[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Baseball realignment

SLAYER

But Swammi, don't kid yourself...the evolution of baseball has gotten rid of pitchers 'practicing' their hitting a long time ago. Outside of a few exceptions, they all suck. I love strategy as much as anyone but I'd rather watch an athletic event with athletes who have the best chance of succeeding. Let me know when the 'chess' channel gets on DirectTV and I'll tune in for strategy.

Don't kid yourself: if they got rid of the DH, pitchers would hit better than AL mainstays do now.

of course not...just the guys who are in the game...like the starting pitcher.

What about Detlef's post about specialization? Why should baseball players be jacks of all trades while football has taken specialization to ridiculous degrees where even offensive linemen can only play one particular position on the line?

The strategy in baseball is a big part of it in my book. There is very little in-game strategy in the A.L., and there are tons of strategic options during an N.L. game. I would agree with those that think the DH is better, but, then we would all be wrong.

"I believe in the soul ... the small of a woman's back, the hanging curveball, high fiber, good scotch, that the novels of Susan Sontag are self-indulgent, overrated crap. I believe Lee Harvey Oswald acted alone. I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing Astroturf and the designated hitter." - Crash Davis (Kevin Costner) in Bull Durham (1988)

The strategy in baseball is a big part of it in my book. There is very little in-game strategy in the A.L., and there are tons of strategic options during an N.L. game. I would agree with those that think the DH is better, but, then we would all be wrong.

"I believe in the soul ... the small of a woman's back, the hanging curveball, high fiber, good scotch, that the novels of Susan Sontag are self-indulgent, overrated crap. I believe Lee Harvey Oswald acted alone. I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing Astroturf and the designated hitter." - Crash Davis (Kevin Costner) in Bull Durham (1988)

:wacko: great quote and I agree....I just want some damm consistency...

Well...there are always exceptions. Combined, pitchers in the NL batted .188 in 2008. And they do practice because they don't have that whack ass DH rule. Riveting.

For Ursa.

I'll expand and explain myself: I believe that whack-ass DH rule has removed even the simple expectation that pitchers should try to hit - in both leagues and it's infected the game itself. Two things about that .188 number: I think it's a least 50 points too high as several links Ive read have said otherwise, unless you were being charitable and 2) a .200-225 number is closer historically to what pitchers hit - it's difficult to find hard #'s but I have found references also to pitchers batting 240 for several years which is VERY respectable compared to a .130.

The last full decade of no DH is tough to gauge as well, since that's when pitchers dominated, the mound was high and Yaz won a batting crown in 68 hitting .301. I know it isn't going away anytime soon because it would basically cost the union some of the highest paying gigs. But I'll never like it. And don't get me started on how chickenchit AL pitchers can plunk dudes all day and never have to step up for retribution, which also like it or not (and I kinda do) is part of the game.

Edited by Pope Flick

Two of the comments:

...is that supposed to be surprising?

and

I think this would mean a bit more if we weren't talking about 4th string players, who normally play in AAA, or a position that is historically a much more finesse/defense oriented position.

Not sure that comparing NL pitchers to the backup, 3rd and 4th string catchers on the Twins is going to bolster the anti-DH case much.