[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

"Futbol" speak

detlef

Listen, I'm all fired up about the woman's semifinal game and thought the game vs Brazil was about as compelling a sporting event as I've watched.

But can we all quit with making sure we use the right words, even when they don't matter. Picking up the paper this morning, there was a photo of Hope Solo (which I'm more than cool with) with a caption about "training" yesterday. We call that "practice". We talkin' 'bout practice. Just like we call a flat grass surface where games are played a "field".

If there were a car race in England that we had a rooting interest in, would we start calling the hoods to our cars "bonnies" (or whatever the hell they call them?). "Check under the bonnie?" "Excuse me?" "Oh, I'm sorry, the world cup of auto racing is going on in England right now, so I figured we should start calling things what the Brits do until it's over."

Sure, use the right words to describe penalty kicks and things specifically relevant to the sport. But this nonsense about feeling the need to change what we call practice and hearing dudes who concern themselves with "futbol" about as often as we have a world cup team that doesn't suck calling a field a "pitch" never ceases to amuse me.

I just watch for the bouncing boobs. I wish they didn't even show the ball...just the women running around in slow motion. And can they replace the soccer yapping that no one cares about with some nice 70's pr0n music....chicka-chicka-bow-wow. Hell, it's probably going to end in a zero-zero tie anyways and then we move on to a completely different game to decide it. Soccer sucks. Women's soccer is even worse.

I just watch for the bouncing boobs. I wish they didn't even show the ball...just the women running around in slow motion. And can they replace the soccer yapping that no one cares about with some nice 70's pr0n music....chicka-chicka-bow-wow. Hell, it's probably going to end in a zero-zero tie anyways and then we move on to a completely different game to decide it. Soccer sucks. Women's soccer is even worse.

That's nil-nil. And it is a draw not a tie. :wacko:

Don't you think it'd be more fun to allow players to go anywhere on the field? If you don't want an opposing player hanging around your goal, then you'd have to keep a defender there. Just seems like it'd open up the game more.

But I watch rarely, so I'm sure my opinion is ill-formed.

Reminds me of a great term from my childhood when we played hoops. " Stop Chippy hanging"

Or it goes to overtime extra time, which is not a sudden death golden ball situation

I thought it was golden goal.

At any rate, when we're done banishing this crap, can we stop adding an extra "e" at the end of shop and grill? If I was on a panel coming up with a name for a new restaurant and they wanted to use the word "grill" in the name, I would thorp anyone who suggested we add an "e" because "it would sound classier".