[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

U.S.A.

Brentastic

Gotcha....so who gets to decide what is "reasonable"? Hopefully, not the nutjob woman planting vegetables in her front yard. And hopefully not my next door neighbor.

So now people who want to grow their own vegetables are nutjobs? Are you sure you got the right nutjob?

But to answer your question - different people who make them now. I mean, are you really happy with the politicians and lawmakers who are guiding this ship now? If your answer is yes, well, I don't know what to say to that.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you dont like a local ordinance . . take it to your local gubmnet council meeting.

Dont like the answer? Then run for city councilman or alderman.

Still dont like it? Then freakin move.

Or better yet, grow the vegetables in your backyard

I can disagree with what the speed limit is all the time. But bleating about how my freedom is being impinged upon because I cant drive 100 miles an hour without getting a ticket is asinine.

If you dont like a local ordinance . . take it to your local gubmnet council meeting.

Dont like the answer? Then run for city councilman or alderman.

Still dont like it? Then freakin move.

Or better yet, grow the vegetables in your backyard

I can disagree with what the speed limit is all the time. But bleating about how my freedom is being impinged upon because I cant drive 100 miles an hour without getting a ticket is asinine.

You're right (regarding bolded) because speeding can cause harm or death to somebody else who is not speeding. Growing fruits and vegetables in your own yard harms nobody and should never have a law dis-allowing it. I can't believe you're even trying to argue this with me. Just shows how brainwashed most people are. :wacko: It's a law, it must be right and we must obey!!! The government is GOD!!!!!

Give me a freaking break with that b.s. It's a bad law, just admit it already.

You're right (regarding bolded) because speeding can cause harm or death to somebody else who is not speeding. Growing fruits and vegetables in your own yard harms nobody and should never have a law dis-allowing it. I can't believe you're even trying to argue this with me. Just shows how brainwashed most people are. :wacko: It's a law, it must be right and we must obey!!! The government is GOD!!!!!

Dude, it does effect people. As long as it takes money to buy fruits and veggies, you're costing them money if they can't sell their houses because the whole neighborhood looks like a pike nursury.

Have you ever been to a city council meeting? It's a far more of a pure law than most, because it's by the people in the community it affects. It isn't like we're talking about some big brother federal mandate. We're talking about a community that collectively decided that it was in the best interest of their property values not allow things that would clearly hurt them if everyone were able to treat their yard however they want. It doesn't matter if you think it's right or wrong to place such importance on property value and vanity, that's their right and perogative as a community to protect the value of their property.

As has been said, you are certainly free to live in a place where your property is of little concern to your neighbors. But when you choose to live in a city/community, then no, it isn't all just about you and your "right" to garden in your front yard. It affects other people, and it sets a bad precedent to where you can't draw a clear line "why can't I keep all this scrap metal in my front yard. That guy Brent has 5 greenhouses and a small cornfield in his".

Like it or hate it, but people in highly populated areas have to coexist.

Edited by delusions of granduer

I tried on the Oak Park website to find the ordinance and when it was created, but to no avail.

That being said, it doesn't change the basis of my stance. If it was only put in place after she purchased the house, she should have either known that, or looked into it and found out that, what she intended to do was illegal. Then, she could either: move, don't do it, legally try and get the law changed.

Right? Again, this is on her, the law is in place. It wasn't made after she put the garden up, the garden was installed while the law was already in place. But the poor, poor little lady only wants to put a garden in her front yard, so screw the laws and ordinances. :wacko:

Amen.

When I was in college, the city sent me a letter telling me to cut my lawn within X amount of days or they'd do it for like $100 after I let it go for a month or so. Stupid government regulations!

Why do I have the feeling that if you lived near someone who planted a garden in the front yard and let this garden go completely unkept and it was a complete eyesore you would be whining and beeyotching???

People don't always take care of gardens and they can be quite an eyesore - this may hurt YOUR property value - you are fine with this if it is your value that is being hurt? I think not.

Have you ever been to a city council meeting? It's a far more of a pure law than most, because it's by the people in the community it affects. It isn't like we're talking about some big brother federal mandate. We're talking about a community that collectively decided that it was in the best interest of their property values not allow things that would clearly hurt them if everyone were able to treat their yard however they want. It doesn't matter if you think it's right or wrong to place such importance on property value and vanity, that's their right and perogative as a community to protect the value of their property.

There is some validity to this. There is also validity to the opinion that by far the worst rulemakers and busybodies are found at local council level.

You're right (regarding bolded) because speeding can cause harm or death to somebody else who is not speeding. Growing fruits and vegetables in your own yard harms nobody and should never have a law dis-allowing it. I can't believe you're even trying to argue this with me. Just shows how brainwashed most people are. :tup: It's a law, it must be right and we must obey!!! The government is GOD!!!!!

If I CHOOSE to speed on a deserted country road with no one there then is it OK? :wacko:

I stand by it . . if you dont like it, then go to a council meeting or run for alderman to change it. be part of the solution, and dont just bitch on the sidelines about your freedom to grow rutabagas in your front yard is being impinged.

Hell, if I gave my front yard over to "freedom" and never cut it, grew weeds, etc, my neighbors, homeowners association and LOCAL municipality would be pretty damn pissed. Because if my eyesore causes THEIR home value to drop then I AM infringing on their "rights" arent I? Or did I just blow your mind with the last statement?

Or move to the country :lol: Pretty sure I cant have a Horse farm in teh city, SO I DONT DO IT. I dont beat my chest about how unfair it is and whine.

That's the pussification of America talking for you. Buy more land if you're so damned worried about your neighbors taste in lawncare.

What's next? Laws that define what time of day I can take a poop with my bathroom window open so my poor neighbors aren't inconvenienced?

Seriously, anyone defending this law needs to grow a pair.

You're off base: negatively impacting neighborhood home values is everyone's business. Your analogy is apple and oranges and fails.

"Buy more land" is a bigger joke than telling someone to find another job. Your inability to process these salient facts, not to mention she clearly broke the law tells me you don't need to grow a pair, but rather grow up.

Edited by Pope Flick

Why do I have the feeling that if you lived near someone who planted a garden in the front yard and let this garden go completely unkept and it was a complete eyesore you would be whining and beeyotching???

People don't always take care of gardens and they can be quite an eyesore - this may hurt YOUR property value - you are fine with this if it is your value that is being hurt? I think not.

I don't bitch and whine about my neighbors. Never called the police on anyone either. I'm one of those people who rarely mows and I couldn't care less about 'eyesores'. That's just me I guess. I care about important issues, not petty ones.

You're off base: negatively impacting neighborhood home values is everyone's business. Your analogy is apple and oranges and fails.

"Buy more land" is a bigger joke than telling someone to find another job. Your inability to process these salient facts, not to mention she clearly broke the law tells me you don't need to grow a pair, but rather grow up.

I'd like to see the proof that a garden negatively impacts home prices in the neighborhood.

What facts don't I process correctly? TIA, dad.

E2A: My analogy does work. If you care that much about how nice you or your neighbor's lawn looks, then you're a big fat hairy p*ssy, imho.

Edited by Brentastic

I don't bitch and whine about my neighbors. Never called the police on anyone either. I'm one of those people who rarely mows and I couldn't care less about 'eyesores'. That's just me I guess. I care about important issues, not petty ones.

So is it possible that you are actually her?? :wacko:

This is either really funny or the master fishing trip of all time in the tailgate, or maybe both. :wacko:

She should be brought to trial cuz that's the law, but the jury should do their duty and change the law by not following it and setting a precedent.

PS....for more food for thought...The Earth is Hollow and there are what is known as fractured civilizations living in these realms!!! On the Moon as well!!!

these laws were added within the last year or 2 in most areas in this country and in most cases they don't want you to have a garden period..

this all started with Michelle Obama and her vegetable garden that was 99% toxic because she used human waste as fertilizer

I care about important issues, not petty ones.

:tup:

:lol:

I'd like to see the proof that a garden negatively impacts home prices in the neighborhood.

What facts don't I process correctly? TIA, dad.

E2A: My analogy does work. If you care that much about how nice you or your neighbor's lawn looks, then you're a big fat hairy p*ssy, imho.

What an incredibly stupid thing to say.

I absolutely would care if my neighbor put a garden in his front lawn or never mowed it or the like. If you do these things, I don't want you as my neighbor 'cause it makes the whole neighborhood look like crap and you're selfish and have no respect for your neighbors or their investments which makes you trash in my book. If that makes me a "big fat hair p*ssy" in your book, I'm perfectly ok with that, 'cause you would be stupid a-s white trash in mine.

This is either really funny or the master fishing trip of all time in the tailgate, or maybe both. :wacko:

:tup:

:lol:

my quote had an actual article and I posted it here....it was on the front page of AOL....

edit: I can't find where I posted it here but here's an article by dailyfinance

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2009/07/30/mic...se-organic-gar/

Edited by Avernus

unless she's lived there less than 2 years this is highly unlikely...

I didn't say the law was there before she bought her house....I said the law was likely there before her garden. it sounds like she just planted her garden recently :wacko: I doubt the law went into place in the last few weeks.

I'm with Brent, I think all zoning laws should be thrown out. Who is to tell me that I can't raise Alpacas on a 1/4 acre lot. That and I look forward to the day they open up a crematory next to my house.