[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Stay Classy Pit Bulls

alexgaddis

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a time when I thought it wasn't the dog (regardless of breed)...IT'S THE OWNER!!

I am now convinced it can be the breed and more important the breed-ing.

When we were looking to adopt a dog, I couldn't believe the number of Pitbulls/PB mixes. Ohhhh...excuse me....American Bulldog. :wacko:

You can't make them illegal, but something has to be done. They are a killing machine.

Typical.

I've never liked the breed, though I've met a few that were some of the sweetest dogs. My big concern is that you just never know when they'll snap. They have a latent trait that at any time, due to some stimulus, a switch will be flipped and they go Cujo on whatever is in their way.

There really does need to be a concerted effort to crack down on breeders of these animals.

Typical.

I've never liked the breed, though I've met a few that were some of the sweetest dogs. My big concern is that you just never know when they'll snap. They have a latent trait that at any time, due to some stimulus, a switch will be flipped and they go Cujo on whatever is in their way.

There really does need to be a concerted effort to crack down on breeders of these animals.

Yep, an animal Vet told me the same thing

It's really unbelievable how weak animal laws are in this country. Puppy mill owners should be euthanized....along with Michael Vick.

and the dildos at the other end of the leash with there pants on the ground, beaters and hat sideways :wacko:

There was a time when I thought it wasn't the dog (regardless of breed)...IT'S THE OWNER!!

When we were looking to adopt a dog, I couldn't believe the number of Pitbulls/PB mixes. Ohhhh...excuse me....American Bulldog. :wacko:

You can't make them illegal, but something has to be done. They are a killing machine.

People who think it is purely the owner are ignorant fools.

How many times do you hear the story of a kid who gets mauled and the owners say "the dog has been a saint for years".

If you own a pit bull you are an idiot - if you own a pit bull AND have a child you should be put down.

People who think it is purely the owner are ignorant fools.

How many times do you hear the story of a kid who gets mauled and the owners say "the dog has been a saint for years".

If you own a pit bull you are an idiot - if you own a pit bull AND have a child you should be put down.

What if you don't like or care about your child?

A lady who works with my wife has recently decided to breed pitbulls. Her new boyfriend has introduced her to this. She has an 8 YO and a 10 YO who go home from school while she is at work with these new fully grown animals that she want s to breed. She gave away her two other dogs she had for years so that she could breed pitbulls; why, because the pits were aggressive toward her other dogs...

Edited by SEC=UGA

I own a pit bull and have two kids. Good thing I already thought gb was an a$$hole.

Well at least they have a fighting chance. One can go get a gun and shoot it while the other is playing chew toy... :wacko:

I don't have a problem with banning them.

In some jurisdictions, pit bull (and some other breeds) owners face criminal liability if their dog attacks somebody. seems to me that this provides some incentive to: 1) get a less dangerous dog; and 2) keep it away from other mammals.

Ain't no reason to have those things around.

What if you don't like or care about your child?

A lady who works with my wife has recently decided to breed pitbulls. Her new boyfriend has introduced her to this. She has an 8 YO and a 10 YO who go home from school while she is at work with these new fully grown animals that she want s to breed. She gave away her two other dogs she had for years so that she could breed pitbulls; why, because the pits were aggressive toward her other dogs...

We'll see her redneck ass on the news in a few weeks/months.

"The breeding" still basically gets back to "the owner" ie a learned behavior - I agree it's not 100% that, but mostly it is. I've known pit bulls who were gentle and well-behaved. The real problem by far is all the knuckle-dragging POSs who buy them for a weapon, not a companion. I'd much rather hear how a pit mauled them, not some innocent bystander.

It's really unbelievable how weak animal laws are in this country. Puppy mill owners should be euthanized....along with Michael Vick.

Hey somebody else gets it. Sadly I this clearly isn't happening (not even the no-brainer tougher animal laws) any time soon, even after the way over-the-top Vick BS. Or if anything is done, it'll be so mild as to make little difference. Remember: this is the "anything goes" Era. People would basically whine that it's their right to abuse animals and be a mindless POS and win the day. Again.

White people don't do the pit bull thing.

I own a pit bull and have two kids. Good thing I already thought gb was an a$$hole.

Really?

White people don't do the pit bull thing.

They do around here.

As for the banning of the breed thing, it's just not really feasible, because you just bread it against another breed and, voila. Brand new breed.

Puppy mills? Absolutely, shut them all down. Punish those who's dogs injure others in accordance with how bad the injury is. That way, you'll think twice about getting a dangerous breed (both because they could be more likely to attack and could do more damage if they do). But banning of a breed is not really feasible.

I also have friends who are trying to rehab the image of pits and had a situation where we came across an abandoned pit puppy some time ago. The little guy was so sweet and, frankly, I couldn't help but think he was abandoned because he was such a little wimp and his owner wanted a side arm. We didn't keep him, but I could see the allure. He seemed so eager to please, which, from what I understand, is why they're so gullible and easy to turn into killers. Again, that's what I've heard.

I've also heard far too many stories about the angelic family pit who, all of a sudden, ripped one of the kids faces off, so there's that. I've also heard this lamely explained away by the fact, given the fact that the people mentioned it used to sleep on the bed with them (in explaining what a part of the family it was), that they confused the dog's place in the family. Sorry, but we let our dogs on the furniture, and, if this confuses their place in our home, they manifest that disobedience in less lethal ways. Like, they don't always come when called. But they're not chewing some kids face off while I'm trying to call them.

So, not sure where I stand in general on this, other than the fact that I realize banning a breed is not really something very doable or effective.