[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

U.S.A.

Brentastic

:wacko:http://www.treehugger.com/files/2011/07/mi...ggie_garden.php

It just doesn't get more ridiculous than this.

Julie Bass of Oak Park, Michigan -- a mother of 6, law-abiding citizen, and gardener -- is facing 93 days in jail after being charged with a misdemeanor.

Her crime? Planting a vegetable garden in the front yard.

Bass says that she planted the garden after her front yard was torn up for some sewer repairs. Rather than wasting the opportunity to start with a clean slate by planting a lawn, she decided to really put the area to use, and plant a vegetable garden.

Her garden consists of 5 raised beds, where she grows a mix of squashes, corn, tomatoes, flowers, and other veggies. Bass received a warning from the city telling her to remove the vegetable garden, because it doesn't adhere to city ordinances (more on that later.) When she refused, she was ticketed and charged with a misdemeanor. Her trial, before a jury, is set to begin on July 26th. If she is found guilty, she can be sentenced to up to 93 days in jail.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought you would take the USA angle and say they were in Canada.

Meh, outside of North Dakota where no one lives, every state that touches a piece of Canada is a hugh loser place right now. That much is crystal clear. There is a good reason we should lower the Northern border about 500 miles and start living in prosperity again.

PS....for more food for thought...The Earth is Hollow and there are what is known as fractured civilizations living in these realms!!! On the Moon as well!!!

THE TRUTH WILL SET YOU FREE!!!!

:wacko:

Brent, if you want to blame anyone, blame the a-hole neighbors who filed the complaint, because the ordinance is a matter of people not wanting eyesores in their community, and has nothing to do with some conspiracy to control the food supply.

Yes, those folks at Monsanto can burn in hell as far as I'm concerned, but let's get a little perspective here.

Uh, I don't see anything wrong with this at all :wacko:, other than they should have told her to move it to the backyard, and given her ample time to do so.

It would suck large for home values in my neighborhood if everyone started growing tomatoes, carrots and corn directly in front of their homes.

:wacko:

Brent, if you want to blame anyone, blame the a-hole neighbors who filed the complaint, because the ordinance is a matter of people not wanting eyesores in their community, and has nothing to do with some conspiracy to control the food supply.

Yes, those folks at Monsanto can burn in hell as far as I'm concerned, but let's get a little perspective here.

No, I blame the laws (sure the neighbors are pricks too). It's nobody's business what I do with MY property. There should not be a law that tells me what to do unless that something harms other people. Outside of that, why should a select few decide what's best for me or what I can or cannot do with my property/money?

Eyesore? Really? If laws are being written that have do with cosmetics, then SHAM WOW! is bass ackwards. Let's be real here.

Well, it's their property - they should be able to do what they want with it.

Within reason. Every homeowner has a responsibility to their neighbors as well as themselves, otherwise everywhere will wind up like South Carolina with fridges and old pickup trucks on what used to be the lawn.

Within reason. Every homeowner has a responsibility to their neighbors as well as themselves, otherwise everywhere will wind up like South Carolina with fridges and old pickup trucks on what used to be the lawn.

That's the pussification of America talking for you. Buy more land if you're so damned worried about your neighbors taste in lawncare.

What's next? Laws that define what time of day I can take a poop with my bathroom window open so my poor neighbors aren't inconvenienced?

Seriously, anyone defending this law needs to grow a pair.

That's the pussification of America talking for you. Buy more land if you're so damned worried about your neighbors taste in lawncare.

What's next? Laws that define what time of day I can take a poop with my bathroom window open so my poor neighbors aren't inconvenienced?

Seriously, anyone defending this law needs to grow a pair.

Not defending it, but it is what it is... Like you said, you can certainly move out to the country where you'll be far enough away from your neighbors to where they don't have these ordinances.

Things are a lot different when you live in the city, right or wrong.

Not defending it, but it is what it is... Like you said, you can certainly move out to the country where you'll be far enough away from your neighbors to where they don't have these ordinances.

Things are a lot different when you live in the city, right or wrong.

The bottom line is that there should not be a law regarding this. And this is one tiny example of many. The existence of the law itself is not a good sign for us moving forward.

is it legal to put up a fence large enough that no one can see your front yard, so you can do with it as you please?

That is illegal here. No fence beyond the front of the house may exceed 3 feet.

is it legal to put up a fence large enough that no one can see your front yard, so you can do with it as you please?

I usually use Mexicans I find on the side of the road and stack them up as high as I want.