eagles fan, and we both like to watch every second of our teams' games. We'd pay $400 for the ticket if we had to, but directv is so generous with their retention deals it's a no-brainer. When the giants aren't on and there isn't a jets-pats or ravens-steelers type game on, I will sit and watch red zone for the 3 hours.

DirecTV has a channel with 8 games at once. I don't miss any plays unless I'm watching the Red Zone

Hey I just want to let you guys know my experience with DirecTv this past Friday.

I got the whole Sunday Ticket for free after multiple conversations. NOW I must preface this with some facts. I had sort of a "perfect storm".

My contract expires THIS September 14 so that I am sure gave me a ton of leverage.

I told them my whole TRUE story. I do have a triple play with Cablevision (NY) which I get all three services-internet, cable and phone for $82/ month. I got this deal because I told Cablevision I had DirecTv and was going to cancel them and bundle with DTV. Cablevision told me I could have all three of their services for $82 if I provide them with my DTV bill as proof.

I also told DTV (nicely) that I love the Sunday Ticket but I am a Giants fan (local) and I was paying less for all three services with Cablevision than I am for just their comprable TV package (Choice Extra $90 with 2 DVRs and HD).

I went through a long conversation with a rep who said his very best offer was $20/ month off my regualr bill for 12 months.

I said "thank you so much but it is still too expensive considering just having the Directv is a luxury since I have all three services already."

We started to set up a date for canceling and I even asked him if he would remove the dish from my roof and if I keep any of the DVR boxes (Because I own one of them).

This is when in the middle of setting up the cancellation date he stopped and said "Sir I have one last offer for you. I can waive the Sunday Ticket fee altogether and keep your DirecTv free HD (which I was getting already)."

I paused and danced around my house silently and calmly said "okay that would be good".

I asked If I needed to keep any particular package to keep the free Sunday Ticket and he said no. Even better.

I hope this helps some people. Again, I was fortunate to have my contract expiring September 14 of this year and I explained to him how having DirecTv was a luxury and he did understand this. This will be my 3rd year having DirecTv and the Sunday Ticket.

Good luck everyone.

Just got off the phone with Directv. Went straight to customer retention. BSed with the rep, who was very friendly. Asked him if there was any penalty for canceling my service since I was close to moving, and wanted to bundle my tv with ATT, which i have for everything else. only thing keeping me was NFL ticket, which has just become too expensive. He informed me that ATT uverse now bundles with Directv, which I didnt know and thought I was going to lose it right there. More BS and I told him I thought it wasnt right for new customers to get ticket free, not existing. at this point, he never would answer my original question, so I know my contract had expired. so I know i have the option to cancel and resign, which they would be stupid to do because it would cost them more money. so he then goes on to say he had a bunch of offers if I wanted to fix everything right now. he offered me 22 bucks off a month for the next year. he then offered me 5 bucks off for the next 2 years. im sure these could have been things I never have called on but could have gotten. he then gave me ticket for free, which i was not expecting. i gladly accepted. he reminded me that i have been a customer for 9 years and that they were all about keepning tenured customers. on a side note, he was asking me football questions and bengals questions which were hilarious. he had no clue. he then informed me that hed been to dayton before to see the hall of fame. didnt have the heart to tell him im about 3 hours away from CANTON, where i believe the hall of fame still is, unless it moved to my backyard and no one informed me. Anyway, i feel i got a pretty good deal and more than i expected. dont know if was just the perfect storm of expired contract, moving soon, long time custoemr, and good rep, but it was very smooth and only about 10 minutes. i almost feel like i coulda got more, but wasnt too greedy. anyway, good luck everyone. hope this helps. ready for some football!!!

EDIT TO ADD: very similar to previous post. didnt see that until after my post. this may be the way to go if you are in our scenario!

Edited by rcswildcat

I just called and didn't have it in me to haggle as much this year...I ended up getting my Sunday Ticket for $84 (6 payments of $13.99 each). I was okay with that and really enjoyed not having to argue at all this time. I just told my customer retention person that I didn't think it was fair at all that new subscribers were going to be able to get the ST for free...she said she'd give it to me for what I paid last year but then I said I would hope my 7 years as a customer would sway her into being able to give me a better deal even....she then threw in a one time $40 credit as well as lowering my payments to $13.99/mo for 6 months. I have seen others commenting above here that they are getting it for free but I just didn't have the energy to haggle harder and at $84 I am very happy - lowest I have ever paid by far,

Good luck all.

KO'd

Quick question, when you call in do you just specifically ask for retention? Do you put your # in first or do you just input nothing and ask for retention when you eventually talk to someone? Or is it just automatic that when you hit the cancel option you go to retention? I got a $100 credit for some bill screw ups but I want to see if they'll broker me a deal for sunday ticket.

Quick question, when you call in do you just specifically ask for retention? Do you put your # in first or do you just input nothing and ask for retention when you eventually talk to someone? Or is it just automatic that when you hit the cancel option you go to retention? I got a $100 credit for some bill screw ups but I want to see if they'll broker me a deal for sunday ticket.

just call and say cancel at the first 2 prompts. That will get you to retention. They won't announce themselves as retention but it will be that dept.

I said "cancel NFL ticket" at the voice prompt. I think anything with the word "cancel" in it sends you to retention where the real action is. The guy I got said they get a small perk for keeping customers. Sounds like the $84 is somewhat standard for returning customers who threatened to cancel.

I said "customer retention" at the first automated prompt. Second prompt asks what your call is about..."change service or cancel service" at that prompt I said "cancel service" and the next (and only) person I dealt with was a customer retention rep. Her name was Heather and her employee # was 442562.

Hope that helps, but it does kind of sound like they are authorized to go down to $84 without hardly any haggling.

KO'd

Called DirecTV this morning... Seemed to be more work to get discounts this year than ever before. I talked to 2 people who offered me the same $20 a month/6 months off on my premium service and no discount on the NFL package..

Called again and just flat out said Id like to cancel my Premium package and NFL package.. Got transfered to the people who remove the packages. He told me as far as canceling the premium, the next lower package would be $42 less a month, and the offer he gave me was a $35/month discount for 6 months on that, so it would only cost me $7 a month for the premium.. I tried pushing for 12 months but it was a no go, and he basically said in 6 months you can call back and ask for the same thing.. I accepted.

I then said everyone is getting the HD access free for 24 months and I want that, all 3 people said the same thing, you have to auto bill pay to get that, so I bucked up and signed up for auto bill pay.

I then said I want to cancel my NFL package, and the best offer I could get was that I have to wait until I get billed for it next month, and then call back and he can give me a $20/month discount on the NFL.. He put his employee ID in the the notes with that offer, and also gave me his employee ID. I will call back before I get billed again & try to work an offer, but for today thats it..

So far I guess its a discount of $550, and to be honest thats nice, but I dont think im getting much more than the standard discount offers. And even if I get the $20/month on the NFL that would bring me to a $770 discount wich sounds nice, but I think you can do better.

I think I went about this the wrong way, and I think your best bet is to call up and just flat out say u want to cancel your entire DirecTV service. Get transfered to the people who remove it, and then when they ask tell them that yes it is a money issue and give them a story nicely.. I think you will get your biggest/best discounts this way. And dont worry about "what if they just say ok & cancel".. Its not going to happen, they will offer you many times before they cancel.. And if they do say ok lets just cancel this, bite the bullet and just say wait, I need to talk to my wife or something before this is final & that you will call back.. Theres no shame to be had.. Good Luck..

*And If it comes to waiting until I get billed for the NFL, I am going to push hard for more than $20/month off..

Called back today, Got a real nice chick from retention. Had a nice convo, she told me all about New Mexico.. Got the $20 off per month on the NFL pack, and then she added another $50 credit to my bill for this month.. I guess in total its $820 saved for a few phone calls..

they gave me 6 more months of HD free (already had 2 years)= $60

$5 off of HBO for 6 months= $30

$8 off of bill for 12 months= $96

so: $186 off

i am very happy to pay about $10/week for every non-blacked out game

I called yesterday. For what it's worth, I'm still under contract, but only until mid-September. I gave the guy the story about how I was looking at other cheaper options and the only reason I'm with DirecTV is because of the football package, but that's too expensive. He took a look at my account and came back with half off (four payments of $40). I hemmed and hawed and said I would think about it and call back. He came back with no DVR charge and some other stuff that totaled $17 off for 12 months. I took it. I think it basically comes out to free Sunday Ticket.

One thing: I forgot to ask about Superfan. That's included now, right? It's not extra?

Just called and explained that I just had basement remodeled (true) and was considering switching to U-Verse (not true) and I wanted to cancel. I also then said I was wishy washy on it but just saw my statement and the cost of Sunday Ticket is what put me over the edge. Also mentioned it was not fair that new customers got it free and I have been with Directv since 2004 and I get hosed.

She asked if she could check her discount offers and came back like 5 minutes later and right off the bat offered Sunday ticket for free and then shocked me with $10 off original programming for 12 months.

I took it and am a happy camper.

I called yesterday. For what it's worth, I'm still under contract, but only until mid-September. I gave the guy the story about how I was looking at other cheaper options and the only reason I'm with DirecTV is because of the football package, but that's too expensive. He took a look at my account and came back with half off (four payments of $40). I hemmed and hawed and said I would think about it and call back. He came back with no DVR charge and some other stuff that totaled $17 off for 12 months. I took it. I think it basically comes out to free Sunday Ticket.

One thing: I forgot to ask about Superfan. That's included now, right? It's not extra?

Similar to my situation. I called today, went straight to "Cancel" and ended up with this dude that I didn't particularly jive with. He seemed sorta new and reading scripts and even tried explaining to me the difference between red zone channel and Sunday Ticket at one point :wacko: . Anyway, this was one of the first times I didn't mind pushing it a bit at the expense of the guy on the other end.

I knew my contract was either up or ending soon so I asked to confirm that I could cancel without penalty. He checked and said I had one more month until September to which I said "that's great news!" He immediately asked why I was asking following his script. I gave him the line about only having DTV for Sunday Ticket and now it's too expensive and my monthly bill is higher than I can get elsewhere so I will probably be switching in September. He immediately offers me Ticket for 1/2 price getting a casual no. Then he offers to take off an additional $10/month for 12 months (I already have the $10HD discount for 24 months). This is where him being a bit of a Shark Vac helped. I said, "I think you can do better" and he asks me to hold while he talks to his supervisor. Comes back and offers me Sunday Ticket for FREE this year. Reads me all the disclaimers about how I have to cancel it next year in advance to avoid being charged, etc. Then I ask, "Hey, what about that $10/month?" and his reply was and I quote "My manager said I could give you $5/month IF YOU ASKED."

This is a game to them so I no longer feel bad about playing it. I'd rather be a lower profit customer for my own good if they are willing to deal. I have no doubt I can call back in September after my contract and mention the ticket being ho/hum and stuff is still too expensive and I'll get that $5 and probably more.

Here's what I just got:

(I'm already a premier monthly customer, and have several months left on a prior $10/month HD access discount as well as a $10/month premeir discount)

In addition to the remaining amounts on my prior discounts above, I was offered:

A cumulative $228 over the next 6 months for my Premier (via a variety of discounts on Sports package, HBO Starz, etc) ($228)

a promise of another 12 months of $10 discount to HD when the current 12 month discount expires) (a future $120)

$20 off on my Sunday Ticket for 6 months ($120)

$50 lump sum immediate credit. ($50)

Should I pitch for better or leave well enough alone?

Would love more off the S Ticket itself. And the guy didn't beleive that anyone else got a pair of $20 monthly discounts off ST even though I told him that several people have been getting it.

Edited by Dcat

Not sure if anyone answered this or not? SuperFan is no longer an extra fee - it's free and I think it was also free last year too.

KO'd