[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Stay Classy Pit Bulls

alexgaddis

52 Americans were killed by pit bulls between January 2006 and December 2008. In 2009 there were over 10,000 Americans killed in alcohol related traffic accidents alone. Grab another beer and protect me from a dog.

We're talking about dogs, here. Not drunk humans...

http://www.dogsbite.org/bite-study-deaths-maimings.htm

from 2006-2008

Of the 88 fatal dog attacks recorded by DogsBite.org, pit bull type dogs were responsible for 59% (52). This is equivalent to a pit bull killing a U.S. citizen every 21 days during this 3-year period.

Edited by SEC=UGA

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I talk about banning puppy mills, I also mean to ban breeders. There are so many examples of bad breeding endorsed by "reputable" breeders as well. You have dogs with no snouts that can barely breathe, you have dogs that their eyeballs fall out because people like the bug-eye look. Ridiculous. If we bred the anger into pitbulls, we can let it breed out of them as well. No, the dogs are not the problems. The owners and breeders are 100% the issue.

Edited by TimC

We're talking about dogs, here. Not drunk humans...

http://www.dogsbite.org/bite-study-deaths-maimings.htm

from 2006-2008

Of the 88 fatal dog attacks recorded by DogsBite.org, pit bull type dogs were responsible for 59% (52). This is equivalent to a pit bull killing a U.S. citizen every 21 days during this 3-year period.

No we are talking about banning something to make me safe.

100% of the alcohol-related fatalaties were alcohol related. You want to ban a dog that kills a person every 21 days while alcohol related vehicular deaths occur every 50 minutes?

Somebody save me from the dogs.

100% of the alcohol-related fatalaties were alcohol related. You want to ban a dog that kills a person every 21 days while alcohol related vehicular deaths occur every 50 minutes?

So, we get back to the subject of banning swimming pools, knives, guns, food and mosquitoes?

I just got a new home owner's policy. On the questionaire they asked if I had a Pit or a Rottie or a pool. They weren't concerned about guns, knives, cars, or alcohol...

most dogs have had the aggression towards humans and other dogs bred out of them over decades/centuries. unfortunately, a smaller subset of dogs have specifically had aggression toward other dogs bred IN. it just so happens that a very disproportionate number of those dogs bred for aggression fall under the pit bull breed characteristics. this muddies the waters a great deal for breeders and owners of the "good" pit bulls, as even dogs from seemingly non-aggressive stock may have been crossed at some point with a dog with fighting blood and it would be basically impossible to tell, at least until something bad happens. at this point, I would say the vast majority of dogs out there with the pit bull breed characteristics are, at the very least, suspect. it is reasonably forseeable that they may cause problems at some point. given all that, and absent any other effective way of dealing with the problem, breed specific legislation makes sense to me. people who seek out aggressive dogs need to face the consequences of that. people who seek out non-aggressive dogs have plenty of breeds -- including plenty of mixes, pound and rescue animals, etc. -- to choose from.

You mention killing - how many maulings or scars do people have on faces because of these dogs?

Call me an Ahole - I don't really care - just my opinion but if I had a child and had a CHOICE of what kind of dog to buy I would NOT get a pit bull. I have made an analogy before and I think it fits..

If you had a choice between two household cleaners and they both cleaned equally but one could seriously injure your child if swallowed and the other was basically natural and may give your child a tummy ache what cleaner would you CHOOSE to buy?

Sorry if I offended you but I can't believe people have a pit bull and small kids????

I have a dog. She is an australian shepherd/lab mix. If she "snapped" for no reason, I'd probably get a bite and have to go to the hospital. The problem with the gentle pit bull is that on those admittedly rare occasions it "snaps," you can end up mauled or dead.

I have children. I simply see no reason to take that kind of risk since by not bringing that type of animal into the house, I can avoid the risk.

I have a pool. When my children were young, I had a pool fence and locks at the top of the sliders. I sought to minimize my risk.

That's who I am. I seek to realistically minimize risks to me and my family where I can.

The people who live two houses down from me have a pit mix. Cool looking dog. One day a while back, my wife and I are out in the front yard and the lady walks by with the dog. Dog growls at us and the lady is shocked. She says she's never heard the dog growl at anyone before. Since then, we've found out the dog came from a pound (which doesnt mean anything bad necessarily but does make it tougher to tell what kind of pedigree and/or treatment the dog comes from) and I have been told by the neighbor immediately next door that the dog bit the neighbor lady (bad enough she needed treatment) in the house next to where the dog lives. I cant confirm if that is the case or not, but I can confirm that the dog has barked angrily from its yard (not fenced) at me and/or my wife and our dog when we are in our yard (which will be fenced this weekend or next at the latest). Hopefully, once my fence is up, that will give us some protection in case that dog were to ever get off its chain or loose of its owners and decide it wants to attack. Makes me very nervous, though, that there is no real protection for my wife when she is walking our dog (which is pretty much a daily occurance now that it is nice out). Also makes me nervous that many of the homes in our neigborhood have small kids who are always outside running/playing/etc. None of them would stand a chance if that dog went after them. :wacko:

Edited by Delicious_bass

lol

Anyone else read this and picture that scene from the Holy Grail about the logic behind why that lady was a witch?

You mention killing - how many maulings or scars do people have on faces because of these dogs?

Call me an Ahole - I don't really care - just my opinion but if I had a child and had a CHOICE of what kind of dog to buy I would NOT get a pit bull. I have made an analogy before and I think it fits..

If you had a choice between two household cleaners and they both cleaned equally but one could seriously injure your child if swallowed and the other was basically natural and may give your child a tummy ache what cleaner would you CHOOSE to buy?

Sorry if I offended you but I'm still going to be a judgmental (the really bad word).????

If SEC's chart is accurate you're talking about a breed of dog that kills 6 people a year in two countries for the last 28years. If you add the Pit mixes, it spikes to 6.25 per year. Get a grip. :wacko:

If SEC's chart is accurate you're talking about a breed of dog that kills 6 people a year in two countries for the last 28years. If you add the Pit mixes, it spikes to 6.25 per year. Get a grip. :wacko:

My gun has never killed anyone...

905 maimings and 1552 reported "attacks doing bodily harm"over the same time period. that's against humans. I couldn't find, but I'd be interested to see, stats for attacks on other dogs.

Sorry if I offended you but I can't believe people have a pit bull and small kids????

You can't? Most people are (the really bad word)ing idiots.

I automatically think less of someone who has a pitbull in the same house as small children. Does that make me an elitist prick? Maybe. Or maybe that's just the natural byproduct of being smarter than a (the really bad word)ing idiot.

You can't? Most people are (the really bad word)ing idiots.

I automatically think less of someone who has a pitbull in the same house as small children. Does that make me an elitist prick? Maybe. Or maybe that's just the natural byproduct of being smarter than a (the really bad word)ing idiot.

Agree 1000% but I guess I am the ahole???

Just makes no sense to me???

Well this thread isn't going to have much more of a life.

Club,

I meant no disrespect to you. Pits and Currently Rotties have a bad rap. It's deserved at least from the media's info and probably more. As I have stated IT'S THE BREEDERS and their money hungry attitude.

If you have a good Pit, God Bless you. All dogs can be made/bred to be vicious, and most can be trained well, but the Pit's physical attributes make it much more dangerous/difficult in the hands of someone who has no training skills or cares only to have a badass dog. I am sure that is not the reason you have one.

As far as the wacko comments here...I care not and will not comment on them except to say that personal attacks for the reason of one owning a particular breed of dog is ludicrous and displays the negative character of the poster.

I have a Catahoula mix. According to Sylvester Stalone it's "The BIG BULLY of the dog world!". (His quote from the Letterman show.) My neighbor who is in construction said a lot of guys on his sites have one to protect their tools when they are unguarded. She is ~3/4 the size of a full bred Catahoula, is sweet as can be, but I guess someone might say "You never know when/if she'll snap and attack." Time will tell but then again all the dogs we've had were never left alone w/ our kid, nor will this one be left alone w/ our Grandson.

I am sorry if my post was out of line.

rr26