[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Good chef knife

My hubby's really getting into cooking. Recnetly I got him a Thomas Keller cookbook and he bought another. He is really good too. We have standard Henkel knives but I want to get him one good chef knife for his b-day. Anthony Bourdain in Kitchen Confidential reccomends Global. Your thoughts? Need brand and blade size advice.

Meredith

My hubby's really getting into cooking. Recnetly I got him a Thomas Keller cookbook and he bought another. He is really good too. We have standard Henkel knives but I want to get him one good chef knife for his b-day. Anthony Bourdain in Kitchen Confidential reccomends Global. Your thoughts? Need brand and blade size advice.

Meredith

I don't like global. I hate the handles. Those are the all metal ones, right? They look cool, I just hate using them.

My wife got me a beautiful Shen 8" Western Chef by Kershaw and I love it. Mines made for right handed people. Not sure if that's all they make or not.

Don't get anything larger than an 8" chef's knife. Bigger than that and they get unweildy for most tasks.

I have an 8" Shun. The stores in my area have fairly regular sales so if you look around you can find it quite a bit cheaper than msrp. Seems expensive until you realize you'll never need to buy another knife. I've had it for a few years and pretty much can't live without it.

http://www.amazon.com/Shun-DM0706-Classic-...s/dp/B0000Y7KNQ

I've also tried out a couple Globals in-store. The handles really are kinda funky. The ones I tried are also really light and I think it's nice when a knife has some weight to it. I'd get him a gift certificate to a place with a decent inventory and let him pick it out. I was convinced I wanted a Global until I actually got my hands on it.

Edited by mrip

• 1 month later...