[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

#1 Overall Pick In A New Dynasty League

If you can't trade down, I would take Adrian Peterson. Pretty much a secure top 5 back, consistently there each of the last 3 years or so, which can't really be said about any of the other playes you would consider.

If you can trade down, a bit less pressure to make the "right" pick and you can focus on picking youth with upside over the proven veteran player a bit with less detrimental ramifications if you pick wrong.

trade down and take Calvin or Nicks. Take any remotely good offer to trade down.

I like this advice...

In an inaugural 12 team IDP dynasty draft I participated in last season, top 15 RB's like Arian Foster, Peyton Hillis, Darren McFadden, Ahmad Bradshaw, and Green-Ellis all went late in a 50 round draft... other than McFadden who went late 10th round, the rest were 20th round or later... you can find guys that will get the job done outside the name players.

A theory I prescribe to is RB's have short careers for the most part... they take punishment, and get hurt/worn out/replaced often. Most don't produce over the long run. On the other hand, a stud #1 WR can take you on a long, sweet ride, They're more difficult to get a hold of because, unlike RB's who come into the League and prosper right away, most WR's take time to develop, so drafting rookies is a much dicier prospect.

Anyhow, if your league is scoring 6 points for passing TD's you might also want to consider a QB like Rodgers or Rivers. These guys are just entering their prime QB years, and should produce at the top of the game for near longer than you'd prolly want to contract them for... it's so nice to consistently feast from your QB week to week, than to feast-or-famine at that position.

I like this advice...

In an inaugural 12 team IDP dynasty draft I participated in last season, top 15 RB's like Arian Foster, Peyton Hillis, Darren McFadden, Ahmad Bradshaw, and Green-Ellis all went late in a 50 round draft... other than McFadden who went late 10th round, the rest were 20th round or later... you can find guys that will get the job done outside the name players.

A theory I prescribe to is RB's have short careers for the most part... they take punishment, and get hurt/worn out/replaced often. Most don't produce over the long run. On the other hand, a stud #1 WR can take you on a long, sweet ride, They're more difficult to get a hold of because, unlike RB's who come into the League and prosper right away, most WR's take time to develop, so drafting rookies is a much dicier prospect.

Anyhow, if your league is scoring 6 points for passing TD's you might also want to consider a QB like Rodgers or Rivers. These guys are just entering their prime QB years, and should produce at the top of the game for near longer than you'd prolly want to contract them for... it's so nice to consistently feast from your QB week to week, than to feast-or-famine at that position.

Yes but RB's also help you win this thing called championships. If you think your going to find the next Foster, Hillis or McFadden then by all means pass on what appears to be a sure thing.

If Bradshaw went in round 20 in your league they were asleep at the wheel. I can see Foster going late pending on what the draft was done (pre or post Tate injury), McFaden around round 10 sounds about right, Hillis late of course but no way Bradshaw should have gone below round 9-10 even with IDP.

Yes but RB's also help you win this thing called championships. If you think your going to find the next Foster, Hillis or McFadden then by all means pass on what appears to be a sure thing.

If Bradshaw went in round 20 in your league they were asleep at the wheel. I can see Foster going late pending on what the draft was done (pre or post Tate injury), McFaden around round 10 sounds about right, Hillis late of course but no way Bradshaw should have gone below round 9-10 even with IDP.

Exactly!! I snagged Bradshaw late in the draft knowing that Earth was gonna get picked first. Especially when Fire left for Tampa and did squat, I knew wind was gonna be the feature back on that team. Now I'm just waiting for Bradshaw to get traded as a feature role somewhere else and allow my stashed player Danny Ware to come up. Truly a thing of beauty when a plan comes together on draft day.

Anyways #1 pick always must be a no brainer with no chance of fail. Doesnt matter which position, because you can build around a Calvin, Andre, Adrian, Cj2k, Rice, Rogers. I would be more concerned about the later rounds where you find value and more chances to F'up if you dont pay attention.

Edited by ajfalcone

This. I couldn't ever imagine passing on a top RB, just because of some theoretical risks. The game is still all about picking the right players, and while those other owners are holding on to their WRs for years and scrounging for serviceable RBs, you can be winning championships... Not saying you should take always take RB in first, but it greatly lessens the risk over having to pick the right one in the later rounds or waiver-wire, where the bust-rate is going to be even higher.

Especially picking 1st overall, you take the RB you like best. I could make the argument for AP (safest bet, workhorse), CJ2K (huge upside/risk of lousy offense), or even Charles (huge potential with larger workload), though with the first pick and not picking until the end of the second, I lean toward AP as the guy to anchor your other less-certain picks.

Exactly!! I snagged Bradshaw late in the draft knowing that Earth was gonna get picked first. Especially when Fire left for Tampa and did squat, I knew wind was gonna be the feature back on that team. Now I'm just waiting for Bradshaw to get traded as a feature role somewhere else and allow my stashed player Danny Ware to come up. Truly a thing of beauty when a plan comes together on draft day.

Anyways #1 pick always must be a no brainer with no chance of fail. Doesnt matter which position, because you can build around a Calvin, Andre, Adrian, Cj2k, Rice, Rogers. I would be more concerned about the later rounds where you find value and more chances to F'up if you dont pay attention.

First, this is not the first time I've seen interest in Danny Ware, so I'll go ahead and say it; Ware wasn't even the best RB in UGA's committee. Very slim chance he ever does anything with playing time. Fools gold IMO.

I whole-heartedly agree with your second statement though. I usually tend to struggle with WR consistency, so I prefer to grab 2 by the 4th round, but you should always be flexible to go where you think the most value is, and not be so rigid in saying "I'm going to take X position and then X/Y position first". Every draft is different, so you gotta roll with the punches and estimate where the value is now and likely to be later.

Edited by delusions of granduer

Would you voluntarily pick 10th in a 14-team start up so you could get Calvin and then in the 4th round get Ryan Mathews and then Daniel Thomas in the rookie draft?

I know those RBs aren't that exciting, but I'd rather focus on top WRs in the first two rounds cuz it seems less risky going with stud WRs and decent RBs than stud RBs and decent WRs.

Would I pick that spot if I had a choice of any of them? No, because I'd rather a top 4 RB, and I think #6 is an ideal spot this year to pick up a RB and still have a chance at a top WR on the turnaround.

I'd prefer neither of your last statements. I'd rather get both a top RB and potentially top WR over having to choose... Not saying there's anything wrong with your strategy, but like I said, Matthews and Thomas are going to have to hit for you, and both busting could leave you in quite a bind. You've probably picked two good ones to have decent to good success, especially in time, but they aren't down that low for no good reason.

However, I think it brings up a good point that you can't always have everything, and so you do what you think is best according to your draft position and the flow of the draft. Once you get around 8-10, then I agree that elite WRs tend to become the best value there, and so you gotta do what you gotta do to address those other positions of need.

Would you voluntarily pick 10th in a 14-team start up so you could get Calvin and then in the 4th round get Ryan Mathews and then Daniel Thomas in the rookie draft?

I know those RBs aren't that exciting, but I'd rather focus on top WRs in the first two rounds cuz it seems less risky going with stud WRs and decent RBs than stud RBs and decent WRs.

For the first part, no, I wouldn't voluntarily choose that. Being a new dynasty league (as the OP has mentioned and I am assuming you are continuing for your premise), it is highly unlikely that Matthews and/or Thomas are close to being available when you are suggesting they could be taken. I have said it over the last few years and backed it up with statistics, but I am much more comfortable in my ability to get a top 10 WR in the 2nd and 3rd rounds than I am in finding a comparable RB much later. So, if I am going to take a gamble with my first pick, I am going to gamble on the best available RB. In order for the WR to come close to being the right value pick in the majority of setups, I pretty much have to be dead on in m ranking of who will be the #1 or #2 WR. For the RB, hitting on a top 10 guy will generally pay off more valuewise, especially when paired with the likely WRs available in the 2nd-4th rounds, which show a much smaller drop in value than the RBs.

For your 2nd statement, care to back the bolded up with any form of evidence?

:tup:

In the 14-team dynasty start up here on the Huddle, "You Only Dy Twice", I got Ryan Mathews at 4.04, so :wacko:

well, since it was my opinion based on my experiences, no, I'm not really interested in presenting evidence :lol:

Out of curiousity - IDP or not and 1 or 2 RB required?

Hmm, seems like good value pick then. Guess I'm a little higher on him than most in a dynasty format.

Huddle has him as the #12 RB this year and FBG has him as the #17 RB in dynasty format (though that equates to #27 overall on their board)

Seeing that in your league you have 1 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE and 2 flex positions as well as graduated PPR (0.75, 1.00, 1.50), and just looking at the scoring from last year, appears to be a wash, so long as you are highly confident that Johnson will be a top 3-5 WR (He was #6 last year, #23 in 2009)

Yes but RB's also help you win this thing called championships.

If I didn't think it was worthwhile advice, or hadn't experienced success with a particular philosophy I certainly wouldn't be offering it... just FYI...

Of course YMMV according to scoring system, so that's a factor to be aware of. In this example I had played in a very similar IDP dynasty for several years, so I had a good sense of which positions are rare and coveted.

If you think your going to find the next Foster, Hillis or McFadden then by all means pass on what appears to be a sure thing.

I don't think you go in with an expectation of getting an Arian Foster-type return(although we see this kind of jackpot at different positions every year), but you take your informed shots on guys you think are capable of starting for you.

In this example I took 4 RB's in the first 20 rounds and three crapped out (including Tate in the 9th), but Bradshaw and Tolbert(WW) ended up doing good work for me.

It goes without saying that we're all flexible with the positions/value being presented to us in any particular draft as it moves along... that said, in an inaugural dynasty draft the prime consideration for my top several picks is long term value(obviously within the context of building a complete lineup)... I'm looking for sustained performance beyond the first year or two, and as I explained in my initial post, it's my opinion that the WR position offers a better opportunity to get that return over a long period of time in a dynasty format over RB.

As an example, in the league I've been talking about(1QB - 1/2RB - 2/4WR - 1/3TE) I picked 9th overall(12 teams) and grabbed 4 WR's in my top 6 picks. In order chosen; Calvin, DeSean, White and Nicks(Rivers and Schaub were the other two in the top 6).

This offense put up 2300 pts. That was 2nd highest scoring(20 pts behind #1 and 250 pts ahead of #3)... overall this team was high scorer for the season and lost the championship by 2 points and change... I feel like this offense is set up to be competitive for many seasons going forward.

Bradshaw was my best RB(20th round), and I was able to grab Leshour with pick 1.11 this year... there will be other opportunities at RB in this league. Blount has been traded this off season and Jones-Drew is on the block.

It can be done! :wacko:

Edited by byron2112

In the FFPC dynasty start up I just wached, Mathews went #23 overall. This is more on line where I think he would go. A late 2nd or early 3rd.

Calvin went #6 overall as well. I don't see Calvin falling outside the top 7 in a dynasty start up, or I should say should not fall below that.

I have my own personal dynasty start up coming up in a few weeks. If I draw a top 6 pick I may just trade out of the 1st round and load up on 2nd and 3rd round picks. Last year I did 2 dynasty start ups after not doing any since 1997. Was something else. I spent a combined 5 weeks doing these 2 drafts and spent every waking hour going over every possible trade/pick situation. Worked out pretty good ended up winning 1 of the leagues and finishing in the final 4 in the other. One team is clearly stronger then the other though going into this year. In the 1 league I played chase the quality RB all year after starting my draft with a WR. I am still on chase mode in that league going into this year as well.

Many ways to build a team I started with Peterson in the league I won the title and I started with Andre in the league I finished in the final 4.

This year is going to be 10x tougher I think than last year in building a team. I hit on a lot of players last year where their value has increased and I don't know if I can manage that again. Hits on players like Mike Wallace, Hakeem Nicks, Mike Thomas, Hernandez, Freeman, Vick, Dez Bryant, ect.

Ok here is a reason why some players fell so far.

Pick 5 MJD way too early for me with those knee issues. I don't see him as a 1st round pick. Just personal preference not unheard of he would go at the end of round 1 but pick 5 way too high for me.

Pick 6 - Rodgers (Any QB in 1st round is just crazy to me) Rodgers went pick 19 in the FFPC one I seen this year.

Pick 14 - Rivers (certifiable nutty pick here) I love Rivers as much as the next guy but pick 14 ? Way too many good QBs to throw such a high pick away on a QB

Pick 18 - Vincent Jackson ? Wow way too high for my blood

Pick 22 - Reggie Wayne ? Is this a redraft or a dynasty league ? Someone just blew this 2nd round pick on maybe 1 year of goodness ? He might not even be back in Indy next year. No way Wayne should go this year. He is 32 right ? (Went in round 5 of the FFPC)

Pick 23 - Turner ? what in the heck is this ? He is 29 yr old RB. Come on people you can do better then this. (Round 6 in the FFPC)

No wonder Mathews feel so far. I certainly am not a Mathews fan but I would take him over Turner, Wayne, V-Jax and Rivers.

Edited by Henry Muto

Good call.

FWIW, I participated in my first New Dynasty Draft this spring and took WR with 3 of my first 5 picks. Roddy White, Dwayne Bowe, Mike Williams (TB).

Doesnt exist in sports. Just sayin

I don't think you go in with an expectation of getting an Arian Foster-type return(although we see this kind of jackpot at different positions every year), but you take your informed shots on guys you think are capable of starting for you.

In this example I took 4 RB's in the first 20 rounds and three crapped out (including Tate in the 9th), but Bradshaw and Tolbert(WW) ended up doing good work for me.

It goes without saying that we're all flexible with the positions/value being presented to us in any particular draft as it moves along... that said, in an inaugural dynasty draft the prime consideration for my top several picks is long term value(obviously within the context of building a complete lineup)... I'm looking for sustained performance beyond the first year or two, and as I explained in my initial post, it's my opinion that the WR position offers a better opportunity to get that return over a long period of time in a dynasty format over RB.

Again, well said :wacko:

One fact should be pointed out is that this 14 team league draft is different than many other leagues because the TE's get 1.5 PPR, WR's 1 PPR and RB's .75 PPR.

Edited by electricrelish

"I don't think you go in with an expectation of getting an Arian Foster-type return"

That would have been my choice. Where did he go?

Foster went #2 followed by the typical run on RB's. I figured long term Megratron would pay off. RB's have a much shorter shelf life. It was a gamble but what the heck. So right now I ma looking at a team of:

Megatron Johnson

Dez Bryant

Steve Johnson

Percy Harvin

Antonio Gates

I am a big fan of Percy, perhaps because he is a local kid.